+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 61 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all thought I'd pop by and ask a few questions. I've been through this before, its baby number 4 after all for me lol. I've always been a lovably large girl and my first dr was so wonderful regarding my weight the first three times. I mean he didn't lie and say I wasn't overweight but he didn't make me feel like poop about it either, put it straight, I was very healthy just big. I'm worried though as this baby won't be born under his care. I'm in a new city which is enough turmoil and now I have a new dr I will meet on monday for the first time and I'm nervous as to what his attitude to my size will be. Don't get me wrong, i like me. I'm never going to be skinny and I'm okay with that but this time round having no family or support apart from my lovely husband and three kids I'm a bit nervous on the whole lark.

Just kinda wanted to get that out into the universe and not just let it sit in my brain

Hope everyone is baking nicely

Jen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Jen,

I've had to face a lot of new doctors and have always worried about what they're going to say in regards to my weight, pregnant or not. I have found the best way to approach it is to mention it myself first. Point out the white elephant in the room, in other words! They inevitably ask are you in good health, and I always make a comment that I am aside from being overweight. Acknowledging it yourself first seems to take the pressure off of them of pointing it out to you like you don't know. Most Dr's dont pursue the matter, but those that do, ask questions like do you need any help with that, or what are you doing about that which are fair questions. I say that I am monitoring my diet, exercising as much as possible etc and also mention if I've lost any weight recently. If I need help I say so too.

I have had the pleasure of being classed in the Obesity High Risk group this time around as my BMI is over 35 . I only needed to lose 2 more kilos and I wouldn't have been. The Dr I saw was nice about it though and they seem to appreciate a more pro-active approach, than a bury your head in the sand in denial approach.

At the end of the day if you are overweight but generally healthy then it will show with the facts, your Blood Pressure will be good, you wont have signs of diabetes and other things like kidney function test etc will be clear too. So they wont have any cause for concern.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I did find out & its 35 bmi mine is 32 & I am loosing weight at the momment down to 81.5 so hopefully fingers crossed I wont have a problem with having the baby at our local country hospital

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey ladies, thought I would get in on the action in here and share my story from today.
    A bit sad as today I went for my booking appointment at King Edward Family Birth Centre, and was told I couldn't go because I have a BMI of just over 40! Apparently if it is more than 35 you can't do FBC anyway, but given that their scaled weighed me a whole 3.5kg extra I added an extra 2 points to my BMI which makes me a little upset.
    So it turns out I'll be going to KEMH like I wanted in the beginning, but it's slightly annoying as I had just gotten used to the whole FBC thing (no epidural, baths and warm water as pain relief with possible gas and air etc.) and now I'm a little worried about going KEMH. Plus I feel a little lost now because it went from here's all our pager numbers and contact numbers if you are having any issues to, you can't have these you're ineligible for the FBC, you'll have to wait 7 more weeks before you get to see the midwives in the labour ward... What happens between now and then? I don't have my GP anymore, we parted ways so I could go FBC, and now I'm just floating in the wind in the King Eddie's filing system with no official place to be right now.

Just feeling a little low about it. They should certainly be a bit more organised about the situation, i.e. okay let's book you in next week, later this week if possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by BeginnerMummy View Post
    Hey ladies, thought I would get in on the action in here and share my story from today.
    A bit sad as today I went for my booking appointment at King Edward Family Birth Centre, and was told I couldn't go because I have a BMI of just over 40! Apparently if it is more than 35 you can't do FBC anyway, but given that their scaled weighed me a whole 3.5kg extra I added an extra 2 points to my BMI which makes me a little upset.
    So it turns out I'll be going to KEMH like I wanted in the beginning, but it's slightly annoying as I had just gotten used to the whole FBC thing (no epidural, baths and warm water as pain relief with possible gas and air etc.) and now I'm a little worried about going KEMH. Plus I feel a little lost now because it went from here's all our pager numbers and contact numbers if you are having any issues to, you can't have these you're ineligible for the FBC, you'll have to wait 7 more weeks before you get to see the midwives in the labour ward... What happens between now and then? I don't have my GP anymore, we parted ways so I could go FBC, and now I'm just floating in the wind in the King Eddie's filing system with no official place to be right now.

