+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I also had my first (and only so far) son by elective caesarean. I agonised for weeks over whether that was the right birth for my family, but am so very glad I made the decision I did. Our son had his umbilical cord wrapped tightly around his neck twice - something they couldn't pick up in ultrasounds or other prenatal care - so if I had gone into labour at all, the movement of contractions would have strangled him. I don't share that to frighten people - but I am just so relieved and blessed to have made the decision I did. As my OB said, someone must have been watching over us!

The experience was great. Having the spinal was nerve-wracking and uncomfortable, but at least I wasn't also dealing with contractions at the same time. The actual feeling of a caesar is unlike no other. I could feel sensations like cold and pulling, but absolutely no pain. Amazing. The moment of birth was calm and I felt all of the emotions I was worried I could only feel by having a natural birth. My son lay on my chest for most of remainder of the procedure (about half an hour), gazing at me. He was wrapped (not skin to skin) because the theatre was very cold as most are. Despite this, he breastfed for 17 months. I was so worried that not having skin to skin contact right away, being away from him while I was in recovery and not breastfeeding immediately would negative affect my ability to feed - but thankfully it didn't. (I did have problems getting feeding started - but that was due to a tongue tie, which is a whole other story!)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ricepudding For This Useful Post:

X'sMum  (10-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am so thankful for this thread. I am due for my 1st Elective c-section in September and I am starting to have nightmares about what might happen and I am getting anxious.

With my son I had an emergency c-section and didn't have time to think as from the time I was told to the time that my son was born was 20 minutes!

But reading this thread has really put me at ease. I am going to take all your experiences and try and make the c-section as much about me and my child as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimnus View Post
    I am so thankful for this thread. I am due for my 1st Elective c-section in September and I am starting to have nightmares about what might happen and I am getting anxious.

With my son I had an emergency c-section and didn't have time to think as from the time I was told to the time that my son was born was 20 minutes!

But reading this thread has really put me at ease. I am going to take all your experiences and try and make the c-section as much about me and my child as possible.
    Congratulations, I am constantly told the difference between an em. Csection and a schedules csection is huge.

The best advice I got was to ask for a break down of the standard procedure for your hospital, get familiar with it so you can be more comfortable.

My second was such a relaxing, blissful experience. I had only 4 or 5 staff in theater, once baby was out and cuddled up with me I was too blissed out to care what was happening.

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had 2 and prob be having a 3rd. And I live the fact I had them (had to with the 1st) I no it takes longer to recover but I'm glad I didn't go thro the pain of childbirth and that my vaggay didn't lose it's shape . And I loved being looked after for a change lol. The scar isn't that big, and I had a certain date ild meet my babies. Which helped organise flights for my dad and someone to look after my DS while DD came into our life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Congratulations, I am constantly told the difference between an em. Csection and a schedules csection is huge.

The best advice I got was to ask for a break down of the standard procedure for your hospital, get familiar with it so you can be more comfortable.

My second was such a relaxing, blissful experience. I had only 4 or 5 staff in theater, once baby was out and cuddled up with me I was too blissed out to care what was happening.
    I hope mine can be like that. I am just so worried that I will be so anxious about the whole process that I wont enjoy what is actually happening in front of me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subscribing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone

I've been reading BH for a while and have my pregnancy diary going on but this is the first post I've replied to. I've known for quite a while - even prior to pregnancy - that an elective ceasarean was the option I was leaning towards. I'm someone who likes to be calm, planned and in control and the wild variances of natural birth that aren't known until the time comes didn't sit well with me.

I spoke to my obstetrician at the first appointment to make sure she was aligned to my plans (giving me time to find another if she wasn't) and she is more than happy to do whatever I want (I love the private system!) Husband and family are also totally supportive (it's still reasonably early days at 15.5 weeks).

This positive thread has been very comforting. I do expect to get attitude from randoms and I don't care. The baby was conceived in a lab and stored in a freezer for a few months so it's a bit late to start worrying about things being all "natural"!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Averley For This Useful Post:

X'sMum  (10-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm booked in for 2 days time and look forward to adding to this thread as it has been so helpful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by melissa20588 View Post
    I'm booked in for 2 days time and look forward to adding to this thread as it has been so helpful.
    How did you go Melissa? Hope all went well.

I'm booked in in just over a week...eek! I too hope to add to this discussion.