+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anyone studying Bachelor of education?

Hi,

I'm looking at studying the Bachelor of education (primary) through Open Universities / Curtin. I'm in NSW.
    I would love to hear from anyone who is also doing this course. I'm a stay at home mum to a nearly 3 year old & a 10 week old. Just wondering what the work load is like? Realistically how much study time is needed per day/week??
    I'm also a little concerned about needing to submit essays, i haven't written one of them in over 10 years & would have no idea how to write one. Are they a major part of the assessment?
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi,

I'm doing Primary Education through OUA at Curtin. I started about a month ago.

I'm also a SAHM with 2 kids. I wasn't sure what the workload would be like so I've started with just one unit. They say you should allow 10 hours a week per unit. TBH, I've found that most weeks I'm getting through the weeks work with plenty of time left. I suppose some weeks there is more reading than others but I've found it really easy to fit in and will be doing 2 units next SP.

Also, for the unit I'm doing, there are 2 assignments - 1 about half way through the unit and 1 at the end. Both are "reports" which I'm taking to be the same as essays. I hadn't done one for years either. I'm finding that its all coming back to me but I'm also fairly sure there are online courses (free if you're enrolled) to teach you how to write essays. It also helps to submit your other work each week as our tutor will read it and offer advice and tips and tell you if you're on the right track.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for the quick reply Maddys Mum I hope you don't mind i just have a few more questions?? (well i have lots but i will only hassle you with a few more...lol).

The first one is text books. They are quite expensive. A friend mentioned they can be bought second hand, but i wasn't sure if that was the case? Are you buying yours this way?

You mentioned the tutor (which i didn't know would be available, so thankyou), do they offer advice & correspond via email? Is that how assessments are submitted?

If you don't mind i would really appreciate your feedback

Thanks again, Kelly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Miss Kelly (and Maddy's mum!)

I am studying Bachelor of Education (Primary), not through OUA, but through Uni of Southern QLD via distance ed.

This semester (though it'll be over in a month!) I am studying Foundations of Numeracy and Assessment and Reporting. So far I'm finding it loads of fun, but a lot of hard work too.. Plan for me is to finish studying while being a SAHM to DD, and then will be qualified by the time she starts school. Hopefully the plan works out

About text books - yes, they are quite expensive. Shop around, there are sometimes some really cheap new copies through Fishpond or The Nile (I just ordered a book through The Nile and had it in two days, plus it was $20 cheaper than the uni bookshop).. The other alternative is second hand.. try ebay or just google the name of the text.

Good luck Make the most of forums & tutors if you need to!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm in my 2nd yr through OUA/curtin and to be honest the 1st year workload is nothing compared to the 2nd. this SP I have 4 assignments for one unit.... but then I'm also silly enough to be doing 3 units at once. but yeah the 2nd yrs units so far have a lot of extra reading/activities/assignments I think.

Also someone said essays/reports are the same- ask your tutor about the differences or on the DB(best to maybe come into the 2nd yr students part and ask cos lots of us there have figured the differences)- there are some differences between reports/essays that you get marked down for like sub titles etc...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How will you get through it????

Hi everyone

I too am studying primary education. It is so exciting to be learning all of this information and be able to apply it with in your own home!

I am in my final year with only 4 subjects left to go, sort of phew, but I now have 2 little bundles of joy to boot and am now terribly worried how will I cope with 2 kiddies under 19 months and do all of these assignments.

I was wondering if any of you lovely people can offer some organisational tips for studying with kids.

I am studying through ACU in Brisbane but have done some subjects by correspondence at USQ. Both universities are fantastic and each offer support in different ways. If you are studying by correspondce I highly recommend becoming good friends with your tutor, even if it is just via emails or the telephone as they are always a wealth of knowledge, and the more the tutor knows about your workload the more support or insights they will offer.

If you have any questions about the degree please feel free to ask, I may not know the answers but will happily try to assist in any way, likewise if you can give me tips on how to manage a house and kiddies and a hubby I would be eternally grateful as my semester with just one bub and studying fulltime nearly killed me!

Good luck to you all, the journey will be all worthwhile when you get your first lot of holidays all paid... hehehehe.

Cheers
    Nic

Thanks
    Reviews
    My experience having done two Study Periods of BEd through Curtin Uni (online) has been stressful, discouraging and extremely demotivating. I am currently seeking an alternate provider (switching to post grad).