Closed Thread
Page 10 of 109 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Good luck today two souls!! Hope they find spermies & that you get several good eggs.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Azoospermia

Hey guys! Unfortunately they didn't find any spermies in my DH

But he is feeling quite good just a little uncomfortable. They said it was Streoli cell only from what they could tell. They only cut one open he said there was no point looking on the other one.
    But we will go on, have a few weeks to re group then think about the next step

They took my eggs out they got 8 so I was happy with that. They are on ice till we decide what to do. So maybe MGC they might take yours out as well if they don't find any in your DH even though I'm sure they will.

On they way home now to look after by brave patient x

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Azoospermia

Ginios

Dr P is lovely he came round and saw us after the surgery and said how sorry he was. Dr G was great as well. Your are in the best hands with those two.

My DH feels better now its over with and he has an answer. I'm sure yours will be the same. Any idea when the surgery will be? I hope it works out for you guys

Thanks
    Reviews
    two souls.

That's exactly how it was with us. We used our frozen eggs (only 7 of the 8 thawed properly) on our next fresh cycle with donor sperm so as not to waste the sperm.

The frozen eggs didn't perform as well as the fresh eggs did. We ended up neither transferring nor freezing any embies from the frozen eggs, and did the transfer from the fresh eggs instead. My Dr was a little upset because he wanted to be one of the first in Aus to get a frozen egg pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ginios.... yes, I cannot stress how important it is to try everything and certainly Dr G and his micro-dissection is the way to go, so then you know definitely. Hehe, I had a giggle when I read about how Dr P was telling you about Dr G doing the micro-dissection this Friday and you knew it was TwoSouls. I must admit I sometimes do sit in the various waiting rooms, and look around wondering if some of you on here are actually there, sitting there wondering the same thing!!

TwoSouls.... I am so sorry that Dr G couldn't find any useable sperm and that there was only Sertoli sperm there. I was so hoping that it was going to be good news for you. I rushed home and looked on here straight away. I'm so sorry, but at the same time, while it was the worst outcome you could have wanted, I sort of feel relieved for you that that part of your journey is over, and now you can focus on donor sperm next time. Congrats on getting 8 eggs - that's really fabulous. Prof Illingworth was really clear that he would cancel the cycle and not collect the eggs, and considering what Felicita says, I am/was quite happy about doing that. I'm now just a little wondering why Dr P would collect but Prof I wouldn't, considering they're both from the same clinic??? I think I'll probably talk to Prof I on the day about that, and see what he says.

No, I haven't rung up again about the donor sperm. I must admit I have been thinking about it all week, but I really was quite fine about doing it without the donor sperm now as back up. A part of me thinks that it is just one less stress for the day, so for the moment I will stick with that.

Yes, Dr G will only do the micro-dissection on the bigger one of DH's testes, as there's no point looking at the other. Mind you, again I've been thinking about that for the past week, as all DH's previous aspirations and needle biopsies have only been done on the bigger one, and none of them have shown anything. Any sperm we have got previously only came from ejaculations, and of course, that could have come from either testes, as you don't know. So maybe, that's another question I'm going to ask on the day - if Dr G can't find any sperm on the bigger, he better go to the smaller one, because maybe that's the one that is doing something, even though it's smaller.

AFM.... I went for a BT and scan today, and there's not much there = follicles 16, 14, 13, three at 8 and one at 5.5. That's all the nurse could find. She said they wait for them to get bigger. I mentioned that I only had 2 dosages of Gonal F left, but she said that's fine and we'll ring you. Eventually they rang at 5.15pm and left message to say to continue medicine and next BT and scan on Monday. That's great, but I don't have enough Gonal F!!! Tried to ring back, but they were closed. So now I must ring tomorrow morning, and then probably do a 3 hour round trip just to get Gonal F - not happy about that!!

Particularly not happy, since I had a break down this morning when I got to work, which I've never done before. Someone asked me to do something that I didn't want to do, and the next minute found myself hysterically hyperventilating and crying uncontrollably, which continued for a full 10 minutes. I pulled it together for 1 minute before breaking down crying again for another 10 minutes. Now everyone thinks I've lost the plot!!! All I could blame it on was being overworked and not coping with any more tasks!!! Total lie really!!! Cried at various times throughout the day, then all the drive home and for the first half hour at home. Feeling better now as I've eaten half a block of Toblerone!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Felicita

They told us that the frozen ones wont de frost to well but i guess its better then throwing them away....does your husband have azoo as well? They rang later this afternoon and said they could only freeze 6 as 2 of them weren't mature enough. But im happy with 6.

