+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by me n he View Post
    i know that but i want him to eat what is in front of him, not have to go and make him a thousand and one different things just for breakfast lunch and dinner.

anyway i am going as i am really in a crap mood atm.
    Don't let people make you feel like you are doing something wrong by giving him a sausage roll which is the vibe I have got from this thread . Lucas has HJs for lunch today and then pizza for dinner so don't stress.

Anyways, here's how I see it.
    If Coop had asked for the sausage roll I would be trying to enforce the eating of it because I think that asking for food and then not eating it is sooo wasteful. If he had it bought for him but didn't want it, nah don't stress.

Its so frustrating isn't it! I can't stand Lucas wasting food but in this house (what works for us ) is he doesn't get anything if he doesn't eat his dinner unless he wants a piece of fruit. I would never say no to a piece of fruit.

Hope that helped.

Veritas is offline Diversity has value.... How boring would the world be if everyone was just like you...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by me n he View Post
    by crap i mean chips and other rubbish food. i dont want him to just eat vege chips all day long or other biscuits or fruit bars etc, i want him to eat something that is good for him but wont always do that. i am lucky he is loving strawberries right now and is eating them by the truck load however he wont normally eat fruit because he would prefer to eat chips and biscuits etc.

i always have fresh fruit available for him and he wont eat raw veges so i dont bother with those anymore.

its kind of like a damned if i do force him to eat or damned if i dont force him to eat because he will only end up eating absolute rubbish and if we dont have anything, he seriously wont eat. i am fairly relaxed with his eating however i just want him to eat what is put out in front of him, not to say yummy while its cooking then as soon as its dished up, yuk mum, i dont want it.
    To be honest, and coming from someone with one of the worlds fussiest little princesses, just don't offer the cr@p! Only give him choices of foods you are happy have the nutritional content you're happy with, and he gets to make a choice of which one he eats, and how much.... if he chooses not to, take it away and if he asks for food again either bring it back out or tell him he has to wait til the next meal....

It's an absolute rarity that a child will allow themselves to starve, they will eat eventually.... I give DD choices of things I am happy for her to have in her diet... In all honesty it really doesn't have a great deal of variety, but there is nothing (that she gets on a regular basis) that I would consider junk and nutritionally empty....

You choose what you buy, you choose what you offer him, and he chooses what he eats! Well that's what has worked for us through mounds and mounds of absolute fussiness and obstinence..... It will take persistance and patience and certainly isn't a quick fix, but by gradually introduce new elements to their diet, and this may involve being on a plate time and time and time again until they even pick it up, but you will make progress when they are ready....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SausageFest View Post
    Don't let people make you feel like you are doing something wrong by giving him a sausage roll which is the vibe I have got from this thread . Lucas has HJs for lunch today and then pizza for dinner so don't stress.

Anyways, here's how I see it.
    If Coop had asked for the sausage roll I would be trying to enforce the eating of it because I think that asking for food and then not eating it is sooo wasteful. If he had it bought for him but didn't want it, nah don't stress.

Its so frustrating isn't it! I can't stand Lucas wasting food but in this house (what works for us ) is he doesn't get anything if he doesn't eat his dinner unless he wants a piece of fruit. I would never say no to a piece of fruit.

Hope that helped.

I think it's the people on here that are making the sausage roll too much of an issue lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biscotti View Post

I understand that you want him to have a good relationship with food and good eating habits but by expecting him to eat a sausage roll in order to be able to have fruit or a sandwich just doesn't read right iykwim.
    DH once caught himself telling our then 3 yr old DS to finish his pizza (home made but still sounded funny) or he'd get no fruit salad. He laughed at himself and just gave DS the fruit salad.

As parents we have to decide what for us is the biggest issue at that moment and stick to it, consistency is important. Not everyone is going to agree 100% of the time, everyone posting here has the benefit of their 20/20 hindsight I dare say you didn't have at the time so don't take it too hard.

Hope this post makes as much sense when I wake up as when it was written!

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    ffs people it's a sausage roll not a can of coke. I get sick of this holier than thou 'i would never feed my child such rubbish' business. And she's NOT talking about forcing coop to eat something he hates. He likes sausage rolls. Eats 'em all the time. It's not unreasonable to say 'we don't waste food in this house' when he asks for something, doesn't eat it, asks for something else, so on and so on. Might not be what every parent would do but please don't make her feel like a bad mother because she is NOT trying to force him to eat a whole plate full of food he doesn't like, just to follow through with his choices.

Thanks
    Reviews
    mmm, I feel like a sausage roll right now after reading this...sorry what was the question

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry I couldn't be bothered reading all the replies, as they seem to be of an "anti-sausage roll" bent lol. Sausage rolls are awesome, yummo!!
    Honestly there is no way you need to offer him something else. You decide whats on offer, if he doesn;t want it, that's it, wait till the next meal. We all worry far too much about eating IMO... forcing a child to eat is ridiculous, and forcing them to finish their plate is worse (I know you weren't doing that, me n he, I just mean in general).
    At our place, we offer 5 meals a day: breakfast, morning tea, lunch, arvo tea, and dinner. Plus drinks in between. If they don't finish their meal they wait till the next one and the leftovers go to the dog. They are in charge of their own bodies and so there is no forcing, berating, manipulating etc. If they do finish their meal and are still hungry, they get seconds or yoghurt or similar.
    The only times I find it really hard are when someone else (in laws!!) have cooked, in which case there feels like an obligation to make them finsih, which ****s me to tears. Our kids are fussy, no doubt, but that's who they are and I love them!!
    Me n he you are doing a fine job, and don't let anyone get you down

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Don't let people make you feel bad for letting him eat a suasage roll, Pffft its just a sausage roll.

The main issue is with him not eating what he is given and then asking for other things straight after.

Just do what feels right for you, lots of people have given their ideas but ultimately you are his MUM and you get to decide what action to take with him.

There is no right or wrong way of doing things, just do what you find works best for your boy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by aliblue View Post
    ffs people it's a sausage roll not a can of coke. I get sick of this holier than thou 'i would never feed my child such rubbish' business. And she's NOT talking about forcing coop to eat something he hates. He likes sausage rolls. Eats 'em all the time. It's not unreasonable to say 'we don't waste food in this house' when he asks for something, doesn't eat it, asks for something else, so on and so on. Might not be what every parent would do but please don't make her feel like a bad mother because she is NOT trying to force him to eat a whole plate full of food he doesn't like, just to follow through with his choices.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by aliblue View Post

She's not pouring lard down his throat .

The whole objective of this thread was to get some advice about how to stop Coop wasting food and not eating when he has asked for food, not whether you agree with the whole sausage roll "controversy". Good lord.