• Depends on the park

15 21.74%
  • Almost never

2 2.90%
  • Other

0 0%
  • My child's had an injury from not wearing shoes

0 0%
  • My child hasn't had an injury from not wearing shoes (excuse the confusing double negative!)

14 20.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    if it is a park with nice soft grass etc...then i am happy for shoes off.

If it is tan bark etc ... then shoes on.

I love walking on the grass with bare feet...so refreshing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ComeBackKid View Post
    Shoes always on. I am soooo paranoid about needlestick injuries. I know th risk may be low but if one of my kids got AIDS, oh it would kill me.

So indoor playcentres, maccas playgrounds shoes off - parks etc shoes on.
    It's practically impossible to contract HIV through a needle stick injury as the virus dies within seconds of leaving the body. It's hepititis that's the worry and even that is incredibly unlikely. We spent 3 months stressing about a fresh needle injury with DH. I'm not really worried about old ones but it would be concerning still.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Shoes to and from the park, but most times off at the park - if there is sand, or bark chips, or something to climb.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Shoes on if we venture outside our yard. In fact I need to try and get them boots before we move, thanks for the reminder!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shoes on at the park and even at the beach some days if it is particularly "washed up".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shoes on for sure!
    I hate dirty feet and yes I worry about glass etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ComeBackKid View Post
    Shoes always on. I am soooo paranoid about needlestick injuries. I know th risk may be low but if one of my kids got AIDS, oh it would kill me.

So indoor playcentres, maccas playgrounds shoes off - parks etc shoes on.
    Sorry but you do realise that indoor playcentres and maccas playgrounds are more unhygienic than most parks, so the chance of germs (okay not HIV), are much higher there than in a park.

This is an interesting thread, and I guess its one where common sense prevails - we usually check out the park thoroughly for glass, or other hazards. I do hate shoes on in parks with sand and bark, just because they get caught in shoes, then are dragged everywhere (car, the house), and I hate dirty feet too, but on the other hand I do want my kids to be 'free range' and that means not being overly protected constantly ie with shoes on all the time. Its nice to feel grass, bark, sand and dirt on your feet, its tactile and part of sensory development. Pllus in terms of agility for climbing and gripping, its developmentally appropriate and necessary for young children to use their feet and toes, which are more restricted in shoes, so we do a mix, sometimes on or off, depending on weather (on if cold, wet), off if dry and hot.

Another problem for me personally is that my girls always want to take their shoes/socks off and never want to put them on, so that also adds some difficulty.
    Last edited by zenifa; 29-08-2010 at 21:33.

A Party of Five is offline Winner 2008 � Most Boring Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Shoes always on here

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    always where shoes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shoes on. Though i'm more worried about another kid stepping on her feet with their shoes or her stubbing her toe or something like that than needles which i would hope to h3ll there are none in a kids playground