Closed Thread
Page 11 of 109 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi guys sorry i have been off line yesterday have been looking after my patient!!

Yesterday was the worst. He was in a lot of pain hurt sit down, sit up, lay down everything! They gave him panadine forte so took all he was allowed for the day and that helped relieve it a bit. It seems to be more abdominal pain he says but the recovery paperwork they gave him said that would happen. Today he is a bit better still not getting around easily but is trying to move more. I hope tomorrow he will be even better. All I can say is make sure your DH has a lot of time off work and a nurse to look after him!

MGC- I have the paper work from the surgeries and for the TESE was $988.40 with I think $350 able to claim back. My EPU was $876.00 with $300 able to claim back. That should give you an idea of the cost involved. I thought the TESE would of been a lot more expensive than that I was expecting thousands.

They never told me the cost of storing the frozen eggs I guess ill wait till i get a bill in the mail.

Felicita- I see you have twins!! Did they out two embies back in or did they split? I would love to have twins as I am an indentical twin and my DH is fraternal boy and girl twin.

Ginios- Good luck with your renovation work! Are you on the donor list at IVFA? Im not sure about Queensland being a shorter wait but there would be something about it on one of the donor boards

I better go and check back on my patient, I never thought I would hear him say he is sick of watching TV!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to two souls For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (17-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Azoospermia

Two souls - so sorry Dr G had no luck with your DH. It's really awful to go through that & be unsuccessful.
    I would be very surprised if he only looked in one testicle. He went through every mm of both on my DH, looking for anything. But also Sertoli cell only.
    Hopefully he'll be feeling much better in a couple of days. xx

4. The Following User Says Thank You to peoniesarepretty For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (17-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    two souls - boy/girl twins, so 2 embies
    Even our best embies were never good enough for freezing, so for 3/8 cycles, including the successful one, we transferred 2x morula on day 5 (no blasties available ).

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Azoospermia

Just goes to show the grading of the embryos isn't the be-all & end-all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you mind if I join you?

My DH has Azo. We’re with IVFA and seem to have gone through similar situations.

DH had the TESE back in Nov with Dr G. We were given a 50:50 chance, but nothing was found (they only operated on one testicle so it is not unusual). I was pretty gutted at the results. On the day I was ready to go with the EPU, I had discussed with my DR that I would not go through with it unless DH got a positive result to reduce costs. On the day I had a different DR who was pressuring me to go through with it I was quite angry about that afterwards as I was in a very venerable position.

It was a week later when DH and I discussed the next step. We had discussed using donor sperm previously and DH was very clear that he wanted to go with a anon donor. So we signed up to the donor wait list.

I tried call a few times last week to check how much longer we had to go on the list. Well they finally got back to me today. She started telling me I had awhile to wait yet and then half way through realises that she has misread my file and we are actually on the top of the list (wtf). If any of you are on the wait list, I recommend you call them regularly as who knows when she would have got around to letting me know.

So I’ve booked us in for our second compulsory counselling session next week. After that they will send us our options from the list. I’m really not looking forward to the counselling session. DH hates it and I have to admit I get annoyed at paying $400 for her to read a checklist and ask us silly questions on our feelings. I understand why it is necessary I’ve asked if we can have a copy of the checklist so DH and I can discuss the items that they think we should discuss in a more relaxed environment but they said no. I should clarify that I’m not against counselling, I’ve been through it before and found it very useful, but I just found that she focussed on items that really didn’t matter to us.

Can any of you share experiences on what you looked for in a donor? I've just realised the above is very negative. I think I'm having one of those day. I promise to be more positive next time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Sweet and welcome!!

Its sad there is more people who are in this same situation but at least there is support.

As you might of read in my previous posts we had a TESE last friday with no success. I had my EPU that same day as well. I was also told they would cancel it if there was no sperm found, but on the day nothing was mentioned and it went ahead. In a way im glad but we could of saved $900 if it wasn't done and i imagine it will cost to get them defrosted and used.

When did you go on the donor list? We went on in December and are waiting. I think MGC Bertie went on in October and she hasn't received a phone call yet. Hopefully we will get one soon. Maybe we should ring and check?

I didn't know they charged for counselling sessions? We have had one and from what i can remember they said they were free. But maybe im wrong?

I have no idea what we are looking for in a donor other than the same eye and hair color as my DH. We haven't really talked about it I guess we will just wait and see what we are offered? Is there many to choose from?

Anyone else out there no about IVFA billing? We had a cycle so drugs, blood tests and ultrasounds but no transfer. We got told today we have to pay the full $7700 does that sound right? I just wasn't sure as this is our first one. And how much do you get back from medicare?

I hope your next cylce brings a BFP

Thanks
    Reviews
    The whole donor sperm waiting list is quite infruriating, that I really don't want to talk about it, as it makes me mad.