Just feeling a little low about it. They should certainly be a bit more organised about the situation, i.e. okay let's book you in next week, later this week if possible.
    Hugs..
    Sorry i have only just saw this.
    Firstly welcome to our little group.
    If i were you I would go back to gp and do your normal visit with them (as shared care) until you can get in the hospital.

Next I have had 5 births with a bmi of 35 to 59.7, I have always had the option of warm water, baths, showers, gas and air etc... in fact that is all I have ever used. So don't stress just yet. Wait until you talk to them at the hospital before you start to freak out about anything.

If you ever want to chat you can pm me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

BeginnerMummy  (09-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BeginnerMummy View Post

Hi there,

Sorry to hear that you have been stuffed around by the hospital systems, I agree with loving6 that you should go back to your GP for shared care until the hospital sees you, at least it will give you peace of mind that someone is monitoring your pregnancy for the time being.

Also, my public hospital that I am going to still has all the things available - baths and warm water as pain relief with possible gas and air etc - birthing balls, birthing stools, large beds, soft lighting etc the no epidural thing can be very easily solved by writing on your birth plan that under no circumstances do you want epidural and tell them when you get there that its your goal to have as natural a birth as possible and you want to avoid an epi. The midwives I've had for all 4 of my labours have been very supportive with me in not getting an epi and that I just wanted the gas.

I hope that your GP takes you back and that the hospital works something out quickly for you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum5 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm booked in at KEMH, and have a high BMI too. You have all those things avail able at KEMH, EXCEPT the bath option. there are only 2 baths I think (!) and they say they don't allow high BMI -ers to go in as it's a risk getting them out, or some such.

My plan is also to use warm shower, no epi and gas and air. I printed the birth template from BH and wrote it all down, but when I went for a CTG the other day, the midwives took it out of my book and misplaced it.

Hopefully the less detailed one in the orange book they give you will be heeded, so far though they have all been very good and have let me direct my own choices, especially in refusing induction - which was booked for today!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to northern For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I gave birth at KEMH with a BMI around 35 107kgs and they let me in the bath it was just after being admitted so not in intense labor but they did let me in.

bambino is offline Autistic Today, My Genius Tomorrow
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Ladies,

I'm sorry to just drop by, but I noticed your thread and was wondering if you would be able to help me out.

I'm sorry to intrude and I hope not to tread on any toes here.

I'm currently studying Childhood Nutrition, and I'm on my 3rd assignment, which discusses overweight/obesity and pregnancy.
    I have to discuss nutritional guidelines for a mother who is currently pregnant and overweight.

Can you tell me, what sort of guidelines did your Dr/Ob/Gyno gave you to follow nutrition wise during pregnancy e.g. vitamins, supplements, what foods to avoid, what foods to consume etc, watching your weight, dieting, exercising, that sort of stuff.

I'm finding it hard to search this on the internet as lot of the info comes from the USA.
    I was hoping one of you lovely ladies would like to share your info with me?
    No names will be mentioned in my assignment.

Thanks heaps in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by bambino View Post
    Hi Ladies,

I'm sorry to just drop by, but I noticed your thread and was wondering if you would be able to help me out.

I'm sorry to intrude and I hope not to tread on any toes here.

I'm currently studying Childhood Nutrition, and I'm on my 3rd assignment, which discusses overweight/obesity and pregnancy.
    I have to discuss nutritional guidelines for a mother who is currently pregnant and overweight.

Can you tell me, what sort of guidelines did your Dr/Ob/Gyno gave you to follow nutrition wise during pregnancy e.g. vitamins, supplements, what foods to avoid, what foods to consume etc, watching your weight, dieting, exercising, that sort of stuff.

I'm finding it hard to search this on the internet as lot of the info comes from the USA.
    I was hoping one of you lovely ladies would like to share your info with me?
    No names will be mentioned in my assignment.

Thanks heaps in advance.

I'll help you as much as possible. I see dietitian every few weeks. (i have a gastric sleeve so my intake is small but that is the only difference. I have been told to eat high folate foods (oranges, almonds, apricots, etc.....) High protein foods mainly beef as I was low in b12 and i don't eat seafood. Low carbs eg bread only every second day.

Vitamins a pregnancy multi and megafol 5 (5mg folic acid)

Exercise gentle no stress, no getting red in face, walk but not sing etc....

With the normal No no list or food.

Pretty much the same as pre pregnancy with the added foods or boosting levels.

BTW pre pregnancy I had lost 88 kgs.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

bambino  (08-11-2011)