+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Finding an obstetrician, Melbourne

Hi, I've just found out i'm pregnant, and according to the calculations I'll be due on 19th May, 2011. The only problem is we are overseas in Europe, and then Thailand (getting married), until the 13th October. Hence i can;t see a Dr until then. We signed up for private obstetrics cover, which unfortunately won't start until the 31st May, 2011 - about 2 weeks too late! Yep, we fell pregnant a little too early - my fault for not calculating the start date correctly as the date of your last period! Therefore, I'm after some advice. I would like to find a private obstetrician who delivers in a public hospital either in the city or inner Melbourne's West (we live in newport). I presume i need to organise an appointment before i get back, as i'll be about 9-10 weeks by then?

I've heard Peter Jurcevic is good, but perhaps a bit hard to get in to considering it's a bit late.

Please help.

leajones22 is offline Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The best thing to do would be to ring them and ask if they are taking on any patients but you would have to do it now. You should still be able to get into an ob and when you get back just go to the gp and get them to write a refferal to the ob you have chosen. But make sure when ringing around for an ob to ask what their costs are.

My ob is pretty reasonably priced about $50 per appointment and you get back about $36 from medicare and for the management fee he bulk bills the lot. But I am in the eastern suburbs of melb but I am sure you will find someone.

Guest Guest
    There are ones who deliver at Werribee Mercy definately, Royal melbourne Womens don't have this option of private ob care in their public (I've already researched this as this is where I'm going, I live in Yarraville) And the only other one is Sunshine, but not sure if you can have private ob care there?
    I 'did' have some names of ob's in the area who deliver there, but best way would be word of mouth and calling the hospital, you'd have to check if your in the catchment too. I wish I could remember the name of the one I was recommended, he's in Altona? oops
    When you find one, make an appointment now, you won't get your first appointment till probably 10 weeks anyway, then when you get back go to your gp and get the referal letter.
    Have you called your private health fund? They would probably actually let you deliver private and cover you for only 2 weeks out, it's definately worth a try.
    Good Luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, thanks. I rang my health fund as i thought they might "come to the party" but unfortunantely they are pretty strict. I rang Werribee Hospital, and they said 2 out of 4 of their ob's were not taking anyone new, and the only 2 left were Dr How and Dr Caloundra. I have seen Dr How before for a gynae prob, and we weren't wrapped, considering every time we went back, he asked, and "who are you??"

The other, i;m not too keen on either as he is not a fan of exercise during pregnancy, and i;m a triahtlete, and plan to continue exercising right through. Any thoughts on others?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i live in ascot vale and had anna rogers as my ob. can't speak highly enough of her. not sure whether she delivers at RWH, but she does at frances perry house which is the private hospital attached to the RWH. she works in a practice with 3 other female obs, all of whom i met and i liked them all. in the end one of the other obs ended up delivering DS.

might be worth giving the practice a call and asking. they're right opposite the RWH on flemington rd. practice is called Obstetrics & Gynaecology Group Melbourne.

good luck

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LiddleLozzy View Post
    Hi, thanks. I rang my health fund as i thought they might "come to the party" but unfortunantely they are pretty strict. I rang Werribee Hospital, and they said 2 out of 4 of their ob's were not taking anyone new, and the only 2 left were Dr How and Dr Caloundra. I have seen Dr How before for a gynae prob, and we weren't wrapped, considering every time we went back, he asked, and "who are you??"

The other, i;m not too keen on either as he is not a fan of exercise during pregnancy, and i;m a triahtlete, and plan to continue exercising right through. Any thoughts on others?
    Dr Caloundra!! Apparently he's one of the best and is highly regarded in the field, as for his bedside manner and views on natural birth I'm not sure, but in an emergency thats who you want.
    Dr How was the one I was thinking of in my last post, I was given his number and he came recommended.
    The other thing you could do is call some other ob's and see if they'll deliver you there publicly. But there is also the midwife care at Werribee which gives you the same continuaty of care as an ob, you don't technically need an ob, there is no garauntee they'll be at the delivery, and if there is an emergency, those ob's you'd otherwise pay for will be there anyway?

Sorry couldn't be more of a help. Good Luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I've just had my little boy. I used Dr Sahhar who is in Altona, and would highly recommend him. He is a very calm and reassuring Ob with many years experience, he coincidentaly delivered my brother in law who is now 26...a little expensive but worth it. He didn't make it to the birth but the midwifes at Werribee mercy were excellent. I could not fault the hospital, I went in as a public patient with a private OB and ended up in a private room for the durtation of my stay. Feel free to email any questions.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Finding an Obstetrician around Melbournes Western Suburbs

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone can recommend a good Obstetrician around Melbournes Western Suburbs, who have assisted people with there pregnancies.