However, only just a short message tonight, as I'm about to go get DH to do the trigger. Yes, EPU is first thing Wednesday morning. We're leaving home at 5.30am to get to the hospital, so I will sleep well later that day!!! However, there were 7 follicles last Friday, but only 6 today (and one of those is 29 so I think it will be a bust). If we can get 2 or 3 eggs out of 6 follicles, I'll be happy. Kind of both sperm and egg issues it seems. Anyhow, almost there :-)) And I've decided that if there's no sperm, I'm going to freeze any eggs, and spoke to Prof I this afternoon about that, so he's happy with my reasons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Hi All

Sweet - that's not negative, that's just a terrible story. I thought it was a requirement that if a clinic offers IVF (especially with donor) that counselling was to be offered for free. In any case $400 is a ridiculous amount to pay.

I am currently 15 wks pg following a donor IVF ICSI cycle. Our counselling was always free (with QFG in Queensland) and we went back a number of times to get our head around the whole thing - including after my positive, as I suddenly freaked out that I had chosen the 'wrong' donor. The counsellor never had a checklist, I'm sure she had a few key ares that we had to cover, but it was never expressly checked off. My DH really benefited from the sessions (as did I) and we have even had a few separately just to cover a number of issues.

Two Souls - that sounds like a lot to pay for a cancelled cycle. The biggest cost of the cycle is usually EPU (if done in a hospital), so to have it cancelled before that doesn't seem right at all. For a full cycle I was getting around $4500 back, but it depends on your safety net. There is a separate code for a cancelled cycle, so if they use that they will pay less. I would double check as I have never been charged for a full cycle when it is cancelled before EPU.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by two souls View Post
    As you might of read in my previous posts we had a TESE last friday with no success. I had my EPU that same day as well. I was also told they would cancel it if there was no sperm found, but on the day nothing was mentioned and it went ahead. In a way im glad but we could of saved $900 if it wasn't done and i imagine it will cost to get them defrosted and used.

I didn't know they charged for counselling sessions? We have had one and from what i can remember they said they were free. But maybe im wrong?

I have no idea what we are looking for in a donor other than the same eye and hair color as my DH. We haven't really talked about it I guess we will just wait and see what we are offered? Is there many to choose from?

Anyone else out there no about IVFA billing? We had a cycle so drugs, blood tests and ultrasounds but no transfer. We got told today we have to pay the full $7700 does that sound right? I just wasn't sure as this is our first one. And how much do you get back from medicare?
    1. Didn't cost us any extra to defrost and use the eggs as we did it at the same time as a new stim cycle. So we just paid for the new cycle and kept reminding them to defrost our frozen eggs to be ICSI'd at the same time as the fresh eggs.

2. IVFA counselling is free during a cycle and 1 appointment after. Other counselling sessions, eg. donor process, incur a fee. But after you've paid for a few the counsellor may put a note in your file that you never need pay for another session again. She did this to my file when admin said I needed to pay for a post-cycle counselling session after the 7th stim cycle.

3. Our mental approach was that DH was looking for someone to donate to him, and I had a right of veto. In practice it seemed to work the same way as what peonies did. DH insisted on eye colour (I didn't care). I wanted evidence of some skill in formal education and/or music, DH wanted sporting ability. The donor DH chose was the one I hoped he'd choose. It's a bit weird actually having to put conscious thought into what you want. Some things you might not know are important to you until you see the choices. I didn't know handwriting and spelling was so important to me. DH didn't know that the donor's ancestry was so important to him. One of the ways we knew it was the right choice is that neither of us feel like we're "settling" for anything. Selecting a donor is NOT a case of beggars can't be choosers.
    When we made our selection there were 4 choices. But I'm led to believe that now they've got US donors there are about 20. One of the recent girls should be able to answer that one.

4. You shouldn't have to pay for ICSI or for transfer as the clinic have not performed those services. Ask for an itemised bill. I don't think they separate the cost for laboratory services, I think it's just rolled into the standard fee, so I don't know if you can claim any of that back. They might (quite justifiably IMO) claim that that portion has gone towards the freezing of the eggs, since the handling and expertise for freezing is probably at least as much as for growing for 5 days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We only had one counselling session, which was required for access to the donor sperm. She didn't charge us for that. She rang & asked to see my DH on his own once, and didn't charge him for that either.

I was never offered access to counselling again, like when I had a miscarriage. I just thought it was for the donor process.

ETA: Just on the choices of donor thing, there were about 20 when we chose (almost a year ago), but VERY few were US. Only a couple actually, and none that were suitable for us. (My DH is extremely tall, so height was a filter that immediately culled our list down to about 7ish)
    Last edited by peoniesarepretty; 19-02-2013 at 08:45.