User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Toilet Training and Stuttering

I tried to toilet train my 2 year and 10 month old daughter and she started stuttering really badly (She was quite a good talker before, my GP even commented how well she was talking a couple of weeks before I started). I took her back to my GP and she said to stop toilet training cause she isn't ready. She was getting really upset by the stuttering as well. Once the nappies went back on she stopped stuttering!

I have just started again, she is now 2 years and 11 months, and she has started stuttering again. If she has no pants on she runs to the potty every time, but when she has pants on she has accidents. She doesn't like wearing undies, I have to bribe her to wear them, she always says that she wants a nappy.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Should I just keep her in nappies until she tells me she wants to wear undies? She gets so upset when she stutters.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like she is anxious about TT.
    I hope someone will be along soon with some advice.
    Mumma & Daddy

two beautiful boys and a gorgeous girl

We are so lucky to have you

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would definately keep her as comfortable as possible .. anxiety can be rife in young kids and you dont want to make it any worse.. I stuttered as a child and it was terrible.. thankfully I outgrew it... Just dont push her, that would be my advise
    1+1 = 1

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys. Yeah I don't want to push her, that is why we stopped when she started stuttering last time. I have never made it a negative thing or punished her when she had an accident. I think that she just wasn't ready. This time around she is doing SO much better, little to no stuttering and she does wees and poos on the potty. Last night after we put her to bed she actually got up and said she needed to do a wee and a poo and wanted to take the nappy off, and she did! I think that she just wasn't ready the first time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awww, to your DD, I am not a fan of TT until they can communicate very well and understand what the toilet is for, most of my kids haven't been fully trained until they all were very close to their 4th b/dayatm I have an autistic son who is 4 and a half and still wears a nappy to bed, your dd will be ok she will get used to the idea soon I;m sure

Gothel is online now Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    dd1 is 2y11m and we are also struggling with tt fears, tho she is afraid of poos on the loo and every time she has a wee accident, insists on going back into nappies.

I have just started using nappy pants, it takes away some of her fear of accidents, and she asks me for a nappy when she is going to poo.

Do you think nappy pants would help your dd, she might feel a little less nervous in them than in knickers? DD1 has always resisted being put on the loo but yesterday and today, since we started using nappy pants, she is much happier to sit on the loo. We have had two accidents and she wasn't bothered by it at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried the nappy pants and she just used them like a nappy, she didn't care about going in them. What I did this time was go to the library and get some picture books about TT which seems to be working perfectly. There was one that my SIL bought her which has a little girl in it and it shows her going to the toilet and having an accident, it has a little flush button that you press and it makes a noise. I have been trying to find it so that I can tell you the name of it but it seems to have vanished. She got it from Big W and it has been the best book I have found so far. When I find it I will post the name of the book and author on here.

For the last couple of days she has just been wearing undies during the day and nappies at night. This morning she said she did a wee in her nappy when she first woke up, I told her that was ok and thanks for telling me, she then told me that it was playtime and it was time to take her nappy off. She then took it off herself and it was dry! So daddy took her to the toilet and she did a wee.

I have also been asking her to go to the toilet before we go out, and when we get home. Today I had to do food shopping and took her into the toilet at the shops before we started shopping (we had already been out for a while) and she did a wee at the shops for the first time