Closed Thread
Page 29 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    BBhope.... I'm really not sure at all about the second SA being tested differently than the first. Tell your DH not to worry too much about the semen looking different from now to before, as I've read that things can influence the colour and consistency (e.g. sickness, vitamins etc), and that how the semen looks, isn't an indication of what sperm is in it.

AFM.... Our 4 little embies are still alive and kicking at day 3. Two are perfectly on track at 8 cells, one is OK at 6 cells, and one is being slow at 5 cells. All 4 were graded A, meaning that there's little fragmentation, so that's good news. We've had a couple get to day 3 before, but it's getting past to day 5 that is the problem, but the scientist said that seems to be many embryos problems. Anyhow, it's looking really good, so transfer is set for Monday morning. I think it will be a long 2 day wait til then :-))

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Bertie, glad to hear that the embies are growing well. :-)

I read on the clinipath website. It explains that the SA for azoo will be treated by spinning down with the centrifigure device and then examining the formed pellets. The DNA fragmentation test uses a flourescent light blah blah blah. It seems different so i was concerned. I called the nurse this morning. I guess i was just very worried that they are not looking for sperms. I explained and the nurse just told me not to ahead of myself. Now, i feel a bit silly for over reacted about the whole thing. Well, i cant help it.

We havent talked about the options because DH wants to know the test results first.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bbhope.... Yes, I've found that the nurses and scientists have always been very helpful to explain things over the phone. In the early days, I was always very hesitant to phone them, as I thought I would be annoying them, but they've always been lovely. Yes, my DH is always thinking I'm over-researching everything. I sort of want to have an idea of all possibilities, but he mostly just wants to know one or two steps at a time :-))

AFM... Yes, I had my transfer this morning. I think the FS was hoping for a bit of a better result for Day 5 - he said they hadn't progressed that much, and though one of the 8 cells has become an "early blast", it didn't look like that any of the others would make it to freezing. Bit disappointing, as I was hoping the other 8 cell one would be good. But at least I had one to transfer. I then asked him, what exactly were the others at today, but he didn't seem to know exactly, and just seemed to want to get on with this one. Where are those scientists when you want one - they know all the numbers!! So I re-phrased, and asked "did they other ones stop growing?", to which he said, "no, they all moved on, but not greatly." I know none of them will be any good, but I am just curious to know that they didn't stop at Day 3, as it's happened in the past. Then as I've got my legs in the air, the scientist appears - not really the right time to be having a discussion!! Hehe. Afterwards, she said she will call tomorrow, to say if there was any to freeze, so I've written myself a post-it to ask her then.

Anyhow, I've had three transfers in total now from 5 cycles, and I thought I'd share the differences with you:
    - 1st - told to have an empty bladder, just like a pap smear, over and done and out
    - 2nd - told to have an empty bladder, the internal instrument thing hurt massively, so much that I almost fainted on the bed, I was in absolute agony and told the FS so, but he didn't seem worried, once it was out of me, the pain straight away went, I'm sure he had it in wrong, or at the least had pinched some bit of skin
    - 3rd (today) - same FS as 2nd transfer, but told to have a full bladder, just like a pap smear, no pain, but it took two goes, he gives the syringe thing (with the embryo) back to the scientist and she goes back to her room, he gets out the ultrasound, and then gets me, yes me, to hold the ultrasound probe on my tummy, scientist does the checking of name and DOB again, and comes back again. No problem, in it goes, and FS says, "can you see that blob, that's where it is?" Lol. All good. Well the 2WW has begun :-))

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bertie, I was advised by another patient of the same clinic on BH to call the nurse if I have questions. You know, this is our last chance to confirm the azoo diagnosis. DH and I are still hoping they will find something, although chance is slim given that the Dr. was so confident about the first SA. I think the conclusion is purely based on the fact about the undescended testes.

At the moment, I feel like talking about this to my parents, mainly because they are assuming we are TTC and have been giving a bunch of advices about pregnancy and baby. I can't tell them to shut up. I discussed this with DH but he thinks that nothing can change the outcome so no point of telling the parents.

It seems like you had a great run today. Good luck. Hope the embie sticks. Baby dust!!

ps: What is the waiting period for getting a donor in the East coast?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone, sorry for the radio silence! DH and I have been struggling ever since our failed mTESE and ICSI in April... but we're slowly healing and getting ourselves back on track.

Just wanted to say a big and to MGC Bertie for being PUPO!!! That's great news, hoping it's great news for you this time

BBhope - I'm sorry you've been having a tough time, the NOA diagnosis must be one of the worst in infertility because so little is still known about male infertility and you really have to do your homework! Sounds like the others have given you some great advice, hope you get some answers and good news soon. As for talking to parents, we too went through initial stages of me wanting to talk and DH wanting to hide it, I think it's partly a male pride thing and a sense men get of 'failing'. Try to be supportive and just remind him that you didn't chose to live your life with him for his sperm alone! My DH came around to talking eventually and now all our close family and many of our friends know. He just needed some time.

As for the donor wait on the East coast, QLD has the most relaxed laws with each donor being able to create 10 families, whereas in NSW it's only 5 families so the choice is a lot more limited. At QFG and Monash in QLD there is no wait list at all, at Fertility First in Sydney there is also no wait list as they have an exclusive agreement with Xytex, one of the world's largest sperm banks. At IVF Australia, there is currently about a 4-month wait. There's also a clinic in Canberra that has no wait either, according to a friend of mine they have the best choice out of all of them. I can find out the name of the clinic if you like?

