+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey Chloeandme I'm giving the strep b test a miss this time around with my daughter they tested me once and it was negative and a week later they tested me again and i wa positive. Long story but I didnt ask for the second test but the results had to stick. As far as I know you can have it one day but then not the next so I think it fairly pointless.
    And I'm not sure yet how a positive result works with homebirth yet but with a hospital if your waters break and you don't go into labour within there time frame they induce you which is far more Risky than the strep b
    That's my opinion anyway

Thanks
    Reviews
    ChloeandMe - I'm so glad you settled in with Simone, she seems really sweet. I don't know if I was aware of the picnic. I'll check the date/time and see if I can make it. I think I would be great to connect with other mothers/m's-to-be and maybe put a bigger than thumbnail face to your name.
    As far as strep b goes - I have no idea - I think I will just listen to the midwives and take what they say on board then do some of my own research.
    I've already declined prophylactic rhesus d - not on advice but based on literature they sent me to online. Mostly only a risk if I have another bub but I'm not sure about being too anti-main******.
    It's more about doing the best we can do for ourselves I think rather than being scared into things or alteratively being guinea pigs for the alternative.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    From my understanding testing for strep B is inaccurate as it can come and go. So you may have it at 36w but not at birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by traseal; 24-01-2011 at 13:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't want my kids awake and watching the birth. I am hoping they will sleep like last time.
    My daughter is weary of seeing the birth but she may ask to be involved, will see what happens as she will be 11 and if helpful I don't mind so much. Just don't want anyone watching or having to worry about how the children are going. That is why I wanted to birth at home to avoid the "observing/watching".

Thanks
    Reviews
    we have had no tests this time around. No bloods, no GD test, no strep B. The only thing we did have was the 20 week ultrasound and this was only because our DS has kidney abnormalities so we wanted to check this bub out (thankfully bubby is fine).
    Many of these tests are completely unreliable and are actually not preformed in many other first world countries (eg: no GD test in the UK).

As for kids at the birth...my DS will be there but we will also have my mum who will be his support person. So if he's bored or upset with the situation then she can take him out or to another room or just distract him. Im happy with this situation as i totally trust her and wont have to be concerned with where he is or if he's ok. i can just focus on the birth

AFM - it's my last day at work tomorrow and i have to say im thankful i picked a date sooner rather then later. my pelvis is still giving me trouble, but really trying not to sit with my legs crossed or bend down with my knees apart is helping. i will be glad to have some time to organise things and finish my studdies.
    i have another midwife appointment on Friday so i'll let you all know how that goes as well.

hope everyone is doing well today

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am not having strep B testing. Just through my own reading/learning etc it seems unnecessary so we won't go there.

traseal your birth atmosphere sounds lovely and intimate. I am strongly considering birthing with just my partner and a doula present, and feel confident to do so. However as it is my first baby, I'm perhaps a little... not exactly worried as such, but mindful, that maybe I am TOO confident... if that makes sense?
    As I have no real idea what I am in for, other than the birthing stories, books and such I have read.. I have no practical experience.
    We'll see what happens I suppose.

Glad to read so many are progressing well and happily. Dreambeliever it must be a great feeling to be finishing up work for the time being. In 8 weeks I follow in your footsteps! Can't wait.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by traseal; 24-01-2011 at 13:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm another one who is giving the group b swab a miss - in short, it's invasive and unreliable. I'm not doing the GD test either.

Hope everyone is well. My m/s is starting to ease up, now I just need my energy back!

Question: Does anyone ever give birth in their own bath tubs? The bath in our new apartment is huge, and my first thought was that I could have the baby in there! Is there any reason the pools are used so much, or it it just a size thing? (I'm assuming most bath tubs are cramped spaces)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    traseal that is what it's heading around to. It's been a natural progression, as we're relocating around the 6/7 month mark of pregnancy, I don't have a care provider organized and because I haven't jumped into finding one, it's been easier to just listen to my body and baby and what they need, IYKWIM? Probably sounds a bit fruity but it's been a lovely experience so far. Thanks for the positive vibes!

Bellini if we had a nice roomy bath or spa size bath in the place we move into, I think I would consider just going with labouring in there, although thinking about it, I can understand why a blow up pool with flexible-ish sides might be more comfortable. The hard sides of a pool can be pretty unforgiving at the best of times, and during labour they would probably end up giving me the sh1ts. Purely personal choice though I think.

Ok, so we're going to go with the La Bassine, I was wondering where people purchased their pools from? Anyone ordered from the Simply Birth website? They seem reasonably priced etc..