Closed Thread
Page 12 of 109 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the feed back ladies, it really does help.

Two Souls when they cancelled my epu I got a refund on my admission costs and didn't pay for the procedure. For DH's costs we got about half back from medicare and our health fund. From memory we were out of pocket around $2,500.

We went on the donor wait list at the end of Nov. I was told she got confused re our status on the list as the majority of people on the list are single women or lesbian couples and the wait list is about 6 months for them as many of the donors veto them. I recommend you call. I left 4 messages before they returned the call.

DH and I were trying to keep an open mind on selection criteria until we see the list. We did agree that post grad education is important, and My DH is extremely tall too, so many people comment on it so that will be important too. As far as other physical characteristics go I'm not so sure. I'm quite fair and DH it Mediterranean decent. If we went for a donor that is darker any of those traits would be obviously from the donor... So I guess we'll wait and see.

As for the cost of the counseling session it is $400 for the 2 compulsory sessions and there is no rebait. Counseling is free when you are mid cycle but this one you have to pay for. I think we just really didn't gel with the counselor. She got fixated on things that I thought were obvious such as why we didn't go with os adoption first and things that do concern me such as who do we tell she brushed over with 'there is lots of reading material'. DH and I had a chat yesterday and we agreed to push the session out a few weeks. DH is studying at the moment and I could see signs that the stress was getting to him, when he is normally the calm one.

I really wish IVFA would give us access to the list now so we can think about it, and perhaps even use the counseling session to discuss it. I think I'll make another call.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That is very strange Sweet. We were not charged at all for the counselling. I think there's more than one counsellor - ask if you can see somene else.

I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sweet.... I tried calling Kirsty, the donor co-ordinator today, but got the "she's out to lunch" routine. Left a message, but no reply. Now I read your recommendation for leaving multiple messages, so will do that in the next couple of days. My EPU is tomorrow, as is DH's micro-dissection, so will know by the afternoon if I need to ring her or not - hopefully not :-)))

As far as I know, I haven't been charged for the counselling session. But we did a different route - had the first counselling session at Fertility First, and then did the second session over the phone at IVFA. They covered the same thing, and I told the IVFA counsellor that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our IVFA counsellor was just satisfied we had already discussed all the issues ourselves, because we'd already resigned ourselves to using donor previously & then been given fresh hope by a referral to Dr G ... so even though we hadn't had counselling, she felt we'd thought of & discussed what we needed to.

Good luck tomorrow MGC! To both of you! You'll be in my thoughts.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to peoniesarepretty For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (20-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Azoospermia

Bertie wishing you all the luck in the world for tomorrow I will be thinking of you all day and have my fingers and toes crossed for you xxxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    MGC Good Luck today.

They did send me a checklist yesterday of discussion points, which might make it easier, I finally got through to my favourite nurse too who reassured me when we talked through the process and agreed that the 'requirement' to meet with Prof again was unnecessary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your good wishes.

We had mixed results today. My EPU resulted in 6 eggs being picked up, 3 mature ones with the other 3 being way too young to catch up. Since I was hoping for 2-3 mature ones, I'm feeling as happy as can be about this.

As for DH, Dr Golovsky worked hard and found 1 "good" swimmer ) He came out and seemed very disappointed by this, since he was sure of getting much more, since he liked DH's Inhibin B level (27) and had been very confident. Basically he found the same in the micro-dissection as what we've got in all previous ejaculate samples, so he couldn't at all explain why there wasn't more. He cut both testes open, but apart from that one there were just abnormal ones (big heads, no tails) and immotile ones (not moving). They collected everything in any case for the scientists to work their magic on. Also even though taking Arimedex improved various reproductive levels for DH, in the end it didn't produce more sperm or better sperm :-( I guess it was worth a shot.

This afternoon, 6 hours after the operations a scientist finally rang (I was starting to freak out that it was all pear shaped), but she explained that they managed to find a couple more sperm that were "twitching". We've heard this before in previous cycles, meaning that they are sort of alive, but not moving, until poked!! So they chose three (I'm presuming the goodish one and two twitchers) and injected them into my three eggs.

So no extra sperm to freeze - it's this or next cycle will be donor sperm. So now we just wait until tomorrow to find if any of my 3 precious eggs like partying with DH's sperm and fertilise by morning :-)) So far it's probably the best outcome we have with 40 year old eggs and a DH with 1 sperm :-)))

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Azoospermia

MCG

Hi ladies, I hope you don't mind but I have been reading along with your journeys, I posted much earlier in this thread as my DH has azoo too. However our journey had a different outcome. My DH is missing the vas tube (obstruction), so we were very fortunate that he produces sperm. I just wanted to share with MCG that our dr retrieved twitching sperm from my DH, we had 6 embryo's two fertilised and our first transfer resulted in our beautiful DS, now 13 months. We went back and had our frozen embryo transferred, which also achieved a BFP but unfortunately we miscarried at 9 weeks about 4 weeks ago. So twitching sperm can result in a miracle, you only need one. Best of luck...

Best of luck to all you ladies and remember.... We were given this journey because we are strong enough to get through it. X

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RTT For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (21-02-2013),OptimisticAussie  (09-03-2013),peoniesarepretty  (21-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    RTT.... thanks so much about the hope of "twitching" sperm. Will your DH do the procedure again? We haven't heard yet this morning if there's any eggs fertilised, so am trying to keep busy waiting for the phone call. I'm more anxious about this than any other time!

HOWEVER I did get an email just now from Kirsty saying that we're at the top of the donor sperm waiting list!! So glad we didn't end up needing it yesterday as I would have been mighty peeved!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    So sorry for your loss RTT. Hope you have more success if you go again.