MGC
    We do feel relived it is over. At least now we have an answer and can start to move on. We know we tried everything we could. Its been heartbreaking but I think first finding out his sperm results was zero was the worst time. At least we know we are not alone. I wonder if there is any sort of support group for men in this position? It would be great to have more people like you to go through this journey together with.

Im going to hold off ringing about the donor list till March I think. We might need time to just digest and get over it. Im trying not to mention the donor too much to my DH cause I dont want him to feel pressured to do it. I want him to come to the decsion on his own when his ready.

Dr G rang this afternoon and he said he did go into both testes. He looked in one and it had all collapsed tubes in it so he had a look around and couldn't find anything. He expected the same in the other one and it turned out that way so he only had a quick look.

Before we went down to the hospital part we had to pay for both surgeries. I though 'well if they dont find any in him will i get my money back for my EPU?' But not collecting my eggs wasn't mentioned. I went in about 15 mins after him. Maybe you could mention to them you want them collected? Frozen surely is better than nothing

I hope your follies pick up. Im sure they will be ready by next monday. Mine best ones were only between 14 and 16 mm and i got some eggs out. I was quite happy with 8 and pleased that 6 could be frozen. I thought i would be lucky to get 2.

Those mood swings are horrible!! I had a few of them. One little thing would set me off. A few times I told my DH I didnt want to do it and was over the whole thing but then I realised he felt guilty for me having to go through this so I felt awful!! But those hormones send you crazy!! I feel so much better today. I started to just feel really flat at the end.

How is your DH feeling? Is he getting nervous? I have everything crossed for you guys surely Dr G has to have a win soon!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    TwoSouls.... I have actually seen a few men signed up on here rather than their wives. I've told that to my DH but he's happy for me to spend hours on here and just give him the short version (mind you, he's reading over my shoulder now, and says it's actually because I'm hogging the laptop all the time and he never gets a turn!!)

Hmmm. that's interesting what you say about payment. Prof I was very clear saying that the procedure would be that DH would go first, they would then come and tell me if they find sperm, and if so, then I would go in, and if not, I would get dressed and go home, just like that. He particularly mentioned by not doing EPU, that it would save a lot of money. I guess it's just a difference in each FS. But I will be asking, and am writing myself a little list right now.

Hehe, I just said to DH if he thinks that my breakdown today could be classed as a "mood swing". He laughed hugely!! Yep, quite a mood swing!! At least now I've got the weekend to stay away from my workmates, no-one can ask me to do any jobs or worse still, ask me "are you alright?" After the big breakdown this morning, about 10 people asked me that, and instead of lying "yes", I snapped at them "no" so people just tiptoed around me for the rest of the day. That is so not me, I'm normally quiet, caring, a good listener and always helpful - I'm the one who does jobs for people all the time (mostly without thanks). But today, I was not that person. The weekend break will be good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    two souls - yes, DH has Sertoli-only Syndrome. After a biopsy with Dr Kan we did microdissection with Dr Golovsky around August 2009. We don't know if he has had it all his life, or if it's related to him being unable to regulate his body temperature for the past 19 years, or something else. No idea, and no way to find out, but knowing wouldn't change the outcome anyway.

Like you, I was told that if they didn't find anything in DH then they wouldn't collect my eggs, but on the day they told me they'd be doing my eggs first. The fill-in Dr who did my EPU (Dr Quinn) came down after DH's surgery was complete to say that freezing eggs was an option (I'd previously been told it was not possible), and did I want to make use of that facility. It was free because it was experimental. Is that still the case?

If so, keep an eye on your statements, as one of the IVFA admin hassles is that they try to charge you for sperm or embryo storage instead of egg storage. And then after Renata doesn't call back any of the times you're told she will, they make you have a heart attack as the way they fixed their accounting error was to send a "Storage terminated" letter.

Also check that they don't charge you for ICSI or ET. I don't remember if we got a refund cheque, or if we carried the credit over to our next cycle.

