+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    studentmidwife0810 is offline Student midwife- successfully helping women bring life into the world since 2009
    Thanks
    Reviews

Smile Rpa birth centre and delivery ward

hello,
    im a student midwife placed at RPA, and i just wanted to ask if anyone had any questions about RPA, after being present and catching many babies at both the birth centre and delivery ward. working in the antenatal clinic of BC and DW and the private and public postnatal ward im able to answer a few of your questions if wanted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I'm thinking of going to rpa as private. I have no idea about ob. Is there anyone u would recommend? Wat would the benefit be private over public?would u recommend private at rpa?

studentmidwife0810 is offline Student midwife- successfully helping women bring life into the world since 2009
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by boordinda View Post
    Hi, I'm thinking of going to rpa as private. I have no idea about ob. Is there anyone u would recommend? Wat would the benefit be private over public?would u recommend private at rpa?
    ok im going to be brutually honest, IN MY OPINON [please dont get on me, this is MY OPINON and what I PERSONALLY have witnessed] i believe that private obstetricians are a waste of money.

if you go private you dont have to be in area which is a positive if you wanted to come to RPA and lived outside of our catchment area. however to be brutually honest i believe that is the only benefit.

if you go public in the antenatal clinic there about an average of 15-30 min wait or if you see the obstetrician (for a problem, or your second visit) there is a 1 hour wait, but private obstetricans are just as bad, as they are on call 24/7 they may be very behind.

alot of people say they love their obstetrician because they feel ilke they will know a face in labour, IF YOU HAVE AN OBSTETRICIAN UNTIL YOU ARE PUSHING, IN SECOND STAGE you are looked after by an unknown midwife, as a student midwife i have caught a baby of a private obstetrician because he didnt make it in time, literally we call them when your ready to push and they come in, they may visit but yes.

i truthfully recommend going with midwives, you can still be a private patient and have your own room with private health insurance. Most of the midwives are lovely and while there is no continutiy of care model you can arrange to have all your appointments with the same midwife, though in the delivery ward you will not know you midwife.

If you see the benefits of having a natural labour and you think it is something you would like (as a student midwife i obviously think this is the best option) then GO BIRTH CENTRE! if you are not too pregnant, try an book in, the midwives are beautiful an since there is onl about 10 midwives you will most likely (though not guranteed) know you midwive in labour, there is no waiting time at the clinics, it is a beautiful beautiful place with a homelike feel and a beeautiful garden balcony for each room.

so yes that would be my decision, and i have written this as what i would do, it would be my first decision to go birth centre then antenatal clinic then private obstetrican.

but it depends where you live if you can go there, if your around the ryde area or any other area i would go to the ryde midwifery group practice as they have continiuty of care and its lovely to know your midwife and she would look after you completly in labour.

im sure this is a rambling post, if you have any more questions feel free to ask me them here, ill give you HONEST answers :P

[good luck for your labour and birth whatever you decide ] xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your honest response. I really appreciate it as I am very confused. I am only 5 weeks so it is early but I need to make the choice now.

I do not live in the area. I like in Wakeley which would be either Fairfield or Liverpool hospital, thinking Im closer to fairfiels and to be honest I would not want to go to either of them.

I had complications with my DD and it was an horrific expereince so I am a bit nervous with which way to go this time round.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by boordinda View Post
    Thank you for your honest response. I really appreciate it as I am very confused. I am only 5 weeks so it is early but I need to make the choice now.

I do not live in the area. I like in Wakeley which would be either Fairfield or Liverpool hospital, thinking Im closer to fairfiels and to be honest I would not want to go to either of them.

I had complications with my DD and it was an horrific expereince so I am a bit nervous with which way to go this time round.
    well if you wanted to go to RPA you would have to have a private obstetrician,

and its a difficult decision, i cannot tell you that going with midwives or an obstetrician will stop you having a traumatic birth, what did you go with last time? private obs? or midwives?

im sorry im not being very helpful, i guess if you have the money to spend go with a private obstetrican to get into RPA but i would really recommend going to the birth centre with a private ob because i think you feel better supported, but then again ive never been the women in a birth situation.

i just hope that whatever you choose you can avoid the situation you had last night, have you talked with someone a profesional to debreif? or just discuss your feelings?

