Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Question Approximate costing and rebates.

I went off the pill 4th Dec 2009 and had my withdrawal bleed and then a 68 day anovulatory cycle. I am now at CD 180 of my second cycle and have been getting accupuncture and on homeopathic drops without success. I am seriously considering medical fertility treatment next, but need to save for it and know a rough estimate of what the plan of action would be and how much out of pocket this would cost.

I have PHI but I know this only covers for in hospital stuff like EPU, lap, etc.
    I am guessing I would be given provera and then clomid for a few cycles....

If that didn't work, what comes next? I have undiagnosed PCOS (everything indicates, just haven't had the ultrasound to see how many follies are there).

Please help as I don't want to make an appointment until I have money saved as once I see a FS I dont want to look back and I dont want to have to go, well gee thanks, see you in a year when I can afford it.

Default PCOS /costs

Hi Brogeybear,

You are right that the most likely reason for your long cycles is PCOS. There are other causes however ( eg thyroid disorders, small non-cancerous prolactin secreting tumors in the brain) so it would be a good idea to be seen by an FS to make sure of the diagnosis. An ultrasound scan in the rooms on the day of your first visit should be all you require to diagnose PCOS given your irregular cycles. If you were to take the fertility drug "clomiphene" you would require at least one further visit and ultrasound scan to check the number of developing follicles, but you could elect to have "timed sexual intercourse TSI" at home which would save you the costs of "intrauterine insemination IUI". The costs may not be greater than a few hundred dollars ( for visits and scans) and if everything else is working well ( sperm, tubes etc) you may fall pregnancy extremely quickly once you are actually ovulating.
    Good luck
    Dr Jessup