+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by almfam37 View Post
    What a great thread!!! I am not doing this at the moment but my son has been showing alot of ADHD symptoms the doctors wanted me to see a pediatrician so he could assess him but to be honest i havent taken him because i dont want him on tablets, i am wanting to try working with him myself and also eliminating additives from his food. I need to do alot more research before i begin as i really know nothing about this yet but i feel much more supported now and at least have some links i can go have a look at

thanks ladies
    good on you for trying the diet option first . the amount of difference i've seen in kids who change their diet after an almost ADHD diagnosis is amazing! its definitely worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by LNRM4 View Post
    We use Mighty Mite.
    where abouts do you find this mighty mite?

Quote Originally Posted by wild at heart View Post
    i am keen to hear about the food/ asthma or eczsema connection, as it is a major thing for ds1 and i'm sure it effects his sleep and general behaviour.
    i used to have asthma on and off. Since removing additives and preservatives i have had no problems . If it affects medical conditions then it definitely affects sleep and behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by wild at heart View Post
    we are going well with our eating.. since taking away lost of additives, ds1 has been having a sleep in the daytime.. how awesome!
    thats a great improvement!

Quote Originally Posted by genegeenie View Post
    I am feeling overwhelmed! So many foods to avoid, and as he is now sick I feel like his diet is inadequate.

It's also so hard to avoid these foods in day to day living... my mum thinks I am 'overanalysing' and tomorrow we are off to a kiddy gathering; will be full of no-no stuff.

Will perservere - his behaviour is definitely better (apart from two crazy withdrawal days), but this is no walk in the park is it.
    maybe make something special for him that is safe for him to eat and take it along?
    it does get hard when you have to say no. And it can take a while for relatives and friends to accept the diet. We've been additive and preservative free for two years and my MIL has only just figured it out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    bumping for the new additive free ppl

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump. Anyone got any tips?

My son has CMPI and I have just found out he is very sensitive to preservatives, additives, sunflower oil, sheep and goats milk and products, oats, buckwheat, coconuts, almonds, celery, vegemite, mayonnaise, chick peas, Lima beans and a few other things.

Im seriously at a loss as where to start reek

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumwannabe View Post

My son has CMPI and I have just found out he is very sensitive to preservatives, additives, sunflower oil, sheep and goats milk and products, oats, buckwheat, coconuts, almonds, celery, vegemite, mayonnaise, chick peas, Lima beans and a few other things.

Wow, that's a lot to deal with!

DD2 (8.5yrs) is CMPI and couldn't even tollerate things like biscuits with milk in them when she was little. She can now though. She can't have any dairy except for the occassional piece of cheese. She can't have a margarine/butter spread that contains dairy day to day without having a reaction. She has nuttelex but that has sunflower oil in it.

Where have you started?

Mayonnaise and vegemite would fall under additives. I just checked DH's mayonnaise and it has sunflower oil in it (not sure if they all do though) along with "colours & flavours" which can mean absolutely anything. There is msg/processed free glutimate in in vegemite. Ummm from memory it has yeast extract, malt extract and flavours. Yeast extract always contains msg and malt extract and flavours can both also contain msg.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumwannabe View Post

I hope you like to cook!
    The best thing is to buy additive alert ( book by Julie Eady ) so you can identify which products contain the nasty additives and preservatives but really just cut out all packet and jarred food and obviously dairy, what meals does your son like and try and duplicate them with healthy substitutes
    a few starting tips;

Make your own sauces/spices/pizza bases and pasta and cakes/cookies
    Buy organic breads
    Use avocado instead of butter
    If no allergy buy organic peanut butter
    Cut out all processed meat ( no ham/bacon/deli meats etc )
    Try quinoa or rice milks
    Only drink water, or plain mineral water
    Avoid any product with yeast (MSG)
    Avoid all processed/ take a way food
    Avoid dried fruit unless organic

Check all labels on everything you buy and go and check out your local organic shop

Thanks
    Reviews

Default new mobile phone app to help avoid food additives

Hi everyone

I’ve designed a mobile phone app called the Additive Detective to help people avoid food additives. You use the app to scan the barcode of any product, then it tells you if it contains any nasty additives and gives you a list of additive free alternatives. I have just launched the idea on Pozible, a crowdfunding website, to raise money to get the app built. It would be great if you could take a look at the embarrassing, but hopefully funny, video I created to explain how the app works and share it on your facebook wall. The more people who visit the idea at www.pozible.com/additives, the better.

Cheers,
    Cherie Allardice