MGC Bertie  (06-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Got the call - sort of expected - BFN. Nothing more really to say :-((

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Bertie, hugs. It isnt really anything i say would make you feel better. We deserved a drink or two. I havent touched alcohol since Sept and havent had any coffee since Dec.

After what happened to me. DH said that miscarriage it is more hurtful than expecting a BFN because we were so relieved to get the BFP and the happiness didnt last. I am grateful to have DH to comforting each other. I hope you have that too. It will be a while for us to get through the grieve.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (06-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    bbhope & Bertie I am so sorry, I wish I could say something to make it better. My heart sank when I read your posts. Thinking of you. x

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissJude For This Useful Post:

bbhope  (08-01-2014),MGC Bertie  (06-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @twosouls : thinking of you. Hope everything going alright for you. Xx

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Newby

Hi All,

Hope you don't mind me joining this thread but it seems that my DH and I have recently joined the very exclusive Azoo club. BBhope has very kindly been persisting with all my questions on private message, even with everything they have happening (and I am eternally grateful) and BB suggested this thread may help.

We have known he was Azoo for about 5 months but only just diagnosed with AZFC microdeletion. I had the initial tears for a few days but decided to pick myself up and get into learning more about it (although devastated).

DH is a different story, he seemed to be coping really well with it at first but over the last week has been really depressed and I think is seriously struggling with it (not like him at all). Any ideas on what I can do to ease it for him? I know I cant make it better but I want to help where I can.

So some questions:
    Anyone delt with AZFC personally?
    Anyone had a success with AZFC?
    Recommendations on how much we have in the bank to get this happening?
    Anyone had experience with mTESE? any estimation on the approximate healing time?
    If your DH has mTESE and they find sperm, does that mean that he will be too sore to be able to come with you if they have an embryo to transfer and you do it alone? (that might be a silly question)
    Any recommendations on appropriate books? I have read all the IVF books cover to cover but none seem to be specific on these issues

So sorry to ask so many questions. Very new to this and don't really know which way is up at the moment.

But will remain an optimist....

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH had TESE once (nothing there, so we had to use donor), and he was perfectly fine straight after and didn't have any soreness at all really. But every guy is different. They would definitely be able to make it to an emby transfer though! Having said that, I did all but two of my six transfers by myself as DH couldn't be there due to work or whatever, and it really isn't a big deal. They're usually over pretty quickly and very "boring and unemotional", lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Newby... rather sorry that you're having to join our thread!! My DH has non-obstructive azoospermia, so I can't really advise about AZFC.

However, he did have the mTESE procedure. There are a number of sperm procedures - the main three are 1) fine needle aspiration, 2) biopsy, and 3) the mTESE (micro-TESE). The mTESE procedure is a big operation - my DH was under for a couple of hours. It involves completely cutting everything open, searching for sperm in every tubule, and then sewing back together. There was a good amount of blood and loads of swelling (used ice packs for a couple of days). Your DH cannot drive or go to work for at least three days. The first 24hrs wasn't too bad as he was full of drugs, but the next two days he was in lots of pain and ate lots of painkillers. He was tender for another good week, but to be honest it was really a full 2 weeks before he was anywhere near normal. My DH has a desk job, but he said if you do manual labour etc you wouldn't be able to work for at least a week. My DH did come to the transfer with me on day 3, but he definitely couldn't drive at that point, so my Mum took us both, so DH could be in the room with me, while Mum waited in the waiting room. It took 3 weeks before my DH was even thinking of DTD!! Lol.

No books I've ever come across. The best information is on these threads. All the ladies have been wonderful and helpful. Other than that, feel free to ask away. We've all been there, done that :-))

littlesunflowers is offline It's not about the seeds - it's how you grow the flowers
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Shelson

We have no microdeletions so I can't help you there; we have sperm maturational arrest with no known cause and have used a donor. What I can tell you is that for my DH, TESA and mTESE took about equal time to recover from, and he was off work for 5 days. Sitting on an icepack was a very important part of that. He was easily well enough for embryo transfer - all he had to do was sit in the room!

