+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pcos + oi + iui

Hello, My name is Nikita, i am a 24 year old female and i have been with my husband Matt for almost 9 years and married for one year, he is 27. I would like to share my infertility story with everyone because it may help someone out there in some way or someone may be able to give me some advice that maybe i havnt thought of! My husband and i have been having unprotected intercourse now for around 5 years, i have always had irregular periods but also started to notice some facial hair growing longer than usual, acne, weight gain and the occasional heavy/painful period. I saw a local Dr about it all and she ordered an ultrasound for me and it confirmed that i had PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) also confirmed with some blood tests that she ordered. So she sent me to see an Endocrinologist, who was quite dodgy and didnt really take me seriously same as my last Gynaecologist who instantly stated that i needed to have IVF straight away instead of trying anything else after sending me for blood tests and a semen analysis for Matt, the semen analysis came back that stating that Matt had 120 million sperm but they were slow swimmers! This all happened over the course of the 5 years and i honestly never thought that i would find anyone decent who wanted to actually help me and hear my story, all i wanted was for someone to take me seriously!

So i was all ready to go and see a naturopath who a good friend of mine put me onto when the opportunity came up for my Husband and I to move to QLD (from NSW) as there was a good job here for my husband and as i am an Aged Care Nurse its not hard for me to find a job! So we moved to QLD in December 2009 and once we were settled in and i was also working i started hunting the internet searching for a Gynaecologist and one who had a good reputation and had good people/listening skills, thats when i heard an add on my local radio station for City Fertility in Brisbane, it said that they had a good reputation and could guarentee an appointment within 10 working days, so i came home and searched them on the internet and phoned them that very day, So they made me an appointment for the 24th of March 2010 with Dr Ashish Das.

The day i met him i knew that he was the one who could help me, he was very positive, listened to everything i had to say, he ordered tests for me and Matt and made a very bold statement saying that he would have me pregnant by the end of the year! So i went off and had blood tests done to check my sugar levels (due to PCOS) and also hormone levels, i had to have a HSG (Hysterosalpingogram) done, this is where they insert a thin catheter into your uterus, blow up a small balloon to open it up and then inject a dye so that it can flow through your fallopian tubes to see if there are any blockages or scars ect, on the day of this test i was very scared that it would hurt and also that the results would be bad! But when i had the test done the ladies that preformed it stated to me that my Uterus was perfect shape and size and also that my fallopian tubes we fine, so that was a relief, the HSG hurt a little bit, similar to a pap smear, and i felt a tiny bit of cramping afterwards, a bit like period pains. Then Matt also had to do another Semen Analysis. I got a letter back from Dr Das stating that he wanted me to see my regular doctor and get a script for Metformin as my sugar levels were too high, i had to take 850mg twice a day! And he also said in the letter that i wasnt very immune to Rubella and advised me to consider having a Rubella shot, but also let me know that this was a live vaccine and that i should not try and get pregnant for a month or so, so in the end i decided not to get the Rubella shot but i did get the Metformin and started on it that same day, it made me feel very sick when i took it and i often needed to take Maxalon (anti nausea medication) with it to stop feeling so sick. So we had all of the tests done and made another appointment with Dr Das for the 4th of June 2010. It was quite a while between appointments due to the tests i had done had to fall on certain days of my cycle!

Soooo, Dr Das stated that Matts specimen was great compared to the one he had done in NSW (maybe thats due to him producing the sample at home and i had to drive it the 40 mins to the collection centre) where as this one was done at the collection centre and tested almost straight away! So it came back that 42% of the sperm was usable for insemination! The plan of attack and all that happened next is below:

20/06/2010 - Started taking the Pill to regulate my next cycle

13/07/2010 - Got my periods, 25 day cycle!

14/07/2010 - Started taking Clomid 50mg twice daily for 5 days on days 2-7 of cycle

21/07/2010 - Dr Das appointment, internal ultrasound, Left ovary produced a 14.6mm follicle, to start daily hormone injections of FSH (follicle stimulating hormone)

23/07/2010 - 1st injection, scared as hell, hate needles, 50 units of Puregon!

24/07/2010 - 50 units of puregon

25/07/2010 - 50 units of puregon

26/07/2010 - 50 units of puregon

27/07/2010 - Dr Das appointment, follicle has grown 0.4mm now at 15mm, 50 units of puregon

28/07/2010 - 50 units of puregon

29/07/2010 - 50units of puregon

30/07/2010 - Dr Das appointment, Follicle still hasnt grown, Dr Das has decided to cancel this cycle & try for my next cycle but on a higher dose of puregon injections!

30/07/2010 - Started taking Primolut tablets to bring on a period within normal cycle length

09/08/2010 - Got my periods, 28 day cycle!

