+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How much for an elective C-Section at a private hospital in 2010

I am booked in to have an elective C-Section in a few weeks and a friend has just told me I will be $10,000 out of pocket.

I have top tier coverage with Medibank and we have hit the safety net limit so are getting the maximum there. Can anyone that has had an elective c-section in 2010 tell me what I can expect to be out of pocket?

I am getting really stressed about it.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm a couple of weeks shy of my c section but my costs are as follows:

-$1800 preg man fee payable at 20 weeks
    - $225 initial appointment with OB
    - $70 OB appointments monthly until 28 weeks then fnightly to 36 weeks then weekly (starting at 9 weeks)
    - 2 private scans $400 approx
    - no extra costs at time of birth for my OB
    - possibly $200 for the anesthetist
    - possibly $200 for paed

Sorry on phone can't calculate but that's all my med costs, I guess it depends on ur excess, and ur ob fees and if ur hospital charges u for anything not to ur health fund xoxox

Thanks
    Reviews
    Um I don't think so?

I had mine a few months back with pretty low level health cover adn I only paid my excess $500, my obs fees(paid prior) pead (about $400) and my anetitist (normally $100 gap but he kindly bulk billed)

maybe she's talking about going through an ob who has huge out of pocket costs? Or possibly she's talking about how much it costs all up- mutual sent me a statment saying they shelled out a fair few grand, or maybe she has no clue what Shes on about!

Any concerns ring your obs office, I found the ladies very helpfully inbreaking down all my costs

Guest Guest
    She's probably talking about what it costs with no cover. Your ob wouldn't have booked in your c/s and the hospital would have let you know if you were being out of pocket that amount, they always check your phi.
    So it'll just be your excess, out of pocket for your anaesthetist (depends how much your phi pays towards it, mine was $250) and paed fees, possibly a 2nd ob fee who'll be assisting (mine was $230 out of pocket) thats it. Your ob fees are seperate but you've probably already paid these.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I received a statement from the hospital for the cs about a month post baby. It was $10k for the procedure, covered by my health fund 100%.
    It was separate to my preg mngt ob fees / scans etc.
    The only suprise bills were the anaesethetist ($1000) & the paediatrician ($150) for attending.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the prompt responses. You are helping to ease my mind, one thing still bothers me is that I am choosing the c-section, it is not the doctors choice - does that change the cost? I have read somewhere that medicare changed the rules for "maternal request" c-sections this year.

Thanks again for the responses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If ur going private - ur PHI covers ur costs - not Medicare

And again ur OB should be able to tell I if there are any changes with that too xox

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine was completly elective at my request, didn't effect one thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No, it makes no difference whether it is elective or emergency.

My costs were:
    $2000 preg management fee
    Around $600 out of pocket for 5 x scans
    $500 out of pocket for pedatrician (DS had to have numerous follow ups, but his cost for attending the CS was $300, of which I was out of pocket $100)
    My anesthetist didn't charge a gap, so that was fully covered by health insurance and Medicare.

All theatre fees were covered by PH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I highly doubt it'll cost $10,000.

I was with Westfund on their top cover and all up (including hospital, the CS, anesthesiologist, all appointments with my OB and pediatrician costs) it was around $2500 out of pocket. That was in March this year. The management fee was $1600 from memory and was due at 20 weeks. The rebate was $800 however I've heard the Medicare rebate has now gone down significantly.