+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 70 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks EG, the storch is very comfy I discovered HSBC (high structured back carry) and it's great, rucksack gives me numb arms! I hope you get the 2nd trimester energy soon, if you see it send some my way too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Welcome to those new to the thread

Congrats to DramaQueen and ManekiNeko Homebirth certainly does rock!
    So is everyone making their plans to homebirth publicly known to family and friends?
    Well, because I had J at home, most people assume we will do it again. Most people are supportive (probably because I am so stubborn and there is no changing my mind when my heart is set not to mention I know my stuff and experienced the best birth after 3 that were not). I know my MIL and Mum do not agree with me but support me enough not to say much. My husband is very supportive and that to me is the most important to me, all that really matters.
    I didn't really talk about my plans with anyone in J's pregnancy. Its really isn't anyone's business.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone..I didn't post in here a huge amount, but I thought I'd just let you all know that I gave birth to my daughter, Piper on 3 March. We ended up transfering in the end...LONG labour, posterior babe who just did not want to come out..but still a positive and empowering birth. We are doing really well, she is BF'ing like a champion and LOVES sleeping at night time (which I love too). Here's her birth story:

The birth of Piper

Piper Ann was born on Thursday 3rd March at 3.30am. Not quite as planned but still lovely. I went into labour at just gone midnight on Wednesday 2nd. Contractions were always really close together between 2 mins and 5 mins, but totally bearable. Even managed to do housework between 4am and 7am once I realised I wasn't going to be getting any sleep.

It all picked up around 7.30am when I told my birth support person that I was in labour, told her to go to work, then rang back 10 mins later to tell her to come around. Called MW and told her I was in labour about 9am ish, but that I was fine and I'd keep her posted.

It all amped up a bit and got MW round at about 10.30am. I had had a couple of spews by then and was moaning through irregular but frequent contractions. Got the birth pool filled up. MW said I was progressing nicely, cervix at 4cm so she left us to it for a bit. Next few hours a bit blurry, lots of moaning, got in the shower for a bit with the fit ball - that was good, then the pool for a bit. Tried to keep hydrated with Electrolytes and Coconut water but kept throwing everything up. Got MW back over at about 3pm as was feeling pretty full on. Laboured for the next couple of hours, until I felt it was just all too much, rolling contractions one on top of each other but still not very regular...felt very out of control and was hoping this was transition. MW was concerned at how dehydrated I was because of the vomiting. She did a VE with my permission and was only 6cm, cervix still thick, babe posterior and really high, she just did not want to come down. MW was very honest and said that I would most likely be labouring for many more hours to come.

In light of how much pain I was in and the dehydration, which wasn't helping dialation one bit, we transferred to KEMH. That was the worst car ride EVER, in peak hour traffic from Guildford to Subiaco at 5.30pm - its the only time I have ever encouraged crazy driving, going through orange lights and driving down the emergency lane through the Graham Farmer Freeway Well it wasn't an emergency, but sitting in the car contracting every couple of mins was NOT FUN!!!!!

At KEMH I got an epidural and hooked up to fluids...my MW was awesome and was still able to practice as my MW at KEMH. Apparently the hospy staff were talking C-section when I came in and she said I would NOT be having a C...she knew I would have been devastated if that had happened. I laboured for another 8 hours and baby's heart rate was lovely and regular the whole time. My MW went home after a couple of hours as otherwise she would have reached her 12 hours, so that she could come back for the birth. She got the hospital to call her at 1.30am, when I was nearly 10cm dialated.

I then pushed Piper out in some serious hard work in just over an hour...it was the BEST feeling and such a sense of achievement when she finally crowned (which I felt several times), then slithered out.

We got lots of lovely skin on skin and she breastfed for about 45mins straight away. At about 7am we went up to the ward...I had something to eat and we bonded for the rest of the day. I asked to go home asap and we left at 5pm that day.

So, not quite my planned homebirth, but happy with what happened in the long run, and given the dehydration and vomiting and length of the labour, I don't think I could have done anything any differently. I do feel a little grief over the birth I wanted and didn't get and have shed a few tears over all the birthing affirmations I wrote, decorated and stuck to the wall in the nursery, but I loved birthing so much that I don't think I can only have one baby, so hopefully I'll get a lovely easy homebirth next time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Leelee: Congrats on baby Piper. Beautiful name
    Sounds like you had the best birth you could on the day. Well done for getting that bub out. Sounds like baby worked with you to give you the time you needed. Hope early parenting is going smoothly for you.

AFM: officially booked in to have a HBAC today with my h/b gp. Feels really exciting and scarey and amazing all at once.

Looking for a great m/w in Melbourne. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello homebirthers

My name is Emily and I just got my BFP 2 days ago, still waiting for the blood test results, the wait is killing me. Going to the GP tomorrow for results. My lovely GP hugged me when I told him the news definately helped to make me start feeling excited about this life changing journey.

I think I am 5 weeks + 1 day. I live in Adelaide, I am a midwifery student, our baby is a surprise and I am planning on birthing at home, though I have not commited to anything yet or started the search for a midwife.

I do not want to find out the sex. Since baby started as a surprise we may as well keep it that way

I haven't told my family yet. I am thinking telling the grandparents on easter, maybe with a easter egg hunt or something - any ideas for clues? I am not very creative. And Waiting until atleast 12 weeks to tell friends. However, I really would love to tell family and friends with a photo of the ultrasound, but I don't think I would have had one by easter..when I will be 8 weeks, as I want to have as little as possible as I am not 100% on the safety of US.

Does anyone have good information about the best times to get an ulstrasound?? I am concerned about the heat on brain development if anyone has information about that would be much appreciated.

Much love and all the best to all of you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thermo(what is your prefered nickname btw ) when I find it I'll send you some
    congrats Leelee welcome Piper

Tatiana yay for booking your HBAC

welcome Emily not much I can help you with about scans, I know many women feel they are unsafe/not needed but not too sure on specifics. I chose the morphology 18-22 week scan to check on placenta positioning, and make sure there were no major health concerns with bub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does anyone in Adelaide know where I can get some baby shower decorations??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello everyone! And welcome to newbies (great name, Emily ) and big congrats to everyone who welcomed their little bubs to the world!

I just had to share - I had my hospital clinic appointment yesterday - they got all the info from NZ about my pelvis and have given my homebirth the go ahead, the doctor even said I don't have to come back to the hospital again and she hopes not to see me!

I was also pleased that DP came with me, as he saw the contrast between the hospital staff and my IM and I think he feels much more understanding of my desire to homebirth now, which is awesome.

So the homebirth is go! It's all feeling so much more real now, especially as I'm over halfway and feeling my little girl move all the time - very exciting!
    Last edited by changethestars; 06-04-2011 at 16:02. Reason: more info

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am pretty sure I have found my midwife

Spent almost an hour on the phone to her the other night, felt very comfortable to talk to her, and she was so positive and passionate.

We are meeting her on Monday night!

so excited, I want the weekend to hurry up!

Thanks
    Reviews
    great news emily and changethestars!

wish I knew the dancing smiley code on my phone haha

where is everyone? Hope all is well

I have just been contemplating what I want for this birth, feeling more and more like I want it super private. I think if I lived as close as I used to to a hospital I would freebirth but we are just soo far away in case of an emergency.