+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default HELP! NSW Temporary Teacher

Hi all..... needing some advice and assistance from those who know.....

I'm currently teaching temporary p/t (2 days) for this year and my contact ends Dec 17 (last day of school). My due date is 2nd Jan and am wondering if I am entitled to any mat leave?

So far I am led to believe if the due date is outside your engagement period (which it is by 2 weeks-ish) you're not entitled to anything...... I've been working there for 3 years and this hardly seems fair???

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I'm going off my knowledge of the Vic Edu system... but are you contracted? Or just on an 'agreement', meaning you are paid CRT rates? If the latter, I wouldn't think you are entitled to anything.

If you are contracted, in Vic you must take leave 6 weeks before your due date.

IDK whether that helps or not, sorry!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't think a temporary gets any paid leave anyway, but you are entitled to return to your position after maternity leave. Perhaps ring the union and ask them or the department of education will help you!

If your baby is born on or after 1st January, you'll ge the paid parental leave from the government.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    I'm going off my knowledge of the Vic Edu system... but are you contracted? Or just on an 'agreement', meaning you are paid CRT rates? If the latter, I wouldn't think you are entitled to anything.

If you are contracted, in Vic you must take leave 6 weeks before your due date.

IDK whether that helps or not, sorry!
    I'm contracted until Dec 17th.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Then you will just get the appropriate paid school holidays nothing more unless you give birth before the end of your work period
    Bugger....

and we're having twins too...... really could do with that money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The following comes from the NSW Teachers Federation advice sheet on Maternity, Adoption and Paternity Leave.

Quote "Teachers who are engaged as temporary teachers and who have taught full time for 40 continuous weeks are entitled to paid maternity leave. Temporary teachers should note that maternity leave taken not more than nine weeks before the anticipated date of birth will count towards the 40 weeks continuous service.
    The 40 continuous weeks includes school vacations, periods of paid leave, and periods of leave without pay up to a maximum of five days.

A teacher who was in a full time temporary position at the end of the school year and was available for employment at the beginning of the new school year will not suffer a break in service provided she has a temporary engagement by the 21st day of the new school year.

In addition, if a temporary engagement is terminated early, continuity of service applies to the original end date of the engagement.
    Maternity leave will be unpaid if the 40 weeks continuous service has not been completed."

I believe that if you have completed the 40 weeks of continued service you would be entitled to pro-rata maternity leave. Call Federation if you would like any more information or PM me if you would like me to email you the sheet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah..... I will call fed tomorrow......

was wondering if there was anyone out there in same boat as me and what they got/didn't get.

I was full time temp last year and previous, but not for the entire year.... started about May both times, and of course this year I'm only part time.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    you need to call the NSW Dept of Ed and Training, Employee Services. (number is on your payslip!)
    They will be able to answer any questions... they did for me
    (but I have permanent position, so not really in your boat).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just missed out I was due the 27th Feb my contract ended 27th Jan so I didn't get it Hope you get better results than me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mordygordy View Post
    I just missed out I was due the 27th Feb my contract ended 27th Jan so I didn't get it Hope you get better results than me.
    Oh bummer!!

I have a number from my DP to ring on Monday, then I'll ring the fed and see what they say...... last time I rang them they say to just put in an app for it and if it gets declined to ring them back.....

will keep you all posted as to what happens........

but at the end of the day, whatever happens happens..... I'll have more important things to worry about by next year, gotta remember to keep it all in perspective eh!!