+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Ceasareans can be Empowering!

I just wanted to let you ladies know that a c-section doesnt have to be all clinical and cold.

I have made the decision to have a repeat 4th c-sec after being so sure I wanted a VBA3C. But since I have changed my mind I wanted my c-sec to be about me and my baby. I have found an OB who is more than happy to accomodate my needs, things I will be getting are;

- bub to bake for as long as possible. He will be dleivered 2 days before his due date.

- to watch the delivery of my little man. The screen is up for the incision, but then removed and my head is assisted to watch his delivery.

- he will be delivered slowly. His head will be delvered, left for a moment, then his body will slowly be delivered. This allows him to make a gradual entrance into his new world without being shocked into it!

- he will be placed directly on my bare chest for skin to skin and the cord will not be cut for at least 30seconds. This allows him to gain some benefit of whatever blood, antibodies and Iron stored in the placenta.

- he will stay on my chest during suturing and the only time he will be taken by the paed is when I will be wheeled back to my room (my hospital does not have a recovery area). Dad will stay with him during this time and then he is returned back to me as soon as I am set up.

Other things that I have requested are;

- On the first day, bubs to be wrapped in a blanket brought from home. I will be sleeping with it, so if he is not with me, at least he can 'smell' me.

- to wear the beanie that I have crochet for him.

- not to be bathed until I can do it myself.

The stuff listed is not impossible and if there is no medical emergency then it is definately possible!
    Last edited by 4babycinos; 25-09-2010 at 14:32.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to 4babycinos For This Useful Post:

Angelmist♥  (10-03-2011),Bambaloo  (30-11-2011),Bellaxo  (07-01-2014),Dandlvv  (09-12-2011),Didge  (15-06-2012),Everyday  (25-04-2011),GothChick  (08-03-2012),laurea  (16-10-2011),LoCo  (02-03-2011),MamaC  (03-03-2011),Mazntrav  (13-09-2011),missjess86  (02-03-2011),Nmgb  (05-02-2012),Orris Apjoko  (08-03-2011),prettydino  (31-05-2011),Qwerty  (10-04-2012),TheCatsMeow  (10-03-2011),Witchypoo  (25-04-2011),~Emmylou~  (02-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree...my last CS was absolutely empowering, joyful and one of the loveliest experiences of my entire life. My daughter came into the world surrounded by laughter and happiness...and it was a planned CS after an emergency. I too was able to watch my daughter be delivered and then placed on my chest, i was the 2nd person to touch her (surgeon was first) and my DH was the 3rd. Perfect! I loved the birth of my DD - wouldn't change a thing! My ob was amazing also - and likes to make it as personal as posisble! After my CS i was totally empowered, i felt so connected to my child and on cloud nine!

So it can happen...CS can definitely be empowering! I really hope you get the birth you want! x

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ojmum For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (02-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hell yeah

My CS was 1000000 trillion times more empowering than my VB ever was!!

It was the most perfect experience and the most perfect, gentle, beautiful way for my son to make his entrance into this world. It was so relaxed and fun and just....yeah It was perfect. It was everything my nightmare (and un-empowering) VB wasn't.

As I've said before, If I ever have any more kids I'll be electing a CS from day one

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pinkzy For This Useful Post:

Bellaxo  (13-03-2014),LoCo  (02-03-2011)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've had three elective caesareans, and they have been the most beautiful experiences of my life.

I didn't find the atmosphere cold at all, everyone present has been happy and friendly and the overall atmosphere has been just lovely. For me, there couldn't have been a more perfect way for my babies to come into the world.

For those whose babies can't be with you in recovery, you may like to take comfort from my experience. With DS1 it was not an option for him to be with me in recovery, so DH held him for his first hour or so. He loved that time so very much, so much so that with my subsequent births I didn't even look into the option of having bub in recovery with me. As their mum I'm so privileged that I get to spend so much time bonding with the baby, I feel like that first hour my husband spends alone with the them is almost like a little gift from me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (02-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That sounds so lovely. I am hoping for a VBA2C but if i do end up having an elective c/s, i would do some of the things you have listed. Sounds like a great/personalised birth.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ComeBackKid For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (02-03-2011)

earthfairy is offline Winner 2009 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    In Antarctica for 12 months.... I mean Tassie!!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Well said!

I had my DD via emergency c-section after a 32 hour labour & am now pregnant with #2. I always said that i would like to try & have a VBAC but the last few days have been thinking about another c-section. Only because I know it will be different this time....it wont be an emergency or rushed, it will be calm & lovely......*sigh*

Who knows, but best of luck to you on your journey sweetheart

12. The Following User Says Thank You to earthfairy For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (02-03-2011)

MyFourCubs is offline MyThreeCubs plus one- I am the luckiest Mum in the world...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think that all sounds fabulous

I will be knocked out for my CS but to be honest I am pretty ok with it- spinals / epidurals don't work for me unfortunately and my greatest regret is that DH can't be present while they deliver which upset him last time but I will insist that he is notified immediately and that he is with bub when they take him up to the nursery.

I had 2 vaginal births which were quite honestly the worst experiences of my entire life- serious birth trauma so my ceaserean with dd2 was great!!!!!!!!! I am not dreading this one I am fairly relaxed and positive about it because I know I'm in good hands.

Yay for positive Ceaserean experiences!!!!!!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MyFourCubs For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (02-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's so glad to hear that other women have experienced positive and empowering c-sections

My other 3 c-section were cold and clinical and I vowed that I would never go through that again, hence the VBA3C. But it's such a step forward to women who have c-sections that they can get all the benefits of a vaginal birth - skin to skin, delayed cord clamping baby led attatchment etc, and have it somewhat 'natural'.

Keep the stories coming ladies, because I'm sure there are alot of women out there who dont know that they can request and get these things

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 4babycinos For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (02-03-2011)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Beautiful Mummalicious, that is very similar to what I want done should I or bubs ever require a C/S

18. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (02-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Totally agree!

I had a few requests when DS had to be born by CS so it would be more loving and not so clinical.

Unfortunately DS wasn't able to lie on my chest during the stitching up skin to skin, because he was having trouble regulating his temp, but they gave him to me wrapped during the 45 mins it took to put me back together.

I won't be disappointed if any future babies are by CS either.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Von Zipper For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (02-03-2011)