+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    EternalOptimist is offline Never say you have failed until you have reached your last attempt; never say you have reached your last attempt until you have succeeded.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default IVF Acupunture

Hi Ladies,

I am currently going to acupuncture to assist on our IVF journey. So far I have been going weekly for the past 6 weeks and will then have a session the day after EPU (looking at being this Friday) and then another two sessions, 1 hour before and after ET.

Just curious if anyone else is doing this or done it to get a BFP.

And also, where does your acupuncturist put your needles? I have the following needles placed on me for half an hour:
    - 1 in each hand
    - 1 in each ankle
    - 1 just under my left knee cap
    - 1 on top of my right foot
    - 4 in different areas of my lower abdomen
    - 1 right in between my eyebrows on my forehead

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Eternal Optimist,

So glad you started this thread, was thinking of it myself! I was having a chat about this very topic in the Sept IVF thread and it seems different places do the acupuncture differently. This is what I have been getting:

- 2 needles close together in the side of my thumb
    - one needle in my left ankle (inner side)
    - one needle in my right ankle (inner side)
    - all needles connected to a gadget which then runs a light electrical current through them.

I've been going daily to get 10 sessions done before my FET, but will cut back to every 2nd day 'cos my FET just got delayed by a week (my body decided not to O on time this month).

The first session was quite uncomfortable, I had a strong throbbing feeling at each of the needle sites and even after the 30 mins it didn't ease off. Now I have only a light tingling feeling from the electricity in the first 10 mins, then I don't feel anything and I can fully relax. My therapist says to visualise the baby sticking and growing while I'm lying there, and he plays relaxing music in the background.

I had no acupuncture with my first cycle ET, and it was a BFN. Just trying something different to see if it helps... time will tell!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies

I have heard so many positive stories about accupuncture so I started last week. EternalOptimist my doctor puts them exactly where you have stated yours puts it on you.

I am going once a week until my next collection and then before and after on the day of transfer. My husband goes once a week until nex sperm collection.

My doc also puts a pyramid with a smokey thing in it on my belly. Who knows what it is lits like a mini incense thing. My doctor is not very talkative so I just lay there and not ask to many questions. It did hurt a bit last week when he twisted them. My next one on Wed.

You will get positive results from it I am sure sending you lots of

EternalOptimist is offline Never say you have failed until you have reached your last attempt; never say you have reached your last attempt until you have succeeded.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies,

Lindylou: wow every day that’s a lot of acupuncture, combine that with the injections and BT – you must feel like a pin cushion. I found the first 2 sessions very uncomfortable as well, the needles throbbed an awful lot. I am day 9 of jabbing and my acupuncturist said its best to make sure there is always some form of tingling happening during the session. When she first puts them in, she usually waits a few minutes and then if they have settled down and I can’t feel them she winds them in deeper. During My last session she put the usual 4 in my lower abdomen and I swear it felt like she had poked it right into my ovaries, I always feel like they are tingling after each session. Hoping this is a good sign that it’s working. She did mention to me that if I wanted more of a sensation she would hook up the wires to the needles, sounds like what you’re having done.

AuroraK: Wow that pyramid thing sounds interesting, I always wonder what all the little things they do mean. My acupuncturist isn’t very talkative either; she is a very calming person so I always feel very relaxed around her. I am totally the same, I go in get jabbed, lay there and relax and just let her do what she does best without any questions. After all TCM has been around for thousands of years and the chinese have the least amount of fertility problems in all of the world, so i reckon they know their stuff

One thing I have noticed since getting all of this done is that I feel very positive and good about all of this. It feels like my body is in neutral and nothing really worries me so far. I am usually a very stressful and anxious person so I think its definitely working so far.

Have you ladies been doing anything extra with the acupuncture? My acupuncturist told me to do the following additional things:
    - drink warm water from the time of injections starting, definitely don’t have any ice cold drinks, ice cream etc and eat lots of warming foods (not spicy) as they are trying to create a “warm womb” ready for the ET.
    - eat lots of protein – try and have at least 60mg each day and cut back on all carbohydrates. Apparently eating this in the lead up to EPU will create healthy strong eggs and then combining that with the acupuncture will give the eggs a lot of energy to go the distance when they are removed from us and fertilized.

