+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    almfam37 is offline Just keep cooking, cooking cooking (baby that is)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont think its mean at all. Prior to cracking down i was cooking 2 different meals every dinner time because i made it normal for us and my DD would have a breakdown and say no no and id make something else. It was hard work and really she didnt benefit. So now whatever we have she gets i understand she doesnt like onions etc so i let her pick those out but if its something new i always tell her she has to try at least two bites of it. Sometimes she will sit there for forty minutes pushing it around the plate and not eating so now we just say right if its not done by so and so time its gone. Meal times are still a struggle but its getting better and she is now eating alot more variety and most of the times alot more

Goodluck

Veritas is offline Diversity has value.... How boring would the world be if everyone was just like you...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuchsia! View Post
    I don't make my kids eat anything they don't want and don't force them to eat.

Thats me though, I don't want my kids to have an unhealthy relationship with food.

I know myself sometimes i might feel like something, then when im actually eating it, i don't want it anymore.

I also couldn't stand if someone put something in front of me i don't like and made me eat it all.

If my kids don't want it, then they don't want it and i don't force them to eat anything.

I also don't cook seperate meals. If they don't like what i cook, they are quite welcome to have some fruit and yogurt or make themselves a sandwich.

My children are awesome eaters majority of the time. I want them to have a nice relationship with food.

When i was a child, my mother used to force me to eat everything on my plate or i would go without, even now as an adult, i feel like i HAVE to finish whats on my plate because thats what was drummed into my head from an early age and i have a very unhealthy relationship with food.
    Precisely the same approach here....

I offer her a variety of foods, and it is her choice if she eats them or not, and how much.... I would NEVER force her to eat a food, that's just asking for trouble, more battles, and some not so great associations with food if you ask me....

DD can be a picky eater at times, but she is encouraged to eat healthy foods and the meals dished up, and told why it is important....

The meals dished up to her are not huge as to not be overwhelming.... usually include something I definitely know she will eat, something she is likely to eat most times, and something new I'd like her to try..... It's up to her to decide when she is ready and comfortable to expand her palate....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ManekiNeko View Post
    But the thing is no one quoted you and questioned your beliefs they just expressed their own which was not the same as yours and it seemed as if you took it personally. And yes i said you are entitled to that I didn't not say you weren't.
    True. I just don't think there is one right approach to all this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    i understand about not pushing food onto my child however if i dont do it to a certain degree, he will not eat. i was forced as a child to eat whatever was on the plate which is why i wont eat certain foods to this day now however i dont force him to eat, i encourage him to eat a min of 3 mouthfuls which i think is acceptable for a child his age.

tonight for dinner, he had 1 sausage, mashed potato, peas, brocolli and cauliflower. all he ate was one sausage and then asked for another so i gave him another. he only had child servings of his dinner which he should of been able to eat but chose not to. then 10mins after dinner, he said he was hungry.

do i give in and give him yoghurt and whatever he wants so he doesnt have food issues when he is older or do i put my foot down and make him eat. it took him about 40mins to just eat those sausages as it was and he said he was finished.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    well, as I said, I would give the yoghurt but it really depends on you and what stance you want to take What I will say though, is hypothetically if you make him eat it, what will be the outcome, and is it a battle you will win?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    See, what I would do is tell him that he can have another sausage after eating a couple of mouthfuls of the rest. This kind of thing usually works for me. Often I end up having to feed the vegies to DS myself, as he won't feed it to himself but will eat it if i spoon it in.
    To encourage my son to eat his food, I let him choose between two meals what we will have for dinner. If he decides he wants something else like yogurt, fruit etc he needs to make a reasonable attempt at eating what is on his plate. I don't "force" him to eat it as such....just blackmail LOL. If I can tell he really doesnt like what i have cooked, or isn't really hungry, I'll offer him something healthy so i know he still has something in his tummy. But if he's just not hungry i wont force him to eat.

nat278 is offline <<< View from the little piece paradise I call home....
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmm that is tough, I think you may have to stick to your guns on that one cause in that circumstance he isn't going to starve he has had 2 sausages so maybe keep offering the uneaten foods rather than give new foods.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by me n he View Post
    i understand about not pushing food onto my child however if i dont do it to a certain degree, he will not eat. i was forced as a child to eat whatever was on the plate which is why i wont eat certain foods to this day now however i dont force him to eat, i encourage him to eat a min of 3 mouthfuls which i think is acceptable for a child his age.

tonight for dinner, he had 1 sausage, mashed potato, peas, brocolli and cauliflower. all he ate was one sausage and then asked for another so i gave him another. he only had child servings of his dinner which he should of been able to eat but chose not to. then 10mins after dinner, he said he was hungry.

do i give in and give him yoghurt and whatever he wants so he doesnt have food issues when he is older or do i put my foot down and make him eat. it took him about 40mins to just eat those sausages as it was and he said he was finished.
    Have you asked him a closed ended question about whether he wants a, b or c for dinner? that way he gets more input into the situation and carries more responsbility.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by An Chen View Post
    Have you asked him a closed ended question about whether he wants a, b or c for dinner? that way he gets more input into the situation and carries more responsbility.
    i give him choices usually 3 nights a week as he would only choose things like baked beans or noodles if i let him choose every night. all the other nights, he helps prepare the food as well which doesnt help either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by me n he View Post
    i give him choices usually 3 nights a week as he would only choose things like baked beans or noodles if i let him choose every night. all the other nights, he helps prepare the food as well which doesnt help either.

He can only choose those things if it's an open ended question, not a closed question.