10/08/2010 - 64 units of puregon

11/08/2010 - 64 units of puregon

12/08/2010 - 64 units of puregon

13/08/2010 - 80 units of puregon

14/08/2010 - 80 units of puregon

15/08/2010 - 80 units of puregon

16/08/2010 - Dr Das appointment, 13mm follicle on Right ovary, 96 units of puregon

17/08/2010 - 96 units of puregon

18/08/2010 - 96 units of puregon

19/08/2010 - Dr Das appointment, follicle has grown 1mm now sitting at 14mm, puregon increased, 125 units of puregon

20/08/2010 - 125 units of puregon

21/08/2010 - 125 units of puregon

22/08/2010 - 125 units of puregon

23/08/2010 - Dr Das appointment, follicle hasnt grown, puregon increased, 150 units of puregon

24/08/2010 - 150 units of puregon

25/08/2010 - 150 units of puregon

26/08/2010 - Dr Das appointment, follicle hasnt grown, puregon increased, 200 units of puregon

27/08/2010 - 200 units of puregon

28/08/2010 - 200 units of puregon

29/08/2010 - 200 units of puregon

30/08/2010 - Dr Das appointment, follice has FINALLY grown, sitting at 17mm!!! Needs to be 18mm for IUI (interuterine insemination), lining of uterus perfect!

31/08/2010 - Trigger injection to induce ovulation, IUI tomorrow

01/09/2010 - INSEMINATION DAY HAS ARRIVED, went well, but hurt badly Matt gave specimen, excellent readings 127 million inseminated into my uterus

07/09/2010 - Day 21 Progesterone blood test, results were 16 ovulation confirmation level is 20, Dr Das concerned that i didnt ovulate, now have to wait until 14/09/2010 to take a pregnancy test!

So this is where im at, the 2ww (2 week wait) is bloody awful to say the least, every time i went to see Dr Das my heart was broken when he would say that the follicle hasnt grown! So needless to say i was very happy when i found out that my follicle had grown and that i could actually have an IUI cycle, but then i was shot down again now that it looks as if i havnt ovulated, but this will be confirmed when i have a pregnancy test or if my periods come before hand!

12/09/2010 - Periods arrived now have an appointment for Thurs with Dr Das

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi RBD,

I think alot of people will be able to relate to your story!! Here is some for you. I hope next month brings with it your most awaited

Stay positive. You have found yourself a good FS and that is a great start!

Best of luck and keep us updated on your story!

Vidya

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou Vidya for your comment. I went back to my Dr today, its cycle day 5, i didnt have a scan today due to my cycle day, Dr and i decided to try OI & IUI again, started on Puregon injections again tonight at 100 units, need to have these tonight, friday, saturday and sunday, then a higher dose of 125 units on Monday night then go for a scan on Tuesday morning to hopefully see some well ripening follicles Dr said that i may have even ovulated last cycle as my periods came when they shouldve done if id ovulated and also that my blood tests may have missed my ovulation or my hormone levels were still rising, he said that it is hard to pin point the exact moment that it will happen and that my PCOS also makes things harder to predict. He also recommended that i organise private health insurance as he said his "gut feeling" is that i may need some more help....i didnt have the guts myself to ask him if this means IVF.....but by Tuesdays appointment i will be able to ask him im sure! But like he said, i cant claim on it for 12 months from when i take out the policy so that gives us plenty of time to try! I also asked him if i wasnt going to ovulate over the next cycle or 2 if a Laparoscopy would be of any help to me as i had read that it helped people with/without PCOS to ovulate, he said that we will just wait and see how i go over the next couple of months and that maybe he will do Laparoscopic Ovarian Drilling on my Ovaries! But its all up in limbo at the moment, and once again we will just have to wait and see!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey RBD,

If you ovulated then that sounds like a big positive ot me!!

I think you only get three repeats of puregon (3 vials each time) - therefore 9 vials in total) under the PBS. After that you have to pay whole amount or something. That is what my pharmacist told me Maybe that is why your FS wanted you to take out insurance??

I hope things work out for you soon!!! I once asked my FS if I should be worried. He said, "There is no reason to think that you guys won't have children. It is our job to work out what is the best way we can help you to make that happen." Somehow I found that very consoling.

for now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im not actually sure how many you are allowed before you have to pay for it, i know all of the vials that ive gotten so far have been included in my OI & IUI cycle fees and it all depends on the codes that the fertility centre puts down as to what it costs, but all of mine so far have been paid for by medicare. Are you in Australia?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes - NSW. My FC asked me to buy the injections. We are only doing OI - not IUI. I think IUI covers the cost of injections as well.

My pharmacist was telling me that I can get it at the reduced rate (~$22) for the first three times. Hopefully I won't need that many repeats!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh ok, that makes sense then if only IUI covers the cost of the injections! Im in QLD by the way. And yes fingers crossed that you will only need one lot of the injections

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there

I am also currently seeing Dr Das. He is very good. Nikita Just wanted to know if you had success with the IUI? I am in the process of trying IUI.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck on your journey ladies and heaps of baby dustI'm so glad I read this, and I just checked the fertility centre Brisbane website and my gyno/ob I'm seeing is one of the doctors at the Sunnybank one. I knew he was good and so happy now I read that!!