+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by daisymoo View Post
    .Spoke to the hospital the other week and asked if bubs could come into reccovery with me,and all going well...Yes it can!
    So glad they will let your little one into recovery with you. With my last c-section they did not take him away at any point, they even weighed him & gave him his needles in the theatre while they were still stitching me up. It was so much nicer, they even assisted me so I could BF in recovery.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Here's my latest experience for those undaunted by its length... I do like to go on a bit

14th September 2011

I went to bed after midnight with my alarm set for 5am for a 6.30am appearance at the hospital. After waking almost hourly, I gave up on sleep at around 4am and set about the serious business of straightening my hair and completing all the last minute checks and rechecks. At around 5.15 I woke up DH and then MIL and the boys. It was exciting but a little stressful to hand everything over, and as we set off for the hospital I was already looking forward to coming home and starting life as a family of six.

We arrived at the hospital and were checked into my room. Gowns and stockings were donned, and any attempt at glamour was left behind. In no time at all I was being wheeled down to recovery, where we waited a while before DH was dressed up in scrubs and I was sent into theatre.

Soon I was looking down the business end of my spinal block, and feeling surprisingly positive about it. I had an epidural for my first caesarean and a spinal block for my second, and I absolutely hated both. However, the spinal block for my third was amazing, I literally didn’t feel a thing, and I was looking forward to the same experience this time around.

Not to be. The first and second attempts were filled with zapping nerves and horrible feelings of pressure in my bottom. As the anaesthetist was about to go in for the third attempt my obstetrician walked into the room and asked if we were done yet. No? Then he would take advantage, go deliver a baby, and see us in twenty minutes. (As it turns out, I actually knew the woman he went to deliver… Canberra, hey?!) The knowledge that I not only had to go through it a third time, but also had to wait an excruciating twenty minutes for the privilege saw me burst into tears and proceed to sob all over the nurse stationed by my side. The most beautiful student nurse rushed over and calmed me down until the anaesthetist was ready for attempt #3. I relaxed and breathed (with many, many thanks to afore-mentioned nurse) and before I knew it, it was over… I hadn’t felt a thing and could have cried all over again with relief.

I was laid down, DH was brought in, and everything progressed very quickly. (My heart did some funny business and the anesthetist juggled all his chemical cocktails accordingly. I gather my blood pressured bottomed out, then the drug they gave me for that made my heart sky-rocket, then one more drug brought that down and all was back to normal.) My ob explained that the initial incision (which is usually very quick) was taking a while due to a bit more scar tissue than usual, then it was time for all the pushing and tugging. With DS3 this part of proceedings was incredibly intense, it literally felt like the two doctors were jumping up and down on my tummy. This time there was one big pushing sensation (at which point DH kindly likened me to a tube of toothpaste) and that was really all there was to it before Alice was lifted up for us to see. I had a quick cuddle, then DH went over to cut the cord (the first time he’s done that!) and watch all the official baby checking business while I lay, lapping up all the lovely crying I’d been so looking forward to hearing.

Then came the loveliest surprise I could have imagined… usually at this point DH and baby are whisked away to the ward, while I get stitched up, and spend upwards of an hour in recovery alone. We have always seen this as a special time for DH to spend with the baby, and once I’m brought back up to the ward he introduces us properly. However, this time Alice was brought over and put on my chest, and DH sat behind us holding her in place. They were both with me like that throughout the whole stitching up process, and then both came into recovery with me. We had a midwife with us at all times, and she helped us start breastfeeding in recovery, which was an amazing experience.

I’ve really enjoyed all four of my caesareans, but this one was so incredibly special; being able to share the whole experience with DH and the baby was just perfect.

My recovery has also been amazing. As always, I spent the first day in bed hooked up to the self-administered pain relief. The next morning I got up for a shower and was up and about from then on. A couple of days into my hospital stay I started to decline any of the stronger medicines, as they made me feel a bit strange and spaced out. I felt pretty good by day 5 (the day I would normally go home) but decided to stay a fifth night, just to take advantage of all the help with feeding and spend a little more time bonding alone with Alice before being inundated with the rest of the family’s needs at home!

After my fifth night I was more than ready to come home, and after a couple of days taking Panadol and Nurofen I realised I didn’t actually have any pain to relieve, so I haven’t bothered taking anything since around the end of that first week. The only inconvenience the caesarean has caused me is that I’m not allowed to drive for another two weeks, although physically I certainly could. Luckily the boys are on two weeks’ holidays as of tomorrow, so I don’t need to drive anyway. All told, I would say I had two days of pain to deal with, and my pain relief was perfectly adequate to cover that; so much for the much-feared pain and recovery of caesareans!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

4fullstop  (29-09-2011),BlissedOut  (29-09-2011),cam11  (17-10-2011),Mazntrav  (03-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

So happy it went so beautifully!

I'm always amazed bubs and dad aren't always included in the recovery room. I had this with both and I would've found them not being there upsetting for sure.

Yay for quick healing, mine were similar.

Congrats on your Alice. <3

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post

So happy it went so beautifully!

I'm always amazed bubs and dad aren't always included in the recovery room. I had this with both and I would've found them not being there upsetting for sure.

Yay for quick healing, mine were similar.

Congrats on your Alice. <3
    Thank you! I've always been told that if they had a midwife available to be with us for the entire duration then partners and babies could come to recovery, but they never seemed to have enough on duty and I just accepted that this was the norm. Very happy to learn otherwise!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks again Lambjam that is an amazing story to share on the link, apart from the spinal all sounds to be a lovely experience. Congratulations and welcome to Little Alice how nice for you to have a pink bubba after all the blue

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazntrav View Post
    Thanks again Lambjam that is an amazing story to share on the link, apart from the spinal all sounds to be a lovely experience. Congratulations and welcome to Little Alice how nice for you to have a pink bubba after all the blue
    And re the spinal, a good friend of mine thinks it's pretty funny that the only part I dislike about my caesarean births is her favourite part of her vaginal births... she sees the epidural as nothing but relief from pain and can't wait for them to get it in!

Thanks
    Reviews
    LambJam congratulations on your new bub and yet another positive cs experience. Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am having an elective c/s on Monday so hopefully l can lost a good story in a week or so

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Danos1978 View Post
    I am having an elective c/s on Monday so hopefully l can lost a good story in a week or so
    Good Luck for Monday yay how exciting

Thanks
    Reviews
    Best of Luck Danos1978