+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 71 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 704
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    205
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    4
    Reviews
    0
    Hi, I'd love to join in as I don't think any mums on my 'when are you due' thread are homebirthing, so it's nice to chat to others who are.

    I'm 16 weeks today, so will be having bub smack bang in the middle of the hottest month of the year oh well....

    This is bub number 1 and am very excited to be planning a home birth. I'm in Perth so am lucky to be going through the awesome Community Midwifery Program making it all free. The whole collaborative agreement thing sounds like one big headache - just a way for obs to stay in control of course.

    One of my friends who recently had a home birth recommended reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. She thought it was the single most helpful book for her. I've borrowed from the Midwifery Program's library so am looking forward to a good read.

    Anyone else here from out West?

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,520
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    6
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLee19 View Post
    Hi, I'd love to join in as I don't think any mums on my 'when are you due' thread are homebirthing, so it's nice to chat to others who are.

    I'm 16 weeks today, so will be having bub smack bang in the middle of the hottest month of the year oh well....

    This is bub number 1 and am very excited to be planning a home birth. I'm in Perth so am lucky to be going through the awesome Community Midwifery Program making it all free. The whole collaborative agreement thing sounds like one big headache - just a way for obs to stay in control of course.

    One of my friends who recently had a home birth recommended reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. She thought it was the single most helpful book for her. I've borrowed from the Midwifery Program's library so am looking forward to a good read.

    Anyone else here from out West?

    welcome!!
    Last edited by traseal; 24-01-2011 at 13:09.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,018
    Thanks
    465
    Thanked
    185
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for the recommendation LeeLee -- I'm looking for books to read so I'm gonna give it a go.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    793
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked
    11
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scarymarygoldfish View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation LeeLee -- I'm looking for books to read so I'm gonna give it a go.
    The two books i've heard constantly reccomended are:

    Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth

    and

    Dr Sarah Buckley's 'Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering'

    My midwife is lending me these this week Im really looking forward to reading them

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    305
    Thanked
    311
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've heard Gentle Birth Gentle Mothering and also Birthing from Within - the latter apparently especially good if you've had any kind of trauma in your last birth.

    I could probably borrow them from middy but am thinking of buying them. Will be good to add to the library anyway and Amazon is much cheaper than anywhere here... as usual

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    793
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked
    11
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    some other lovely hubbers mentioned the 'book depository' online (pretty sure thats what it was called). Both the books were a good $10 cheaper on there then in book stores

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    205
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    4
    Reviews
    0
    Great thanks - for more recommended reads, I'll check the local library. The book depository is great, its from the UK but they don't charge postage. They sometimes don't have slightly more obscure books, but its definately worth looking at

    My naturopath recommended reading from Sarah Buckley on ultrasounds - pointing towards evidence that they aren't necessarily great for bub etc...When I had my first appointment with my midwife she offered for me to hear the heartbeat which I accepted as I hadn't heard it yet. It was great, but she reckons bub didn't like it and kicked the doppler and moved away from it - awwwww. So, now I have my mind at rest I don't really feel the need to do it again.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    793
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked
    11
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLee19 View Post
    My naturopath recommended reading from Sarah Buckley on ultrasounds - pointing towards evidence that they aren't necessarily great for bub etc...When I had my first appointment with my midwife she offered for me to hear the heartbeat which I accepted as I hadn't heard it yet. It was great, but she reckons bub didn't like it and kicked the doppler and moved away from it - awwwww. So, now I have my mind at rest I don't really feel the need to do it again.
    yes i've read those articles
    They were one of the reasons we originally decided not to get any ultrasounds (we did end up getting one as our DS has kidney issues and we felt it was important to know if this child had any problems - thankfully he/she doesn't).
    It's amazing what you learn when you get away from the main****** information

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Hobart, Tasmania
    Posts
    5,946
    Thanks
    1,973
    Thanked
    2,080
    Reviews
    16
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ina May is flippin' brilliant! She has some stuff on Youtube too

    Heck, if I could go and birth on her little commune farm, i'd jump at the chance!!

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,018
    Thanks
    465
    Thanked
    185
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've just finished 'Birthing From Within'. Wonderful, wonderful book but I'm such an emotional wreck at the moment I can't read a chapter without crying. how funny! I found her comments on making noise during the delivery particularly comforting -- I had this warped fixation on labouring in silence to show how strong I am. What an idiot!! I can't wait for hubby to read it because it doesn't seem to gloss over the labouring process at all. And the exercises to practice pain tolerence (holding ice cubes for 60 second 'contractions') seem like a great idea! Can't wait to try them.

    I hope everyone had a great weekend. The days are warming up nicely and getting lovely and long too!!


 

Similar Threads

  1. Roll Call...
    By ~J'dore~ in forum Home Schooling
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 23-02-2016, 09:45
  2. Vic Suburb roll call!
    By Milliner in forum Melbourne
    Replies: 298
    Last Post: 10-06-2012, 20:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Tambo Teddies
Visit our online store and select your individually handmade natural sheepskin teddy bear. Our soft and loveable bears come in a range of styles and colours. Created in Outback Queensland each bear is unique individual. 100% Australian made!
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Heinz Baby Basics
Our BPA Free range offers you a choice for every stage of your baby’s feeding development. You’ll love our brilliant colours, inspired designs and innovative features. Heinz Baby Basics caters for your baby’s needs!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!