Thanks
    Reviews

Default Immunology testing

Hi Dr Jessup, Thank you for assisting me with this question.

I have fallen pregnant naturally 3 times since 2007, 1st with my healthy daughter and then m/c at 15 weeks and then at 5 weeks. It has now been 12 months of TTC since then.

We had an autopsy done on 15 wk m/c which showed fine but no chromosome test was done (and I dont know why). A m/c this late concerns me.

We have had 3 natural IUIs and an IVF this year all resulting in negative. We got 10 blasts and our first natural FET is in a few weeks. A Laparoscopy showed clear in Nov 09.

As FS's like to see several m/cs before testing, I would like to be proactive in this area and get necessary autoimmune and neccessary testing now before money and time slips through our fingers. I would like to cover recurrent m/c and implantation failures.

I asked FS if I could have some tests and he gave me the following: Lupus Anticoaglent, ANF (what is this?), thrombophilia and one other. I really want to be thorough so do you think I should ask for the following tests to cover all areas?
    • AntiNuclear Antibodies
      Anticardiolipin Antibodies
      Antiphospholid Antibodies
      PAI-1 levels and activity
      Antithrombin III
      Prothrombin II mutation
      Protein C activity
      Protein S activity
      Factor V Leiden
      Serum Immunoglobulins (IgG, IgM and IgA)
      Thyroid levels (TSH, T3, T4)
      MTHRR Gene Mutation
      Elevated Homocysteine
      Urea Plasma DNA
      Karotyping
      NK Cells
      TNF-a (TH1/TH2 Cytokines)
      LAD
      DQ Alpha
    Which ones should my husband be tested in?
    My FS gave me a blood test for NK Cells, but I see a biopsy on day 26-28 is the normal process. Can you please advise?
    Cannot thank you enough for your help with this.
    Take care,

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Immunology testing

Hi Mya,

The list of tests you have outlined is certainly the comprehensive list of tests for RMC. Given that you have had two miscarriages, one at a relatively late gestation, and both at a relatively young maternal age, I do not think it would be unreasonable to investigate fully. My thoughts are that karyotyping for you and your husband is worthwhile, as well as a full thrombophilia screen, TSH, Antiphospholipid antibodies, ANA and LA. If you are Sydney based, a blood test looking at your NK cells is just as good as a mid-late luteal endometrial biopsy. The other tests you have indicated are slightly less commonly checked, but certainly would complete the workup. I assume your laparoscopy and ultrasound scans have excluded any uterine abnormalities.
    Even after two miscarriages, the most likely outcome in your next pregnancy will be a healthy baby. You may wish to consider trying Prednsolone 20mg daily in your next cycle. This is what would be suggested if your NK cells were elevated. Keep trying . It sounds as though you have a good grasp of the issues, and I am sure given you have already had a baby, that is is just a matter of time before it all works for you again. Good luck. Sonya

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Sonja. That is wonderful feedback. May I ask 2 more questions?

1. I am Perth based. Can a blood test be done here / sent to Sydney? Or would I have to have a biopsy?

2. What tests would be needed for a full thombophilia screen?

Many many thanks again.