+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 71 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I'd love to join in as I don't think any mums on my 'when are you due' thread are homebirthing, so it's nice to chat to others who are.

I'm 16 weeks today, so will be having bub smack bang in the middle of the hottest month of the year oh well....

This is bub number 1 and am very excited to be planning a home birth. I'm in Perth so am lucky to be going through the awesome Community Midwifery Program making it all free. The whole collaborative agreement thing sounds like one big headache - just a way for obs to stay in control of course.

One of my friends who recently had a home birth recommended reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. She thought it was the single most helpful book for her. I've borrowed from the Midwifery Program's library so am looking forward to a good read.

Anyone else here from out West?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLee19 View Post
    Hi, I'd love to join in as I don't think any mums on my 'when are you due' thread are homebirthing, so it's nice to chat to others who are.

I'm 16 weeks today, so will be having bub smack bang in the middle of the hottest month of the year oh well....

This is bub number 1 and am very excited to be planning a home birth. I'm in Perth so am lucky to be going through the awesome Community Midwifery Program making it all free. The whole collaborative agreement thing sounds like one big headache - just a way for obs to stay in control of course.

One of my friends who recently had a home birth recommended reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. She thought it was the single most helpful book for her. I've borrowed from the Midwifery Program's library so am looking forward to a good read.

Anyone else here from out West?

welcome!!
    Last edited by traseal; 24-01-2011 at 13:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the recommendation LeeLee -- I'm looking for books to read so I'm gonna give it a go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by scarymarygoldfish View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation LeeLee -- I'm looking for books to read so I'm gonna give it a go.
    The two books i've heard constantly reccomended are:

Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth

and

Dr Sarah Buckley's 'Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering'

My midwife is lending me these this week Im really looking forward to reading them

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've heard Gentle Birth Gentle Mothering and also Birthing from Within - the latter apparently especially good if you've had any kind of trauma in your last birth.

I could probably borrow them from middy but am thinking of buying them. Will be good to add to the library anyway and Amazon is much cheaper than anywhere here... as usual

Thanks
    Reviews
    some other lovely hubbers mentioned the 'book depository' online (pretty sure thats what it was called). Both the books were a good $10 cheaper on there then in book stores

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great thanks - for more recommended reads, I'll check the local library. The book depository is great, its from the UK but they don't charge postage. They sometimes don't have slightly more obscure books, but its definately worth looking at

My naturopath recommended reading from Sarah Buckley on ultrasounds - pointing towards evidence that they aren't necessarily great for bub etc...When I had my first appointment with my midwife she offered for me to hear the heartbeat which I accepted as I hadn't heard it yet. It was great, but she reckons bub didn't like it and kicked the doppler and moved away from it - awwwww. So, now I have my mind at rest I don't really feel the need to do it again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLee19 View Post
    My naturopath recommended reading from Sarah Buckley on ultrasounds - pointing towards evidence that they aren't necessarily great for bub etc...When I had my first appointment with my midwife she offered for me to hear the heartbeat which I accepted as I hadn't heard it yet. It was great, but she reckons bub didn't like it and kicked the doppler and moved away from it - awwwww. So, now I have my mind at rest I don't really feel the need to do it again.
    yes i've read those articles
    They were one of the reasons we originally decided not to get any ultrasounds (we did end up getting one as our DS has kidney issues and we felt it was important to know if this child had any problems - thankfully he/she doesn't).
    It's amazing what you learn when you get away from the main****** information

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ina May is flippin' brilliant! She has some stuff on Youtube too

Heck, if I could go and birth on her little commune farm, i'd jump at the chance!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just finished 'Birthing From Within'. Wonderful, wonderful book but I'm such an emotional wreck at the moment I can't read a chapter without crying. how funny! I found her comments on making noise during the delivery particularly comforting -- I had this warped fixation on labouring in silence to show how strong I am. What an idiot!! I can't wait for hubby to read it because it doesn't seem to gloss over the labouring process at all. And the exercises to practice pain tolerence (holding ice cubes for 60 second 'contractions') seem like a great idea! Can't wait to try them.

I hope everyone had a great weekend. The days are warming up nicely and getting lovely and long too!!