+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would not expect my child to eat a sausage roll, or chips or a piece of cake. I place expectations on them to finish healthy foods and they know this.

If someone buys them something that is not healthy then I actually don't care if they don't eat it. They can ask me for something else as i will give them something like fruit or a healthy sandwich.

I don't want them developing bad eating habits so it wouldn't surprise me if they refused to eat something like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Meh, if it was me i would offer something else, maybe he didnt feel like a sausage roll

I am not a food nazi. I am happy if my kids eat something, but i never have had to force them to eat.

I would prefer to offer them a piece of fruit or some veggie sticks or something over a sausage roll so if they didnt want the sausage roll i wouldnt make a big fuss.

I remember eldest DD went through a stage of refusing to eat what she was served, and i would just give her a crumpet before she went to bed. She usually ate the dinner the following day for lunch or something.

DD3 does it now to. She eats alot over the day so i dont really care about her dinner meal. She to has it for her early lunch the following day.

I would never ever make my kids eat something they didnt want to, just like i wont. Sometimes you just dont feel like eating whats in front of you. I am sure you have felt like something and got up and made it/brought it. I do prefer if they try new things, which mine happily do because food is always a happy time for us, not time to get upset. If DD doe snot want carrots, she doesnt get them, if she wants them raw, then i am happy to serve her raw ones with her dinner.

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would probably have saved it, offered it again later then given up (and eaten it myself probably!!)
    I think people think I spoil DS with food because I will keep offering different things if he refuses. So If I make dinner and he won't eat it, I will offer him sandwich or a banana or baked beans or whatever. As long as he actually eats. I WISH he would just eat the dinner but it's rare that he does and if he goes without, I'm stuck bfing him all night until I'm bawling from exhaustion or sore nipples! He is like a bird. Sounds a bit like Cooper actually! Takes aaaaages to eat anything and is really fussy. I find the "this or that?" approach better than "what do you want?" but really, meal time is like pulling teeth around here. DH and I make fools of ourselves trying to be enthusiastic over mashed potato or something and he's all "no hanks, no hanks." blaah!

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JabberJaw View Post
    Meh, if it was me i would offer something else,
    Me too.
    To be honest, I wouldn't offer a sausage roll to my 3 year old because I don't expect my kids to eat something that I wouldn't eat and there's no way I'm eating a sausage roll. I'd go with the banana or a sandwich and not dwell on it all too much, he's 3.

by not giving him anything else, i mean a sandwich, banana or strawberries or whatever else he wants?

i dont want him to starve yet i want him to start eating what is in front of him, not having to make him something else all the time or cave in and give him the crap he wants to eat if that makes sense.
    And I'm a bit confused here with "the crap that he wants to eat" - I think some strawberries or a banana or a sandwich is preferable over the sausage roll anyway isn't it??
    Cheers
    Last edited by Mod-biscotti; 19-09-2010 at 22:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biscotti View Post
    And I'm a bit confused here with "the crap that he wants to eat" - I think some strawberries or a banana or a sandwich is preferable over the sausage roll anyway isn't it??
    Cheers
    by crap i mean chips and other rubbish food. i dont want him to just eat vege chips all day long or other biscuits or fruit bars etc, i want him to eat something that is good for him but wont always do that. i am lucky he is loving strawberries right now and is eating them by the truck load however he wont normally eat fruit because he would prefer to eat chips and biscuits etc.

i always have fresh fruit available for him and he wont eat raw veges so i dont bother with those anymore.

its kind of like a damned if i do force him to eat or damned if i dont force him to eat because he will only end up eating absolute rubbish and if we dont have anything, he seriously wont eat. i am fairly relaxed with his eating however i just want him to eat what is put out in front of him, not to say yummy while its cooking then as soon as its dished up, yuk mum, i dont want it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by me n he View Post
    by crap i mean chips and other rubbish food. i dont want him to just eat vege chips all day long or other biscuits or fruit bars etc, i want him to eat something that is good for him but wont always do that. i am lucky he is loving strawberries right now and is eating them by the truck load however he wont normally eat fruit because he would prefer to eat chips and biscuits etc.

i always have fresh fruit available for him and he wont eat raw veges so i dont bother with those anymore.

its kind of like a damned if i do force him to eat or damned if i dont force him to eat because he will only end up eating absolute rubbish and if we dont have anything, he seriously wont eat. i am fairly relaxed with his eating however i just want him to eat what is put out in front of him, not to say yummy while its cooking then as soon as its dished up, yuk mum, i dont want it.
    Hun I think what people are trying to say is that sausage rolls is cr*p food too. There are a lot more healthier options.

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    coop got a sausage roll ... he put on a massive tantrum to not eat it. would it be unfair to him to not give him anything else until he eats at least half of that sausage roll?

by not giving him anything else, i mean a sandwich, banana or strawberries
    Look, I'm going to be blunt. Yes, I think it's "unfair" or inappropriate to wait for him or expect him to have half a sausage roll that he clearly he does not want before he is offered fruit or a sandwich.

I understand that you want him to have a good relationship with food and good eating habits but by expecting him to eat a sausage roll in order to be able to have fruit or a sandwich just doesn't read right iykwim.
    Last edited by Mod-biscotti; 19-09-2010 at 22:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by An Chen View Post
    Hun I think what people are trying to say is that sausage rolls is cr*p food too. There are a lot more healthier options.
    i know that but i want him to eat what is in front of him, not have to go and make him a thousand and one different things just for breakfast lunch and dinner.

anyway i am going as i am really in a crap mood atm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i know that but i want him to eat what is in front of him, not have to go and make him a thousand and one different things just for breakfast lunch and dinner.

anyway i am going as i am really in a crap mood atm.
    I get what you are saying and it is up to you as a mother to decide. I don't think it's such a bad thing what you are doing necessarily.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's just food

try not to get so hung up on it

if he didn't want it then move on
    saudage rolls make me want to vomit I would never expect my kids to want to eat something they don't like just as if someone forced me to eat a sausage roll I would be majourly sick

Kids have appetites just like the rest of us
    I don't understand the wholeyou have to eat what your given thing
    I won't do it if I can't stomach something so why should a child