+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't even know this was possible. I don't mind having to have a c section but i hate having the baby shown to me for 2 seconds and then taken away untill i am stiched up and after half an hour in recovery. It's horrible! I just want to hold and feed my baby imediately. It bothers me that i can't bond right away.
    I am going public so i'm really not sure i can ask for things to be done differently though I am assuming not as you know what public hospitals can be like..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by laurea View Post
    I didn't even know this was possible. I don't mind having to have a c section but i hate having the baby shown to me for 2 seconds and then taken away untill i am stiched up and after half an hour in recovery. It's horrible! I just want to hold and feed my baby imediately. It bothers me that i can't bond right away.
    I am going public so i'm really not sure i can ask for things to be done differently though I am assuming not as you know what public hospitals can be like..
    Youtube 'The natural caesarean: a woman-centred technique' (WARNING IT IS GRAPHIC) and make some bullet points on what you want and then make a birthplan for your csection, as long as it is safe and possible. they can and have to do what you ask.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Orris Apjoko For This Useful Post:

laurea  (17-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laurea View Post
    I went public and had wonderful experiences with both where the baby was with me from birth onwards.

Sit down and talk to the Ob when you book into hospital, if they say you can't, ask why and say you know it's standard in most Australian public hospital to keep bubs with mum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I has an emergency c-section and it was a good experience. The staff were kind and considerate and I can't fault them. Once dd was pulled out the paed sucked the meconium from her lungs, dh cut the cord and then she was brought right over and placed on my chest and she had a feed and a cuddle. She didn't leave me from then. I didn't specifically request this, it was just the way it was done. I was a public patient too. Next baby I'm pretty sure I will have an elective c section and I'm positive about it. I imagine an elective c section would be much calmer than the uncertainty leading up to an emergency csection too. I didn't feel out of control with my c-section- the way I did going through labour.

ETA: the public hospital where I had dd very much promoted skin to skin contact for both me and dh. They actively encouraged it. So many people on this site like to promote horror stories of medical intervention and health professionals. They have very extreme views and like to pronte conspiracy theories that are pretty far from what most women experience. Eg doctors just want to control you bla bla bla. Doctors just want you to have a healthy baby!
    Last edited by CakeyLoaf; 17-10-2011 at 09:39.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CakeyLoaf For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (17-10-2011),daisymoo  (18-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh i hope so! I hated last time being made to sit in recovery for half and hour without baby. THey refused to let me have him with me, but if i can ask them and they can't refuse me before hand then i will definately do that. I really hope you are right and it's possible OA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Orris Apjoko View Post
    Youtube 'The natural caesarean: a woman-centred technique' (WARNING IT IS GRAPHIC) and make some bullet points on what you want and then make a birthplan for your csection, as long as it is safe and possible. they can and have to do what you ask.
    Omg i'm watching it now..

Aww that was beautiful! I'm super clucky now lol. . Only thing is i'm not entirely sure they will let me have any of this in a public Sydney hospital. I have had 2 c sections at 2 diff hospitals and both times they took the baby away from me afterwards and made me wait in recovery for half an hour
    Last edited by laurea; 17-10-2011 at 12:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

I am a public patient too, I went in for my first OB (20 week) appointment and had my birth plan notes re family centered c-section. The OB I saw on the day totally shot me down and left me heart broken. After my scary experience emergency c-sec (though I couldnt fault the hospital/staff then, it was just the situation) I was so looking forward to this. the OB was not nasty at all and felt terrible that I started blubbering and couldnt stop :-( stupid hormones got on top of me. He said that I can wait and ask the OB that will actually handle my C-Sec (I dont see him or her until 34 weeks) as he may have a different view but he said that the hospital didnt facilitate these requests to his knowledge.

I dont like to put a downer in here as it is so uplifting but would hate to think of someone being as upset as I was when I was knocked back. I am still hopeful that the other OB will have a more flexible and accommodating but will be better prepared if I hear a no.

I so want this experience and hope that all of you other ladies can have this amazing experience. xxxx my fingers are crossed for you all

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would just be happy to not have to be separated from the baby while i am in recovery. I dont mind them taking the baby to do all the checks and stuff but once i am stitched up i would like to have my baby with me. Sounds reasonable enough. It's supremely annoying that hospitals dont want to accomodate this

Thanks
    Reviews
    dont lose heart Laurea your hospital or OB might be completely different and for all I know he might be one of those OBs that pushes for VBAC and was maybe trying to convert me by not providing the joyous experience I was wishing for. I guess I will find out at 34 weeks. But there are so many great stories on here so there is always hope for you. xxx

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    To be fair to the hospital, my understanding is that the reason bub can't always be with you in recovery is because you need to have a midwife with you (this is the case at my hospital anyway). We all know how short-staffed hospitals can be, so it's really no surprise that they might not have a midwife to spare.

I've always taken consolation in the fact that bub was with DH, and he really loved that time snuggling the baby and making their own bond. That said, having them both in recovery with me was amazing and I would love for everyone to have that experience .