Closed Thread
Page 74 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @Malak: In principle that you can do the FNA mapping and then do the mTESE later on here. Smik has done the FNA mapping with Turek in the states. Unfortunately, they didn't find any sperm with the mapping. Her FS here in Oz was against it with a good reason. What if the removed tubules from the mapping are the only ones with sperms in it? So subsequent mTESE won't be a success. I don't think they can do FNA mapping simultaneously with mTESE + IVF. Of course, one can only try. I would have gone down this option first if it is available here in Oz.

Thanks @MissJude and @twoSouls for your reply and a push to ensure me that it all will turn out to be OK.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    bbhope, my clinic in Brisbane sources their sperm from Xytex in the US. Both times we browsed profiles, there were about 9 or 10 to choose from. They had photos too. We picked someone who was nearly as tall as DH, and also had dark hair like DH did before he went silver prematurely, lol. Oh, and brown eyes like DH. DH wasn't overly happy witth he choices, but he was (understandably) extremely picky. We also went for one of the healthiest ones in terms of lack of hereditary conditions, which was the most important thing for me. I think honestly you're probably never going to find the "perfect" donor... it's such a hard thing to choose.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariele View Post
    bbhope, my clinic in Brisbane sources their sperm from Xytex in the US. Both times we browsed profiles, there were about 9 or 10 to choose from. They had photos too. We picked someone who was nearly as tall as DH, and also had dark hair like DH did before he went silver prematurely, lol. Oh, and brown eyes like DH. DH wasn't overly happy witth he choices, but he was (understandably) extremely picky. We also went for one of the healthiest ones in terms of lack of hereditary conditions, which was the most important thing for me. I think honestly you're probably never going to find the "perfect" donor... it's such a hard thing to choose.
    @Sariele: we did find few "perfect" matches on the US sperm bank site. They have them ready to ship if we are willing to do the ivf or iui in Asia. We cannot afford the full round ivf in Asia so only iui as a choice. given the low success rate for iui and the iui cost is equivalent to one cycle out of pocket ivf here in oz, we give this up for now.

Dh is very light color so it is extremely difficult for us. Once we gave up one of the two (hair or eye color), we realised that we could have chosen x or y donor earlier on. But again, if we would have been presented someone who exactly matches dh physical characteristics and few aren't but match on other things at the same time, the process might have been easier. In any case, after seeing so many donors with hereditary health problem, we have come down to pick someone who is healthy.

I find photo isn't necessary a good thing because I can't help but think our baby will not look like dh. The donor we picked has no facial similarity to dh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ours didn't either. But you know what, our DS looks like my brother, and nothing like the donor at all really, so even though it's not something you can predict, there's a chance the baby will take after your side.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope that is what I am afraid of. Doing FNA mapping and then doing the mTESE and then finding none.

What I wondering though is does the FNA give you getter odds to find sperm at mTESE? Basically, without a FNA would they find hidden sperm during a mTESE?

Just trying to get my head around it and figure out if FNA is worth the risk and cost or if mTESE is the best way to go?

I am on an American forum where one lady's DH just did the FNA mapping and are awaiting their results. I am quite egar to hear how they get on.

I just dream for the day when with tests or an xray or something they can tell you if there will be sperm without having so much waiting time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Sariele: believe it or not, I so wanted our bio child to look like DH. Perhaps I just don't like my side of gene all that much. So it is still hard for me to accept that it is over. The fear of not knowing what our bio child would look like. You are right about how funny genetic works sometime. My friend baby has nada from the father. Same as my nephew.

@Malak: which american forum you are on? I am curious. Turek is talking about using "spectra". I would say that if one has many pockets of tubule that produce sperms, then the chance of success with FNA mapping and mTESE is higher. For closure, mTESE is still the best way to go as you have some one looks into every possible part. The benefit of FNA mapping is if all the tubules look the same then finding the good ones can be very difficult with mTESE. FNA is used as a guide. My DH has a good case (late maturation arrest) but for whatever reason, all his tubules just don't produce sperms!!! So people with spematid have success and us with sperms without. It is just bad luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope. I will PM you the forum since I do not know if I am allowed to post it here.

It is one of those things of which is the best way to go. I originally thought that FNA mapping allowed them to find the sperm for mTESE and without FNA there might be some sperm that they can't find. Is that assumption correct? I am beginning to think that I am wrong and that FNA is just another added cost to the process and you will still find the sperm though mTESE regardless of if you do FNA or not (might take a bit longer though).

Thanks
    Reviews
    First thing first. Your DH needs to do a needle biopsy to find out what you are dealing with. Sertoli cell only, early maturation arrest etc. According to Turek, late maturation arrest is quite unusual and mTESE might miss the sperms because all tubules look similar. FNA mapping might have helped in my DH case. But, is it true? I really don't know the answer because a skilled and experienced surgeon like DrG did find that one pocket. If FNA mapping is easily available to us here in Oz, I might in fact push DH to do it as a closure. On the other hand, if that's the only pocket of tubules that produce sperms, FNA mapping early on might have taken it out and we might not have found any sperm in mTESE. So it is a very difficult question to ask. Another unknown question is if the retrieved sperms are viable.

DH has come to term with this all. I think men are stubborn head but they do come around quicker than women. Funny that DH ended up the one who convinced me about the donor selection. He was picky at the beginning but then realized that there is no guarantee what you would get on the genetic make up so we should focus on the well being of the child instead. Who knows if we ever get that live birth........FX for that.
    Last edited by bbhope; 16-12-2014 at 18:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why do you need to find out what you are dealing with first? From what I have read there is no way to know if there will be sperm until they do the mTESE. DH has got his biposy at the end of January (hopefully). If it doesn't go ahead because of not being able to get hospital I am going to find another one to do it.

My main concern with mapping is losing the only sperm he has and it is quite expensive too ... I read $7k eeek. If in Australia would be easier to decide but US all those additional costs too.

Everyone who is going through fertility issues says that it is harder for the female to come to terms with it than males.

I actually found out someone had had a baby the other day and then the next day at work I was annoyed about something and then ended up crying . Luckily my team leader wasn't there and the one I was next to when I started crying knows what is happening.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is certainly true that there is no way they know if there is sperms until they do the mTESE. I guess it is just for a peace of mind of knowing what you are dealing with and then perhaps to evaluate if the extra FNA mapping effort is worth it. Also, another important factor to consider....if your DH has abnormal volume, the more samples they take away, the more it will affect his hormone production. DH was suggested to do BT 3 months after the surgery.

Yes, if it is in Australia, it is easier to decide..........

Hugs....i'm still crying on and off. It is never an easy decision. Being told about not going to have your bio child is a cruel thing it could happen.