+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 70 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Deany as Trasael said - not illegal but Independent Midwives will have to change how they practice if they wish to continue. 'Higher risk' birthing women will have to accept full responsibility for their birthing decision if they birth at home (kind of like freebirthing with a birth attendant as some women are already doing). But that's not really all that different to the current situation with the lack of insurance. I think most IMs have you sign a waver stating that you understand they are not covered. It may also be harder for them to continue with you (in a professional capacity as a midwife) if you need transfer in.

Kymmy - isn't it so beautiful when you first feel your baby move . Each wriggle still makes me smile inside.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey everyone it's quiet in here lately! How are you all going? Who else is sick of this constant rain? DD is so bored being stuck at home and so am I.

Did most of my christmas shopping yesterday Only bought DD a few things but as we're planning xmas day at our house, everything we needed to get really added up and ended up spending much more than we should have We walked around the shopping centre for about 5 hours, it was crazy, and I was absolutely exhausted last night.

Also woke up today to a HUGE blob of mucus plug Starting to feel like I probably won't go very far past my due date & I can't wait to meet bub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ceres,

5 hours - wow - I don't think I would even be capable. Would definately exhaust me .

for your plug. it is a sign.

It has been quiet. What's everyone up to?

AFM Had my middy appt this morning. I'm on weekly now. Was really nice to have a good chat - I think I'm nearly ready now. Have been frantically cleaning, washing, gathering, cooking. I just really need to have it all done asap.

My IMs left my house at 9.30 pm last Thursday after birthplan meeting, to attend a birth and have attended three more births since. Busy busy. they get at least a couple more in before .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Hi everyone

Haven't been in here for a while Hope everyone is travelling well.

I had a midwife appointment at the hospital today and I have to wonder why I do it to myself I am trying to save some $$$ off the cost of the IM by having reduced visits, and utilising the hospy midwife program, but seriously I wonder if its worth it.

The midwife herself was great, really listened and let me vent off steam about the whole system, but at the end of the day she is just one of them. She doesn't agree with ANY of the new policies brought in by my local hospy and pretty much said they were all a load of crappola BUT we have to follow them anyway

She is just trying to do her job and feed her family I know that, its not her fault.

Then she took my BP and says "Oh its a bit higher today" NO sh!t sherlock

Sorry, rant over

Why must homebirth be sooooo expensive

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all!!

I had my second appointment with my midwife yesterday. All went well, bubs heartbeat was so loud through the doppler! It was so cool.
    According to the 5 weeks scan I had, I am now 15w 4days, however according to the 12 week scan I am 16w 4 days. I guess when it comes to the crunch it doesn't really matter how far I am, baby will come when s/he is ready.
    I have my morph scan on the 21st of december, and as much as I don't want to, we are finding out babys gender. My two daughters are going to be at the scan, which leads me into a question for you all! I have been arguing with various family members about having the girls in the house while giving birth. They will be 6 and 10, and I think it's perfectly fine for them to stay here if they want to. They don't have to be in the birthing room with me, if they want to sit in their bedroom the whole time watching a movie I don't care. If they get to the point where they decide they don't want to be in the house, I can organise a friend to take them for a drive or something.
    What do you guys think?

Aya - My midwife has worked out a payment scheme with me, is there any chance you could do the same thing??

Spicemum - sounds like you're all ready to go!

Ceres - fingers crossed...can't wait to hear another exciting birth story

Mary - still waiting for the birth story!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by kiariel View Post
    Aya - My midwife has worked out a payment scheme with me, is there any chance you could do the same thing??
    Yeah she is really good about payment, she has halved her costs for me by seeing me less often, and is prepared to take instalments as I get the BB, but I just feel as though every cent going out is hurting us more and more these days I have no choice though really as if I go to the hospital to birth, I will end up almost 100km away from home with a c/sec, so not an option for me at all

In relation to having your kids at the birth, I had all of mine here last time, except for the youngest (who was 18 months at the time) as he was asleep.

They all handled it really well. They were aged (at the time) 11, 6, 5 and 3. The eldest was a little grossed out (he even said it was the grossest thing he had ever seen in his life ) , but none of them left the room, none of them cryed or was worried at all, well they didn't show it anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kiarial, I'm pretty much planning the same thing with my two 9 and 13. They can be in the house with friends on call if necessary. DS isn't really interested although he's been very attentive to my belly . DD has been less interested in the actual pregnancy but is curious about the birth. She doesn't know whether she wants to be involved or not but happily sat through birth plan meeting.

Aya, it's such a shame that being rural means less options available. I'd love to get out of Melbourne but the convenience is probably what's holding us here.
    How long do the hospy midwives take with you. Maybe your IM could cut her time in half each visit and charge you a little less for each. Or maybe you could just see her less often and call her if you are concerned about anything. My IM's tend to see second timers less often. I think a lot of the FBers don't see anyone at all.
    At least your IM's will deal with your concerns and not try to put extra worries on you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by traseal; 24-01-2011 at 13:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    traseal - She is charging me half, so $2k instead of $4k. Extra monitoring I am not really concerned about as I feel well within myself. Bub is active and doing everything he should be etc.

I have roughly 13 weeks to go and will see the IM two times in that timeframe so I am happy with that

Thanks
    Reviews
    spicemum - woah three births, they have been busy! I remember Mal telling me when I first spoke to her in june that december was going to be a busy month for them. Ohh sounds like nesting! Are you going to make any meals to keep in the freezer for after bub is born? I keep reminding myself to cook up a big casserole or something to have on hand.

Aya - I know what you mean, even with the payment plan it is money we really could use too I don't know how you're doing it, just stepping into a hospital I get nervous and I know my BP is probably through the roof. I hope they don't give you too much stress.

kiariel - we found out baby's gender too DF was desperate to know if he was having another little girl, but he is over the moon about having a boy now. Re: your daughters at the birth, I think it would be great for them to be there if they are okay with it, and like you said they can always leave if they get uncomfortable! But I think it would be such an amazing experience for siblings to be there. DD is still only very young, she will be only just over 22 months when I am due, so if I labour during the day we are planning on calling a family member to take her - if it's night time, we'll just leave her sleeping. If she had been older though I would have loved for her to be there. She will definitely grow up learning that babies are meant to be born at home though

traseal - what is it with inlaws? Mine think I am some kind of hippy freak Nothing is said aloud but I can just tell by the little comments... sigh. Hopefully the next 2 weeks fly by for you!

I have another Group B Strep related question: Is anyone planning on doing any natural preventative remedies? I have decided to decline the test, although my midwife mentioned I could take probiotics like yakult and even use garlic pessaries after about 39 weeks - has anyone else heard of doing this/will be doing it?