AFM - well we've come a long way with the topic of donor sperm, and are now exploring using DH's brother as a known donor! It all came out when DH went to a counselling session on his own and basically concluded that he was really struggling with the idea of anon donor and would prefer to explore the option of either his Dad or his brother. I balked at the Dad option, just was really uncomfortable with it on pretty much every level, but after some more counselling and talking it through I can totally understand DH's feelings and I am happy with the BIL option. My BIL and his wife currently have one baby and they are very happy and willing to help us, they live in QLD and have currently done a phone consult with the counsellor and are skyping Dr P at IVFA today to get the initial blood tests etc started. They go away to Europe for 5 weeks tomorrow, so we wouldn't be able to get the process going properly until September. Then the sperm has to be quarantined for 3 months (unfortunately no waiver applies like it does with donor eggs), so maybe all being well cycling in December/January?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ginios For This Useful Post:

bbhope  (26-07-2013),MGC Bertie  (26-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bbhope... I had to tell my parents when we did the very first cycle, as I was freaked out that something would happen while at EPU and I didn't want my parents, well particularly my Mum, to find out that way. DH and I went over to their house and told them, and they were so supportive, and it was so good not having to deal with anymore with TTC advice. The next thing my Mum said was, "oh how come?" and she was SO relieved to realise that it was because of DH's sperm and not something with me! Funny!

I then said to DH about going to see his parents, but he didn't want to do it like that. He told them, but I know he's hardly told them anything, whereas my parents, sister and brother know just about everything. In fact, it's been 18 months of IVF now, and to this day, DH's parents have never spoken face-to-face to me about it. I've mentioned it once or twice to them on the phone. DH is more of the opinion that they don't need to know everything - they just need to know when we're starting a new cycle and at the end if it's a BFN or BFP. Interestingly, one of DH's cousins asked me outright about using IVF, so I told her and her Mum (who is DH's Mum's sister). I've now spoken to them more times about it, and I kind of think they're relaying the information back to DH's Mum. But that's the way DH wants it, so I don't want to push him.

Waiting periods for donor sperm vary from place to place. I'm in Sydney, so at IVFA the waiting period was 4 months. I did also have a consultation at Fertility First (Hurstville) and they don't have a waiting period at all. Both list have mostly American donor on them, and at the time I looked at both lists, there were about 20-25 donors to chose from. I went with IVFA because I wanted Dr Golovsky to do DH's mTESE procedure.

AFM.... the scientist rang this morning to say that none of the other embies were good enough to freeze :-(( I would have love to have had one, but never mind, at least we got to transfer stage this time. Interestingly after day 3, the 6 cell embie never progressed, while the 5 cell one caught up and did became a morula. Apparently the other 8 cell also progressed a bit, but wasn't looking good. But it's good to know that I can get embryos to grow past day 3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginios View Post
    As for the donor wait on the East coast, QLD has the most relaxed laws with each donor being able to create 10 families, whereas in NSW it's only 5 families so the choice is a lot more limited. At QFG and Monash in QLD there is no wait list at all, at Fertility First in Sydney there is also no wait list as they have an exclusive agreement with Xytex, one of the world's largest sperm banks. At IVF Australia, there is currently about a 4-month wait. There's also a clinic in Canberra that has no wait either, according to a friend of mine they have the best choice out of all of them. I can find out the name of the clinic if you like?
    Let's say i do a cycle here in the west and have them collect my eggs. Can I transfer them to the east coast later if I decide to get on the wait list there? The clinic told us that the wait is 1--2 yrs long here. Well, I am thinking what if....... I really hope that we don't have to come down to this and they actually find something with TESE.

I just had a discussion with DH. I already know the answer to this one before even starting the discussion. He doesn't want to use the donor. He can't bear to raise a child that's not his. I can totally understand. He has never shown any affection with friends babies. Sigh.....i also opposed the idea to begin with but after many months of thinking and trying (DH condition was first diagnosed early this year), and reading from you all ladies, I have come to term that it is either be a mother or regret for the rest of my life of being childless. This puts an incredible pressure on both of us. DH might be ready for TESE but now, i am not because I fear for the worst.

littlesunflowers is offline It's not about the seeds - it's how you grow the flowers
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    DH might be ready for TESE but now, i am not because I fear for the worst.
    It is just so hard sometimes. I really hope that you are one of the lucky couples that finds some sperm in a TESA.

I can't help with the eggs question - my FS advised against freezing my eggs, because it's not as successful as freezing embryos and we already knew we would use a donor in another cycle after our TESA if that was the way it happened. I know others have had eggs frozen however, and that gives you longer to make a decision. There's an ongoing storage fee for anything you freeze, something else to find out about - ours is about $500 a year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bbhope.... I don't really know about freezing eggs. That was never offered to me, but I agree with Littlesunflowers, that freeze/thaw rates are apparently not as good as with embryos.

Yes, you have to exhaust all options before going to donor sperm, so obviously your DH isn't up to this stage yet. Get lots of advice, and I've said it before, you have to do the mTESE (micro-dissection), as some people do have success with that, and you might be one of the lucky ones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all. I really need the hugs.

I am just planning ahead and see if they can start me on an ivf cycle at the end of august. I am a bit mad about DH colleague who just bailed on a week business trip in early sept. Since DH is the head of the project, he has to go. If the timing isnt right, we have to wait another month (oct). it is so hard to shuffle with business trip (i have one in sept but i put this as priority and canceled it).

How long does it take to recover from TESE surgery?

The FS did offer to freeze the eggs. Hmm...it sounded like it woukd be better off not to retrieve the eggs if no sperm is found. I will ask the FS about this.

How is everyone doing?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using The Bub Hub mobile app