I have done lots of research about acupuncture with IVF and they seem to have very good results. Sending lots of to you ladies and I just know this will help us get our

Thanks
    Reviews
    EternalOptimist- fortunately I don't need to do any injections as my cycle this month is a frozen embryo transfer (FET). Have had a number of BT's though, and yes at times I feel very much like a pin cushion, as all us IVF girls would! I haven't been advised to do anything extra like eating special foods or cutting out certain things. Perhaps because I'm not stimming? I agree that there is some merit in TCMs, and I chose my therapist 'cos he's from China and did all his training over there. In my job, I have visited factories where the TCM herbal formulas are manufactured and its simply amazing. I always wonder how someone 100's of yrs ago decided to crush a gnarly-looking root or a particular leaf and see if it could heal people... centuries of trial and error has to count for something!

AuroraK- does your DH have any sperm issues? My acupuncturist recommended my DH be treated also, as they have had success with MFI too. If we go through all our frosties and end up doing another full cycle, I'll definitely be sending DH for acupuncture then.

I find I feel so relaxed afterwards, I could easily fall asleep and when I get up to leave, I feel like I'm walking on air. Its very calming and peaceful, I might have to keep going even after I get my BFP!
    Last edited by SimpsonDesert; 17-08-2010 at 10:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    EternalO Wow thats interesting. Keep the womb warm and stay away from carbs. Carbs are my enemy anyway (hehe) I only eat carbs for breaky anyway and I will try the warming womb thing next time.

My hospital just says "stay positive" which I hate hearing and no alcohol or hard training.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lindy yes my DH has a very low sperm count. We have just used up all our frosties so have to start again. Boo hoo I hate the egg collection part.

My first acc session made me feel very anxious the next day. Then good from there. It brought up lots of bad feeling the next day then it went away. Hope tommorow is not like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have another acup session today in my lunch break, it looks like I may be having my EPU on Friday – just depends on how they are growing. I had my first scan yesterday and have 35 follies!!!! I feel so sick and bloated, I am just praying that it doesn’t get cancelled.

My first session brought up lots of old memories for me as well, I was having the weirdest dreams for the first week until I had my next session.

My acu recommended DH go as well, apparently its really helpful for low sperm count and mobility issues. I haven’t done anything about this yet though. DH is missing the tube that links his testis up to the outside world, he has had all his BT done and as far as they can tell he has swimmers down there but then again I won’t be 100% definite until they do the biopsy on the same day as my EPU. I am praying they find enough down there for all my eggs i am laying

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I have another acup session today in my lunch break, it looks like I may be having my EPU on Friday – just depends on how they are growing. I had my first scan yesterday and have 35 follies!!!! I feel so sick and bloated, I am just praying that it doesn’t get cancelled.

My first session brought up lots of old memories for me as well, I was having the weirdest dreams for the first week until I had my next session.

My acu recommended DH go as well, apparently its really helpful for low sperm count and mobility issues. I haven’t done anything about this yet though. DH is missing the tube that links his testis up to the outside world, he has had all his BT done and as far as they can tell he has swimmers down there but then again I won’t be 100% definite until they do the biopsy on the same day as my EPU. I am praying they find enough down there for all my eggs i am laying
    Eternal - GOOD LUCK for friday...wow thats alot (35) thats wonderful.
    Praying for you
    Are you in Perth?
    DERRR Sydney sorry should open my eyes first haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    AuroraK: Where abouts are you located? How did your acupunture session go today?

Lindylou: My acu lady recommends coming weekly for the first 12 weeks of a pregnancy to make sure its all settling in nicely and to help with the side affects of morning sickness etc, i think i will def be doing that as well

I had a second scan today and EPU may even be pushed back to Saturday now - just waiting on the call from my FN. Our clinic does EPU and ET 7 days a week which is awesome, i won't need to take an extra day off work.

I had another session of acupunture yesterday in my lunch break and considering how many follies i have growing down there, i feel very bloated, nausious and extremely tired. I told my acupunturist this and she stuck a heap of extra needles in different places this time and i can tell you it 10000000% worked. i feel so good today, like i am not even doing IVF. I loved it so much, i even fell asleep yesterday during the session and i have NEVER had that happen to me before. She did mention to me yesterday that my body is getting sick of being prodded with needles becasue when she went to pull out the acupunture needles my skin kept hold of them and it was difficult for her to remove them without hurting me. It didn't hurt too much and for how good i fell today i would do it again in a heart beat