Some general finance advice: If you have private health insurance, check with them to see if your DH is covered for pregnancy and birth related services - it's what covered the hospital fees for our mTESE, but we weren't told right away that we needed it, because it's rare for men to use it. Your hospital fees can be covered by your private health, minus any excess and part of your IVF cost will be covered by Medicare, same with anaesthetic costs. So the best thing to do is to get the item numbers and rough costs from your doctor's office (and anaesthetist if you can) and phone Medicare and your private health fund to find out how much you'll get back. Also, make sure you're registered for the Medicare safety net each year.

I'm sorry to hear your DH is struggling. Maybe you can just make sure he knows that you don't think it's his fault, it's just the way it is, and that no matter what you want to be on this journey with him. It might just take him time to come to terms with, though.

Hope that helps. I'm afraid you're in for a bit of a rollercoaster ride, but that means it can have highs as well as lows, and the support of these forums has made it much easier for me so hopefully for you too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Shelson : AZFc microdeletion causes non-obstructive azoospermia. It is a genetic cause. I am putting this out here so other people can have a read in the future. As I mentioned, the success rate of finding sperms depends on which arm of the gene has the deletion. From what i read on one of the research papers, it says "All men with AZFa, AZFb, AZFb+c and Yq deletions were azoospermic and no sperm were found with TESE or biopsy. Of men with isolated AZFc deletion, sperm were found in 75% (9/12) by TESE and 45% (9/20) on biopsy (56% overall); 62% (26/42) were azoospermic and 38% (16/42) severely oligozoospermic." However, be careful here, it depends on the person has mosaic or non-mosaic genetic problem. So I guess when it says "isolated", meaning non-mosaic. Since my DH doesn't have a genetic problem but other cause, I haven't focused on this topic that much. I'll go with what Dr. G opinion is. He did a needle biospy first on DH. Since no sperm was found, Dr opened him up.

Everyone is different but Bertie is right. It takes a good two weeks for my hubby to feel normal again. He has good pain tolerance. No painkiller or icepack. He just laid on the bed or sofa for a good week at the hotel to maximize its healing time. When we flew back a week later, there wasn't any pain but he certainly didn't sit comfortably on the flight. We were lucky that it was christmas break afterward. It was swollen for a good 3 weeks. He came to the ET with me (5 days after the surgery) but he had to walk funny and incredible slow. It wasn't because of the pain but to minimize friction which might open up the wound. DH opted to wait at the waiting room. He said that it is a delicate process and he didn't want to give extra pressure. I kinda agree...now, i can't take my mind off about that beautiful hatching blast embryo that i had seen on the screen. (sorry ladies....i am grieving again.)

The FS in Perth gave us a few booklets to take home. I read them all and there aren't really much help in our case. Bubhub and the ladies on here have been a great support for me.

As for the cost, somebody probably has a better estimate than me. Private insurance is a must if you want to have hospital cover which isn't covered by the medicare. If I read off the cost sheet that they give me (with medicare rebate), ~$3600 IVF+ICSI, medication ~$280, EPU and ET fee without priv insurace ~$2000, mTESE $1400 (no idea how much you will get back from medicare), hospital fee for mTESE without priv insurance ~$1400. Embryo/egg/sperm freezing ~$350. Consultation, GP runs for more BTs, any prepartion will cost you few hundred dollars more. This is IF ALL go well. Medicare helps a lot! We took out a huge chunck of our house saving for this without the help of medicare because we were in the limbo land for PR for a long time (still little progress on this so far). Since thing didn't go well, we don't have the money for the FET until we entitle the medicare. It is an expensive journey and hard to budget. It is not the money but the emotional roller coaster as the hardest part of the journey.
    Last edited by bbhope; 17-01-2014 at 00:24.