+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by An Chen View Post
    Mine eats anything, and his whole school lunch is discussed with me and it must all be eaten by the time I pick him up. His dinners, breakfasts and lunches are all eaten. I usually ask him how much he wants and then that is how much he must eat.

He's not allowed to leave the table until he finishes eating it. I found the won't give him anything else tactic didn't work because he's a copy of me which means he will go on hunger strike until I succumb. Perhaps try that approach - coming to a mutual agreemment as to how much he will eat, and then having to eat it all.
    might try that again. we have tried it once awhile ago for a week or 2 and didnt work as he kept saying he wanted more and more as i kept dishing up on his plate even though i knew he wouldnt eat it.

today for breakfast, he had a bowl of nutrigrain which he only ate about 5 single pieces and that was half hour of sitting at the table. i didnt give it to him when he woke up as i knew he wouldnt eat it but i gave it to him an hour and a half later as thats what he told me he was hungry. when i was asleep, dad gave him some chips and thats all he has had today. he has eaten today but not alot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by me n he View Post
    might try that again. we have tried it once awhile ago for a week or 2 and didnt work as he kept saying he wanted more and more as i kept dishing up on his plate even though i knew he wouldnt eat it.

today for breakfast, he had a bowl of nutrigrain which he only ate about 5 single pieces and that was half hour of sitting at the table. i didnt give it to him when he woke up as i knew he wouldnt eat it but i gave it to him an hour and a half later as thats what he told me he was hungry. when i was asleep, dad gave him some chips and thats all he has had today. he has eaten today but not alot.
    Then just say you're giving him this amount (the amount you think his body needs and he will eat), and then if he finishes that he can have more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I also found that if i put a dish with dinner out and some serving spoons and tongs ds and dd will eat a lot more, they eat what they ghrab to put on their plate themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Did he request the sausage roll? I he said he wanted it then i would make him eat it later.
    We have food at certain times for the kids , so breaky , morn tea, lunch , afternoon tea, supper.
    If they don't eat their lunch then i tell them thats fine but you wont be getting anything else untill afternoon tea time.
    I keep lunch in the fridge for them so if they are hungry in between they have the option of eating it but otherwise they have to wait untill 3 pm to get anything else.

You could use that technique with coop. Tell him afternoon tea is at ....such and such time, If he is hungry he can have the sausage roll, otherwise he will have to wait till later and he can have fruit or whatever.

Its not mean at all, kids need boundary's and once they know what the rules are they usually settle down and give up on the silly behaviour because they learn that whatever they do is not going to make you cave in to them.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    i have in a way stuck to my gun on the no eating anything else. he woke up and said he was hungry so went and heated up the sausage roll for him to eat. after a half hour struggle of him refusing, he had a banana as wanted him to have something in his belly as i didnt want him to starve. he ate the entire banana up. he has asked for some biscuits but i said no and he got all upset but i explained why. have dinner cooking away right now which will be ready in about half hour so he can have his dinner and hopefully we will get a good result out of that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a food routine with DS that we all discussed and agreed with as I found he was snacking a lot in the morning but not eating his breakfast. We laid out the rules and he knows the deal.

Breakfast 1/2 cup of cereal and milk, when that's finished he has half a piece of fruit, when that's finished he has half a tub of yoghurt. If he's still hungry he can then have more cereal and so on. But his next meal is morning tea so if he doesn't finish his cereal it's continued to ne offered until morning tea time. That goes for the fruit and yogurt too.

Morning tea is the other half of his fruit and the other half of his yoghurt. He never has any troubles with that. Lunch time is midday and it's a sandwhich/wrap on soy and linseed bread, he chooses what filling from these options: cheese, ham, salad, peanut butter, vegemite or hummus. If he's still hungry it's another half a piece of fruit and some cheese.

Afternoon tea is half a cup of vegies with home made dip. Then dinner is half a cup of vegies, some carb like rice, pasta, potato, cous cous etc and some protien. If he's still hungry it's another half a cup of vegies then fruit and yoghurt.

Milk is offered as a half a glass at breaky, lunch and dinner, any other times is water. Obviously we bake too so he occasionally gets a piklet or 4 or a bicci etc. Sometimes we might go out for ice cream or something yummy. I'm strict on food as an everyday thing but there are variables like scarmbled eggs a few times a week instead of cereal or vegie pasta for lunch or if we go out he can order what he likes (within reason).

Anyway I know it's an essay but we did it together all three of us so we all know the rules. If he's sick it's a bit different but at least by following our menu plan I know he's getting plenty of fruit, dairy, protein, grains and vegies .

I hope this helps I just think it's bit tough to come on strong without laying down clear expectations. I hope dinner is better for you.

ETA. I agree with the pp in regards to the sausage roll not being something I would push. I don't push for him to eat anything though, it's his choice. Also IMO sausage rolls aren't that great and i might feel like one but after a few bites they just sit heavy and oily so he might have not liked it today . The only think I'm tough on is healthy food. He doesn't get the biscuit or the piklet if he hasn't had the fruit because there's no nutrients just yumminess
    Last edited by Leisa21; 19-09-2010 at 18:06.

Fuchsia! is offline Winner 2009 - Best Signature
    Winner 2010- The Best Signature Award
    Shmoooooooosh! AKA jaxcoop
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't make my kids eat anything they don't want and don't force them to eat.

Thats me though, I don't want my kids to have an unhealthy relationship with food.

I know myself sometimes i might feel like something, then when im actually eating it, i don't want it anymore.

I also couldn't stand if someone put something in front of me i don't like and made me eat it all.

If my kids don't want it, then they don't want it and i don't force them to eat anything.

I also don't cook seperate meals. If they don't like what i cook, they are quite welcome to have some fruit and yogurt or make themselves a sandwich.

My children are awesome eaters majority of the time. I want them to have a nice relationship with food.

When i was a child, my mother used to force me to eat everything on my plate or i would go without, even now as an adult, i feel like i HAVE to finish whats on my plate because thats what was drummed into my head from an early age and i have a very unhealthy relationship with food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I agree entirely with Fuschia.

I have a screwed relationship with food, and it started from my parents. I'm not trying to make you feel bad, but I think you have to tread carefully with food issues.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Having a child that doesnt eat im likely not qualified to answer this question but oh well.

I wouldnt make a child eat a sausage roll its not like they get any nourishment from them anyway. If they dont want to eat that sort of thing and ask for a sandwhich instead or a bit of fruit I would think that is a better option anyway. I know my self some days I just cant stomach a sausage roll i think its something you really have to fancy to eat it, but thats just me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Babymaker View Post
    Yes, to me a sausage roll is a sometimes food so I would not make a child eat it if it was on offer.
    I agree completely