+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Does anyone else have a fear of vomitting?

I've had this phobia since childhood, but found it's improved a bit through cognitive behavioural psychotherapy, which I would encourage people to try, and also having to deal with DS when he's sick! still get really scared when DH is sick though, as he's my rock so when he's sick I feel very vulnerable. I also won't stay on my own in the house with DS all night in case he's sick. somehow daylight makes everything more manageable, night time is more scary. probably because when my fear developed it was due to night time incidents of vomiting.

luckily I had no morning sickness with DS at all. But the spinal anesthetic during emergency c section made me sick, lowered my blood pressure, luckily i had nothing in my stomach to bring up!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I suffer too and it can really can rule your life sometimes I havent thrown up in 15 years and like you other ladies I do everything in my power not to vomit. I would rather feel sick all day than vomit. I got through my pregnancy and birth without doing it so now Im convinced my next pregnancy will be really awful....Im convinced I wont be lucky enough not to vomit the whole pregnancy again

My step dad was recently in a massive accident and they would only allow 2 people at a time to see him so we spent a lot of that day waiting in the ED. So on top of stressing about stepdad I was freaking out somebody was going to throw up. Later in the arvo a teenage girl came in with her parents and she was violently ill, she just couldnt stop throwing up Ive never heard or seen anything like it, I literally ran out of there shaking and sat outside until she was admitted I honestly felt so awful (my mum was with step dad that hour or so) and thats what I mean about life ruling, I just wanted to be normal like everybody else.

Another time was when my sister was in labour I was all good being there until she sucked on the gas and started throwing up everywhere. I went home My mum and her partner were there but still She wanted me there I wanted to be there and in the end I sat there feeling so guilty at home. I wanted more than anything to just get over myself but Its just not that easy.

DS is only 14 months but I can see myself fleeing the room when he's older, it really is instinct now. Feiry I know I would feel exactly the same if DS threw up like that, dont beat yourself up

I have always wondered if I will just get over it but I highly doubt it I thought it would get better as I got older but Its much worse now. I know I need to seek help but I guess its hard to face my fear. I just feel like such a useless person, I feel like I just need to get over myself. I honestly beat myself up everyday for walking out of the ED and the birthing suite and I will never forgive myself for doing that.

Anyway as awful as living with this phobia is Its nice not to feel like Im just a lunatic and that Its a real phobia, Its nice to know there are others out there, I dont feel so alone

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Last edited by Purple Lily; 18-11-2012 at 10:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Does anyone else have a fear of vomitting?

Dsd has it and she is 6. Last Christmas we had a lunch with friends and all of their kids. A friend showed up and was hung over from the night before, drank 3 huge glasses of water and said he was Goin to be sick. I said go out the front and have a spew (he is 6foot4 and wouldn't fit in the toilet)
    So what does he do? Goes out the back door and spews out the back where everyone is eating right next to dsd who just had this 6foot guy rushing towards her and spew everywhere :/
    Has been hard ever since, had to leave a dinner he was at because she was scared he was going to spew. A friends birthday party we were all sitting in the lounge in front of their couch he came threw the door way and stepped over the back of dp and I but towards dsd. She was sitting on her mum's lap and wet her pants

Until this thread I didn't even know what it was called. So learning new things glad to know there are more People like dsd and he isnt alone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ohmygosh yes! I'm only 9 wks and have been terribly sick the last week, and even though I know I'll feel better, I CAN'T do it!
    Maxolon didn't touch it, zofran just seems to take away my ability to vomit and not the nausea if that makes sense.
    I'm praying this won't be a long term thing. The worst is when I get suddenly woken at night. Then up it all comes !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl View Post
    I've had this phobia since childhood, but found it's improved a bit through cognitive behavioural psychotherapy, which I would encourage people to try, and also having to deal with DS when he's sick! still get really scared when DH is sick though, as he's my rock so when he's sick I feel very vulnerable. I also won't stay on my own in the house with DS all night in case he's sick. somehow daylight makes everything more manageable, night time is more scary. probably because when my fear developed it was due to night time incidents of vomiting.

luckily I had no morning sickness with DS at all. But the spinal anesthetic during emergency c section made me sick, lowered my blood pressure, luckily i had nothing in my stomach to bring up!

If you dont mind me asking.... What does Cognitive Behavioural psychotherapy entail when it comes to a vomit phobia? Its ok if you're not comfortable answering I just know I need to get help and not sure where to start.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by gizmoduckus View Post
    Or am I totally alone in this?

When I was pregnant with DS1, I was really sick and was vomitting throughout the whole pregnancy. Ever since then I have this fear and will do anything not to vomit.

Even right at this second I am trying to will myself not to even though I know that I will feel better afterwards.

Does anyone know how to overcome this?
    Omg! Me to a T!

I have a few methods. Iced water soaked facecloths on my neck and belly, sipping ice cold water and staying upright!

And I will do EVERYTHING even right through the puking to try and get it to stop.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm so proud of myself today. My DD was in her cousins jolly jumper and was spinning around and around after eating a chocolate. When she got out she was so wobbly then vomited all over the floor. I did not cringe once or even want to run away. I actually dealt with it and cleaned it all up. This may seem nothing to everyone else but for someone who fears vomit it's a massive achievement. Yay for me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

Nice to read that I am not alone in this phobia! I have suffered from this since I was 8 years old (I'm now 28) and not many people get it.

I'm more afraid of other people vomiting than vomiting myself..but having said that I can count on one hand the number of times I have thrown up since this phobia started.

I'm now a mum and its always at the back of my mind as to how I will cope if DS gets sick with some sort of vomiting bug. Much more so now he is eating solid foods as I have been able to handle milk spews so far without much fear. My husband works away for a few weeks at a time so I can imagine that if it happens then it will be when he is not home to help me!!

I know the few times hubby has been sick when we have been together I have not been able to hold it together. I feel like the worst wife as I can't help him or get him water or anything. I just need to get as far from him as I possibly can. Lovely husband that he is has learnt to get to the spare bathroom if he can make it rather than subjecting me to listening to him spew in the ensuite.

I dread that this is what I will want to do if DS gets sick..but I don't want to run away from my child when he is unwell. I can only imagine what kind of effect that will have on him later in life. Any one have any hints or stuff that has worked for them?

I did see a child psych about this phobia when I was about 13...they obviously didn't know about emetophobia as he told my parents I was just doing it get attention. So I really can't bring myself to see another professional at this point in time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH will NOT vomit... he even had food poisoning but still no vomit.
    I on the other hand (not that I like it) but I know I'll feel better afterwards so I might even make myself if I'm sick

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl View Post

Wow. I'm not alone. I'm afraid of night time too. My sister is so bad she stays up till 4am just to make sure she's not sick. Every. Night. Wow I'm just so amazed all the people.