+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question Can you ever enjoy food again after an eating disorder?

Just wondering if it is ever possible for someone who has suffered an eating disorder to EVER have a healthy relationship with food again??? Let alone their own body???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I truly hope so. I still struggle everday and have for the last 3 years. for you and I hope you get some good advice. xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Personally...for me, NO. I find it very difficult to be responsible with food.

The last couple of months I have gained an insane amount of weight from overeating. I'm talking around 500g of chocolate every night as well as other huge amounts of junk. Basically I've been on a binge for ages.

Now that I'm ready to lose the weight because I'm less depressed, I'm trying to do the right thing but I've resorted back to my old ways and consuming a very small number of calories per day. I'm eating very healthy food, just nowhere near enough of it. And because it's working already...I'm back in that damn cycle. I actually called myself a yo-yo in another thread, that's what I am.

2001 - skinny
    2002 - obese
    2003 - overweight then skinny
    2004 - hospitalised for Anorexia Nervosa
    2005 - overweight
    2006 - slim
    2007 - overweight then slim
    2010 - obese...I have never been this heavy before (I'm a size 16). By Xmas I plan to be skinny and the sad thing is that even though I will be, I'll still have ALL the issues I have now and I'll most likely gain it all back again at some point.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pinkzy For This Useful Post:

scarymarygoldfish  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes, I would say I suffered from disordered eating rather than a full blown eating disorder IYKWIM but while I still tend toward not eating when stressed unhappy etc my day to day relationship with food is pretty good. I still have completely warped body image but it doesn't impact my day to day life (aside from thinking about jow fat I am about a thousand times a day when I logically know that's not true).

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me, nope, and probably never will....

My cycle goes a bit like Pinkvanillaz and it sucks....

I dont think i will ever be allright with food.......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    kar - good on you

I think I am like the rest of you though I just find it so frustrating and I just want to be over it! I don't want to be doing this crap when I am like 50 years old. It ruins your life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Same here I think my relationship with food will always be difficult. The only thing that has changed though is that having a DD has made me a lot more mindful of trying to eat well in front of her and not make comments about my body as much as I used to. It has made me push myself to not be as bad with food because I am very scared of her suffering like I have. Time has helped a little but I am afraid it is a hard battle that I am yet to win.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't want to trigger anyone else who's had an eating disorder...but does anyone here talk themselves OUT of eating? even when they're hungry?

I used to have this very stupid mantra which I would say to myself - often when I was trembling from being so hungry (before I was hospitalised) - "nothing tastes as good as thin feels". That popped into my head last night after a bowl of 150 calorie soup. It's such an uphill battle, it really is. I haven't thought of that stupid saying in ages.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pinkvanillaz - absolutley.

And the opposite as well when I am going through a "I dont care" phase - nothing will make you feel better like that chcolate cake......

Rosily - I think you hit the nail on the head with one of my biggest fears - having my daughter go through what I have been through.... we always talk about food in front of her in a constructive way - we also dont make her eat, etc and she is only ten months......

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is so true chickenandeggsmum! (Can I just call you chicken? if so you can just call me pinky )

When I was at my worst - which was last week, I would justify all the junk I was eating. Even when I was feeling sick from it. "That block of chocolate won't matter - it's not that much extra weight to lose" or "eat whatever you want and blame the weight on being a new mum" etc etc...the ways of justifying the binging are as bad as the ways I tend to self-justify the starving.