Closed Thread
Page 28 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bbhope.... the main BTs that DH had were: Inhibin B, Androstenedione, TSH, FSH, LH, Oestradiol, Testosterone, SHBG, Free Androgen Index and micro-deletion of the Y chromosone. If you do go to Dr G then it would be very useful to have those results before you see him. I don't know if he does phone consults, but that would also be worth investigating, but again you would need all the BTsdone at your end first of all. Dr G uses some formula with some of those results to come up with his percentage rating, however with my DH he never gave us a percentage, but said words like "excellent chance" and "very good chance". However here are a few stats:
    - sperm found in up to 70% of men who have FSH levels greater than three times normal (hence why Dr G tests FSH, when most FS only think of it as a female test). Other studies say that FSH has no correlation.
    - sperm is found in app. 50% of men, who have not had sperm found by other means (e.g. aspirations and biopsies). This alone, is a major reason for trying mTESE.
    - sperm is found in almost 80% of men who have had some sperm found by other means. My DH technically landed in the successful 80%, but unfortunately just finding 1 sperm, didn't really amount to much :-((
    - percentage chance of finding sperm in men with Sertoli cell-only is only about 20-25%.
    All of those stats are pretty easy to find on the internet, but it's things like that that Dr G uses to give his "percentage chance" of finding sperm. Hope that's of use?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MGC Bertie For This Useful Post:

bbhope  (17-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi girls, just discovered this thread. Just wanted to offer some more hope as I know when we 1st received our diagnosis we were given no hope. DH has N-O Azoo, he also has one undescended teste & the teste that is down is low volume. So it looked pretty grim for us. We did a cycle in 2011, Dr Lok performed 15 needle aspirations that resulted in no sperm, then did surgical biopsy. He found enough sperm to fertilise my 12 eggs, which resulted in 3 lovely embryos. We had one miscarriage, one failed cycle & used our last frozen embryo in June last year. As a result of that we have a lovely little 5 month old sleeping in his basinette as I type. I just wanted to offer encouragement that it can happen & either way, be it through donor or DH's sperm, each azoo bub is a miracle. It's a tough journey, but hang in there xx

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ertgirl For This Useful Post:

bbhope  (17-07-2013),MGC Bertie  (17-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Btw, the info on this thread is awesome; it's a great resource. When we were first diagnosed there was no thread like this on BH. If anyone has any questions about our experience, feel free to ask.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks! I'll ask Dr. J for all the tests that aren't on the current list on our next visit. FSH, testoterone, AZF, karyotype and CF are on the list at the moment. Yes, I'll find out about the phone consultation with Dr. G.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (18-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bbhope.... here's another little tip - whenever you go for BTs, I always make sure that both my GP and my FS are written on the form. That way, you will find it easier to get copies of the results. I find that my clinic and FS is happy to give me results verbally, but trying to get a paper copy out of them is like drawing blood from a stone! I haven't yet been asked to pay for copies of results, though I have heard others have had to. So instead I go down to my GP and she prints off all the results, no problem.

AFM.... I have 4 embies that fertilised overnight!!! It's rather an incredible number for me, and I'm not sure about getting excited or not. Again, that's more fertilised this time than in the other four cycles put together! Trying to stay a little calm. The scientist said that they will still keep the fifth egg for the time being, just in case they missed seeing the window of fertilisation. As I'm having a 5 day transfer, they won't look again at them until Saturday morning to see how they're doing, which I really don't mind as it will give me some sanity time :-))

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MGC Bertie For This Useful Post:

bbhope  (19-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bertie Thats funny about the donor embroys cause when we went for our counselling sessions the lady asked if donor embroys was something we had considered. She said they run like an adoption and you fill out a profile about yourself and a donating couple can pick you out. She mentioned that we might get picked quickley because of our infertility and our age. I just assumed it must of been something they do there.

We made an appoinment with Dr Fay. Its not till august so we will more than likely be half way through a FET cycle with Dr P when we see her. The nurses said thats fine then at least if the FET does'nt work we will have a cycle plan ready to go.

BBHope when we saw Dr Persson the first time he had a feel around on DH and said his tube was there so he ruled that out staright away. He ran a few blood tests the same sort as Bertie has said. Went back a few weeks later for the results and from those he said micro Tese was best option. I guess if they are going to find any sperm it is going to be with that surgery. I think we only waited a couple of weeks to get into Dr Golovsky and on the first appoinment we were booked in for the surgery. Time line wise we had our first IVF appoinment in the middle of october and had surgery middle of february. You can give them a call and explain the situation and im sure they can organise a phone consult.

Ertgirl you are one lucky lady!!! I can only dream about having my DH's baby. Do you think you will go back and try for another one?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to two souls For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (19-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Twosouls... that's very interesting about what the IVFA counsellor said to you about donor embryos. We'll see how we go, but I'll file that piece of information away in case I need to follow that up later. Thanks. Good luck with the next FET. That's the last one, isn't it? Maybe it's THE one :-))

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a quick question. Why is DNA fragmentation test needed? If one has azoo, there is no sperm to test for this, isnt it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bbhope... Yes, men with Azoospermia wouldn't have DNA fragmentation tested, unless of course, they might just have a few sperm, but still be counted as Azoospermia. Those with a high level of DNA fragmentation result in extremely poor pregnancy rates (1% or less), but with IVF/ISCI procedures the percentage rates can be almost similar as the population with normal rates of DNA fragmentation. Viewpoints and research articles differ greatly, so much still needs to be learned about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Bertie.

I am actually not very impressed about the clinic so far. Two mistakes in one roll. We went in for providing sample and BTs. The lab person spotted a mistake on the referral. Apparently the microdeletion should have been ordered at the same time with kyrotype test. It was left out by the doctor by mistake. Good that we were still in the pathology lab. The lab person just poked DH the 2nd time.

They took away the SA referral after our first appointment at the clinic for an unknown reason. When we came in today, they were asking for it. No big deal. The nurse wrote a new one and wanted us to pay before the sample was collected. It costed 150. A bit surprised because the last SA was merely $50. Ok, i thought maybe they are looking harder second time so costs more. When i looked at the receipt, it says DNA fragmentation test (not claimable). I was rather confused thus asking the above question. We just wanted to know if there is any sperm at all!

I am not sure who can answer this question. If they prepare the sample for DNA fragmentation test the same way as to look for sperm, i am ok with the additional test (if they find sperm). If they are not prepared the same way, i think it is best to redo the test. I read somewhere on the web that 2nd SA usually prepared differently than the first SA. Sigh. I might have to call again yo ask them this. DH was quite sad when he walked out today because he didnt have a good feeling about his sample this time either (it just looks different than he used to have many years ago).

Sent from my GT-P7510 using The Bub Hub mobile app