+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SausageFest View Post
    Ahh its so frustrating isn't it.

Honestly though, he will grow out of this phase ans he wont starve himself (its what I keep telling myself ). I mean, what teenage boy says no to food...none that I know! I am preparing for the hundreds upon hundreds of dollars I will be required to spend on groceries with these boys in years to come lol.
    yeah it is frustrating. i dont let him see it, i am just happy if he eats his 3 spoonfuls as i think thats a fair amount for him.

oh yes, the teenage years is when the cupboards will be even barer than what they are now lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Since you seem to have so much drama with food, has he been referred to a Pead?

My sisters son just went for a similar problem, turns out eh has some kind of sensory issues (ie the textures in his mouth) So making it not the actual taste of the food but more how it feels in his mouth.

I mean really i have it myself. I like yogurt but give me one of those ones made for kids(the ones they suck up) i almost vomit. Same thing if i see people lick ice cream stick, even thinking about it gives me horrors. I also like the taste of fish but dont eat it at all as it feels slimy in my mouth which leads me to automatically believe that it is off.

Maybe get a referral to a Pead. My Nephew was referred from the pead to a psychologist...he has his first meeting next week. He is very fussy with clothes too. Only will wear certain favorites.

Maybe your DS has similar issues my sister noticed fussiness around 3ish and he turned 5 about 2 weeks ago.
    Last edited by JabberJaw; 20-09-2010 at 19:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JabberJaw View Post
    Since you seem to have so much drama with food, has he been referred to a Pead?

My sisters son just went for a similar problem, turns out eh has some kind of sensory issues (ie the textures in his mouth) So making it not the actual taste of the food but more how it feels in his mouth.

I mean really i have it myself. I like yogurt but give me one of those ones made for kids(the ones they suck up) i almost vomit. Same thing if i see people lick ice cream stick, even thinking about it gives me horrors. I also like the taste of fish but dont eat it at all as it feels slimy in my mouth which leads me to automatically believe that it is off.

Maybe get a referral to a Pead. My Nephew was referred from the pead to a psychologist...he has his first meeting next week. He is very fussy with clothes too. Only will wear certain favorites.

Maybe your DS has similar issues my sister noticed fussiness around 3ish and he turned 5 about 2 weeks ago.
    i will give my social worker a call tomorrow as she can arrange all that for me really quickly so wont have to go through a doctor. didnt even think of that tbh as if that will help, i would be so happy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by me n he View Post
    geeze, sorry for not being so perfect unlike so many others. perhaps i will go and shove a can or better still a bottle of coke down his throat to make it better for him. i am pretty darn sure i am not the only one giving my child a sausage roll. it was only an example of yesterday. he doesnt eat them 24/7 as some seem to think.
    him.
    Quote Originally Posted by MunchiesMummy View Post
    OK people SLOWLY SLOWLY step away from the crazy anti sausage roll campaign!
    I'm more moderate than many on here. I don't see any problem with a sausage roll, as long as it's a 'sometimes' food. I'm sure Bec feeds him veges and other good things on top on that one sausage roll

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchsia! View Post
    Look at the end of the day, you can't force feed him. It really is as simple as that. If he doesn't eat, then he doesn't eat.

Its probably just a stage that he is going through, my 3.5yr old is doing the same thing.

I just make sure i implement some of the foods into his diet, like if he wants yogurt, well thats his dairy intake, if he feels like eating strawberries all day, well thats his fruit intake.

Have you tried making up a platter for him? Im going to try this with my DS, put all the fruits and healthy options onto a platter and sit it in the lounge room so he can go to and from it.

With my thinking, my son is only 3.5yrs, he is stubborn and he does not want to budge, he has PLENTY of time to learn to eat things and how much and the consequences.

TBH i would be focusing on getting him to eat, whatever he likes (of course healthy options) let him eat it.

You just can't make him eat, its stressful for you and its stressful for him. And eventually he will rebel something chronic and when dinner time is coming up he already has it in his head he must refuse food because he knows its going to be stressful.

Maybe just relax a little, be calm, let him eat what he wants, whether thats strawberries for dinner or whatever, but it will be a lot less stressful for the both of you if you just relax.

Well thats my take on it. I went through the same thing with my oldest, i used to force him to eat his dinner really bad, eventually we both dreaded meal times and he would never eat. As soon as i relaxed, and let him lead it became a lot more easier and he was more prepared to try new things.

He is 7 now and its a FANTASTIC eater with a grea appeitite and loves trying new things.
    Again I agree with Fuchsia. You can't force him and the more you do you will create a power struggle. Very few children will starve themselves. My DD is 6 and up until the last 6 months was a terribly fussy child. I just picked my battles, I didn't force her, just gave her something else healthy that didn't require cooking another meal. She now eats fantastic Sure, she still has certain foods she won't eat, but I know there are certain foods I won't eat too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by me n he View Post
    i will give my social worker a call tomorrow as she can arrange all that for me really quickly so wont have to go through a doctor. didnt even think of that tbh as if that will help, i would be so happy.
    It may or may not be the problem but worth looking into.

I have never had the problem with my kids, but my nephew is super fussy and we just thought he was well...fussy but apparently he is not. He is so particular about food, how its cut etc and has dry toast with vegimite (no butter) which i thought was odd, but now sister mentioned the sensory issue, maybe the butter makes it to soggy I too like cold toast with butter AFTER its cold, only eat hot toast if it has marmalade! I am also particular where i eat, i very very rarely will eat at someone elses house. So i think i am similar to my nephew. I thought it was because i have a germ phobia, but even talking to my mum she said nephew is like i was!

But like i said, its worth looking into, i am not sure what they can do about it but Sister had her appoint with psycologist (without nephew present) and she did tell her that they will 'teach' him ways to cope and to eat foods that he needs but chooses not to eat. I am assuming she is talking about disguising foods, maybe even showing him they are there but showing him they can have different textures...dunno, just assuming. He ALWAYS asks my sister for soft drink, she buys it, he takes one sip and thats it. But will drink it a day or 2 later when its flat.

best of luck. Hopefully it will sort itself out eventually.

I know that typically kids DO often go through a stage of refusing food,, and things they loved yesterday they do hate today but since he refuses an assortment of food, its probably best to look further into it to avoid problems later on.