+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default TTC with PMDD? (Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder)

I finally went to the doctor today after a few months of really terrible depression and mood swings that seemed related to my periods/cycles and she seems pretty sure I have premenstrual dysphoric disorder.

My problem is I'm TTC #2 and have been trying for almost 2 years now and I'm already having trouble trying not to get stressed about TTC without PMDD on top of that. When the PMDD hits me, I feel like giving up TTC and even like I couldn't possibly cope with having another baby but as soon as it passes, I'm back to desperately wanting another baby and wondering how I could feel so bad that I wanted to stop trying.

Is anyone else dealing with PMDD and TTC?? How are you coping with it? My doctor has suggested to start with trying B vitamins and evening primrose oil and see if that helps. I have taken the B vitamins a little bit over the past few months but not very diligently so I'm not sure if they'll help or not.

I just don't know how much longer I can cope with the severe depression...it totally makes me useless for the couple of weeks which is really hard when you have a toddler and husband to look after.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did you ever have any luck ttc?

Sent from my DROIDX using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did! I'm actually breastfeeding my new little bubba right now! :-) He will be 8 weeks old on Monday and I fell pregnant around Feb last year...about 5 months after my post above.

Was a bit of a tough journey up to that point and I actually first suspected I was pregnant because the depression and anxiety was starting for that month and one morning I felt my mood change and improve considerably within the space of about a minute. It was so unusual, sudden and noticeable that I wondered if I may have fallen pregnant and when my period didn't start over the next couple of weeks and I continued to feel better than I had in months, I did a test and discovered I was pregnant. That then started an anxious few weeks waiting to see if the pregnancy was viable cause I had caught it so early that my HCG levels were incredibly low and rose a bit slower than expected. But here I am now with a beautiful, perfect little boy.

Everything I've gone through since the PMDD started in May 2010 did take a big toll on me though and we decided to stop at 2 kids where we had previously wanted and planned to have 4-5. So far the PMDD hasn't come back but I'm only 7.5 weeks post partum and it didn't start until 23 months after DS1 was born so I will have to wait and see.

I actually started seeing a naturopath a couple of months before I conceived DS2 and he said that my hormones were totally out of whack and was working on balancing that so I'm not too sure if that had started to work already and helped. I ended up at the naturopath because the only help my GP could give me while TTC was to go on the pill (which was pointless when TTC) or ending up on hormone therapy of some sort which also meant I had to stop TTC. So I felt I was out of options for help if I wanted to keep trying to conceive. I actually ended up getting a prescription for the pill and was about to stop trying cause I desperately needed a break from the depression and anxiety but thankfully then changed my mind and never started and fell pregnant the following month.

Thanks for asking how I went and sorry for the thesis reply. Is there any particular reason you asked?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was just curious. Ive never had a hard time conceiving. In fact, ive had a hard time not conceiving. But im surprised we have been having unprotected sex (tmi- withdraw method) for over two years and nothing has happened. Coincidentally, just as long as PMDD has been affecting my life. My mother had pmdd too but doesnt talk about it or like to admit It. My sister thinks shes the "normal one" but clearly has it too, just milder than me. I know it generally gets worse w each pregnancy so that makes sense. Ive been preg seven times. Two kids, one sleeping angel, three miscarriages, one abortion. After the seventh (the abortion)... Pmdd came out full blown and life hasnt been the same since. My sister got preg immediately after going off bc w her son six yrs ago. But now shes been ttc for over two yrs w no luck but two miscarriages. Ive noticed on messafe boards for pmdd that fertility and conception problems seem really common. We cant financially have a kid yet but it always terrifies me we wont be able to once we can

Thanks
    Reviews
    And on another note... I finally found a holistic dr near me. Is that the same as nauropath? I am considering going to her. Did u ever have ur hormone panels run by a reg gp before going to nauropath? I have and they said theyre normal. However, my thyroid was elevated both times they tested (t3). But since my tsh was within normal range (even tho it was on the really low end of the range) the reg drs will not treat my thyroid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope that when you are ready you won't have trouble conceiving!! It's so stressful and emotional when it doesn't happen. Took 1 yr for DS1 and then 2.5yrs for DS2 which is why I ended up at the naturopath.

About the holistic dr, it sounds like that might be similar to a naturopath. My naturopath looked at diet, vitamins, minerals and herbs to help with problems. I can't actually remember whether I had my hormones checked by my gp. I had blood tests but can't remember what they were for...something to do with my hormones rings a bell though. My naturopath thought my hormones were out of whack based on my symptoms, history and his observations like checking my eyes etc. Would be interesting to see what would come up if I did get my gp to check.