Baldie's Mum is offline <--- Tommy Campbell, T.C, Baldie.....whatever you call him, he is ours!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It is so worth going through the birth centre! I have had nothing but amazing experiences with the BC!!!!

Middies in there are gorgeous, and they never make you feel like they are over-worked, underpaid and run off their feet! (even though they are!!!)

Can you use an address of someone in the area??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm glad I'm not the only person confused about the whole thing! I'm in the area for rpa, so that would be where we intend to have the baby, but shared care/ob/midwife public/private etc is what's got me confused!!! I'm happy to stick with my gp but what happens later in the pregnancy or when I go into labour? Can I get a private room at rpa if I'm a public patient (obviously would pay for this if it was possible)? Or do I have to be a private patient? I just want to go and have my baby as safely as possible and if anything did go wrong I would want to know help would be right there on hand. Reason I'd want a private room is because we've got a big family and would have a lot of (constant!) visitors. I'd hate them to upset another poor woman who has just had a baby! Are hubbies allowed to stay around? Goodness me, I have so many questions! Sorry darl...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm glad I'm not the only person confused about the whole thing! I'm in the area for rpa, so that would be where we intend to have the baby, but shared care/ob/midwife public/private etc is what's got me confused!!! I'm happy to stick with my gp but what happens later in the pregnancy or when I go into labour?
    Types of care;
    -private obstetrician; there are a few that do RPA, raja, frumar, hill, morris, huang. But really your visits will be 15 minutes, cost you 70 bucks each, and they only come when your pushing, and they may not make it. 4500 dollars? Hmmm?
    -Shared care; I guess if you like your GP you should stay with this model of care, but soe GP have no idea what there doing, and you have to come to the hospital if anything goes wrong, or if there not sure about something anyways. I feel that in labour you will have a midwife anyways so why not just stay with the midwives?
    -Midwives I would chose, cause you get to know the midwives, and its lovely to get used to the hospital, parking is annoying, get early morning appointments, less wait.

Can I get a private room at rpa if I'm a public patient (obviously would pay for this if it was possible)? Or do I have to be a private patient? Yes if you have private health insurance they pay for it, other wise its upwards of 400 dollars.

I just want to go and have my baby as safely as possible and if anything did go wrong I would want to know help would be right there on hand. – obstetricians are ALWAYS THERE, the midwives are experienced and know what to do until they get there, which is supremely quick. There is no worry that if something goes wrong we will always be able to do everything possible!

Reason I'd want a private room is because we've got a big family and would have a lot of (constant!) visitors. I'd hate them to upset another poor woman who has just had a baby!- visiting hours at 2-8pm, aside from that there is NO visiting, there are locked doors and the midwives are strict.
    Are hubbies allowed to stay around? Goodness me, I have so many questions! Sorry darl...- in a private room hubbies are allowed to sleep on a fold out couch
    Any more questions let me know.. J

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for all that info! DH and I have decided that we're going to stick with public. As for the GP/midwives, my only issue with that is getting appointments with midwives. I work 9-5.30 so there go most appointments. I have my first appointment at RPA next month. According to the letter they sent me, I'm meeting with a midwife who will explain the process and options for antenatal care, so I will get a good chance to find out whether I stick with GP or midwives then.

DH is super excited to find out that he can stay if we get a private room. Do you know if that is roughly per night or per stay? Either way, it's something I'll ask about at my first appointment as we'd really like to go this option.

Are the midwives there particularly strict about how many people can be in the room at once? It would be a comfort to know someone would kick everyone out if it all got a bit too much for me lol... I do love them but sometimes the family can just get a bit too excited and full on!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    After my first experience at RPA as a public patient I chose to go for a private ob for my next at RPA. I felt for me it was a much better choice. But only because I had a bad experience the first time. I know others who had a good experience on the birth ward.

I went with Dr Huang - and he was great.