Closed Thread
Page 61 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone. Was on this forum a while back & have been keeping tabs on what's going on! Good luck to you all!

My dh was diagnosed with Sertoli Cell Only Syndrome nearly 7 years back. Due to my amh <1, I wasn't responding to ivf cycles & therefore my cycles as well as DH micro tese were being cancelled. We bit the bullet, travelled to San Francisco & completed a sperm mapping procedure with Dr Turek. Our drs in Australia completely disagreed with it, but by doing this procedure we were able to determine DH had no viable sperm, but also his diagnosis was actually a combination of scos/maturation arrest. After so many years we were just so relived we knew where we stood.

Our donor is DH older brother who offered right back when all our fertility problems started. It was a harder decision for me than my husband. Dh was quite comfortable using his brother all along & although he still grieved the loss of his biological children, knowing he could use his brother made things easier for him. I found a dr willing to try a different protocol with me & I am now 22 weeks pregnant.

Our close family knows the full story & if it leaks out to others we are really not concerned. This is our life, we fully intend on being open & honest to our children from a young age. Even though text book may say my DH isn't the biological father, it takes much more than a sperm to give a 'father' label. Will be forever grateful to my brother in law, his wife & children for being fully supportive.

I know our story might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is such a personal journey & in time every one does what they feel is best for there family. Sending you all loads & loads of baby dust!
    Last edited by Smik; 15-09-2014 at 09:23.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smik For This Useful Post:

bbhope  (05-07-2016),JenniwithanI  (18-09-2014),MGC Bertie  (15-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Smik.... thank you for sharing your story. It's absolutely wonderful tha it all worked out for you, and congratulations for making it past the half-way mark. That's fabulous.

AFM.... unfortunately it's another BFN. The HPT this morning was completely clear, not even any trace of Pregnyl at the 5.5 day mark. Clinic added, "oh yes, your period must be already here, your levels are showing it." Well thanks, it's not, but it's close.

I really don't know why I'm thinking that this will ever work. We have done everything, and even combination donor eggs / donor sperm hasn't worked. I've never had any hint of implantation, and just can't see that anything will now work. I plan to just work through my final options - one FET with the final embie of my sister's, one IUI with anon DS that my FS has agreed to (just so I can move on knowing I've tried everything!) and then go to SA for DEs. Two goes at that and then I think we'll call it quits. It really feels like the end of the road.

Anyhow, consoling myself with CCC at the moment - charcoal chicken, chips and chocolate!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am soooooory to hear that MGCBertie! I have been thinking of you! Just couldn't type easily while on travel. Stay strong. It seems like you have the next plan lined up. Hope your appt with drM goes well and he is willing to do something different!
    @Jenniwithanl: I don't recall what I asked. Lol. I've some questions but will PM you. I am on business travel ATM.
    @Smik: Finally, someone who had gone to see drTurek and actually did the FNA mapping. I am very interested to know why the FS here disagree. Can you elaborate? Did the FS disagree with the method? Diagnosis or something else? I hesitate about the FNA mapping because testicles are fragile and multiple aspirations can damage them easily, especially if one has a smaller volume. On the other hand, if the tubules aren't healthy, it is extremely difficult to distinguish the ones that produce sperms and dont. Thus, FNA mapping seems like the best way to help narrow down the site. Skilled surgeon doesn't just blindly with mTESE.....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (17-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope, I think the main point our dr had was if any sperm was found with a micro they could use it immediately, that's not the case with FNA Mapping. What if the few sperm they found in FNA were the only sperm? Also, the risk with needle aspirations to so many sites (30 I think) is when they insert the needle they are removing tubules.When expecting so few sperm, what if the tubules they removed contained the most sperm? What if the tubules they removed happened to be the only ones to contain sperm?

The dr did have a point but after nearly 1 year of cancelled micros because of my low amh we closed our eyes & went overseas. The procedure was completed with a local anathestic & DH walked back to the hotel room after the procedure.

Although no sperm were found, I have no regrets about seeing Dr Turek. Finally we knew what was going on with DH.

If you have any more questions please ask me

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Smik: your FS has a good point. I have the same reservation as well. To me, the number of aspirations in FNA mapping is as invasive as the mTESE. While it isnt an open surgery, it is a lot being extracted through this procedure and is extremely important factor for those with abnormal volume. As for mTESE, the surgeon only cut when there is a promising site.

However, isnt that they also do ivf concurrent with the FNA mapping? I guess this is not possible with oversea patient?

The reason i think about the benefit of FNA mapping because DH tubules looked pretty much the same and hard to spot the ones that produce.
    Last edited by bbhope; 17-09-2014 at 20:19.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

Smik  (17-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope, The samples they took were stained in some solution & examined at a later date, so we had to wait 2 weeks for DHs results. It would be safe to say you can't do this FNA Mapping procedure along with an IVF cycle. The mapping was purely that, trying to source areas within the testicles that are producing sperm. If successful, a map would have been given to our FS to be used as a location guide for future TESA or Micro depending upon how many sperm sites were discovered.

Dr Turek may have similar procedures were you can work in with IVF cycle, but too be honest I never asked a great deal about it as we weren't interested in completing an IVF cycle overseas.

Its a big, risky, scary decision to make to travel overseas for fertility treatment, good luck with what ever you decide! Definetly one of the biggest decisions/risks we have had to make!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Smik: Due to DH condition, I know the only way to find sperms is via mTESE. We had done it and no regret. It is just very unfortunate of no live birth. FS might offer to do another mTESE but we feel like it is just false hope given the quality is bad and poor prognosis. It was the worst day of our life to lose the bub. The pain never goes away in my heart. Donor is our next step. It isnt easy to jump from using DH sperms to donor but we have come to term that it is the only way to have a family.

I asked questions because I am curious and interested in what dr turek does.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (18-09-2014),Smik  (18-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @MGC Bertie - I am so sorry to hear your news. My heart is breaking for you. Do they have any idea what is causing this? Must be so frustrating and painful for you both. I feel for you and sending you my love. Be good to yourself and whatever you do, don't give up. You are going to be a parent - someway, shape or form. I believe it.

I am starting to realise that whilst it feels like our situation has been going for a long time we no results yet, we are only really at the beginning....

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JenniwithanI For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (18-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Smik: i cant imagine doing an oversea ivf. (Ppl do for donor eggs!!) Our last two rounds of interstate treatment had stressed us out. It is a lot of time commitment and difficult. I have saved all annual leaves to more future interstate ivf. i do feel like we r missing out a lot of presence important things in life. No more vacation to enjoy time with DH which hurts the marriage, no more family visit because whenever I am not on business travel, i reserve time for ivf. I lose my friends because no more topic to talk about. Life is just not fair. I hope everyone who is about to go onto the mTESE all the best and dont have to endure the heartache we went through. FX that with a better quality sperms from donor, we have a take home bub and finish this ivf journey.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (18-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @MGCBertie: just read back your post. Anon donor? That's new. I thought u really like the idea of unknown. What change ur mind? PM me if u would rather not say it here.