MCG Bertie
    Not only do you have the hormones to deal with, but the added uncertainty of will there be eggs ... will there be sperm, makes it even more stressful. You only need to last a little bit longer to get through this particular bit of stress.

Maybe they can do the next scan on Sunday instead of Monday, and then it's not a trip just for the GonalF. Poor form by that FN not to give you a small extra pen yesterday.

My DH is sort-of on BH (2 posts, as MrFelicita).

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to felicita For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (16-02-2013),two souls  (17-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Two Souls - so sorry that Dr G was unable to find sperm on Friday , must be tough for you but you seem from your posts to be OK about it, like you say at least you know now and the waiting and wondering is over and you can begin to plan the next steps. I think it's a great idea to give your DH time, it's sometimes hard to do but absolutely worth him getting there in his own time and not feeling too pressured.

Thanks for asking about us, we're hoping to cycle in April this year (we have a house in QLD that we rent out and our tenants are moving out end of March, DH needs to be fighting fit to help me sort out the garden and fix a few things before the next tenants move in, so we're planning to cycle after that!). I am so keen to get going, it's been a long 4.5 years to get to this point and I'm getting impatient in the final stages!

Just quickly on the support for men topic, my DH actually volunteered for counselling a couple of years ago as try as he might to bury his head in the sand he found it was really getting him down. We went to see Russell Drinkwater at the North Shore clinic and he was brilliant - we talked through all the options and what having a family really meant and it gave us the ability to talk it all through and really understand how we both felt. I'd highly recommend it before going down the donor route as it made me and DH so much more at peace with that decision.

Funnily enough DH brought up the subject of donor back-up to me the other day, asking why we're not having it for this cycle when there's a high chance Dr G won't find anything. Although I used to want to push for it to maximise our chances of ending the cycle with embryos on board, I think due to the logistical difficulty and the wait period etc, plus not knowing if we'll be truly ready straight after hearing for sure DH has no swimmers, means we'll put it off for the time being like you. I've also heard that there's less of a wait if you go interstate to Queensland as they have different donor laws? Anyone else heard that?

MGC Bertie, poor you having a meltdown at work!! There's nothing worse than people asking if you're OK... completely understandable why you got upset though, you're under a lot of pressure and on a cocktail of hormones so it would only take the slightest thing I reckon! What a bugger about having to drive all that way to get more Gonal F, hope like felicita says you can combine it with your scan?

This debate about freezing eggs is interesting, Dr P told us that we could easily freeze the eggs if they didn't find sperm in DH! He said they can freeze masses of healthy, mature sperm (ie like sperm banks do), and they can freeze embryos and they are now pretty good at freezing eggs, the issue is that they can't freeze small quantities of immature sperm (ie what we would all get from our DHs as the sperm is taken from the testes so not fully 'grown'). Funny how each of them seems to think they can/can't do different things!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ginios For This Useful Post:

two souls  (17-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Felicita and Ginios.... yes, I rang them this morning and told them I wasn't pleased that the certain FN stuffed up and didn't give me the Gonal F, when I'd actually reminded her that I only had two doses left. I particularly mentioned her name, as I thought the criticism might get back to her and she might learn from it (!!!) They looked up where I live, and of courses there was nowhere else to get any from, so in the end I sent DH on the trip to pick it up - love him to bits! They need to do the BT and scan on Monday as hopefully it will be the last one and I can trigger Monday night. I also told them that I wasn't impressed that I had the BT + scan at 7am on Friday, and no-one rang until 5.15pm at night with the results, meaning I couldn't have gone to pick it up that day anyhow. On Monday, I'm going to ring them mid-afternoon, if they haven't rung me first!

Felicta.... I don't know about the cost of freezing eggs, as Prof I wasn't for this option. But thanks for the tips about billings - I will check them carefully this time.

Ginios... I can't remember the details about what you said your DH's MFI issues are? My DH (who has Azoospermia) has been on Arimidex (Anastrazole) for the past three months to try to increase sperm production in readiness for this week's micro-dissection. Dr Lok originally came up with that plan, but Dr G said that he thought that "he might be onto something with that". DH's testosterone levels have risen from 15 to 30 in the three months and FSH from 15 to 23. It will be interesting to see, come micro TESE, whether this has done anything with his sperm. Have you asked about that? Did your DH get all the tests done (including Inhibin B and micro-deletion of the Y chromosome)?