User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy Sore nipples - cabbage leaves, nipple shields and when is too early to express?

Hi everyone!! I really need your help and advice. I've got a a two week old daughter and have been breastfeeding. She is a great feeder but getting quite ferocious with my nipples - they are sore, cracked, bruised, misshapen and occasionally the let down is just horrendous (tears and screaming). I have used lansinoh cream on them to get them to heal but wondered the following -
    1. I've heard the old wives' tale of putting cold bruised cabbage leaves onto the breast (between breast and breast pad) is supposed to be good at relieving sore nipples and healing them - is this true? Any tips on how to do this?
    2. Nipple shields - I've purchased some Avent shields - are there any better ones out there? I'm a bit worried as its early days and I don't want using them to interfere with successful breastfeeding. I have tried them for a few feeds but still found feeding painful - are they only meant to protect the nipple from further damage but not offer any relief?
    3. When is it too early to express breastmilk and give it to baby via bottle? The midwife in hospital said 10 days, anyone else with info/suggestions? I really would prefer to give my DD the breast, but with this pain, its not bearable - so is it better to express/bottle feed or to use nipple shields? I want to try both and give her the occasional breastfeed, but will this confuse a 2 week old? Will this jeopardise the attachment (which I'm guessing isn't as good as I thought it was, otherwise my nipples wouldn't be in the mess they're in!).
    4. Finally if anyone has any good recommendations for a lactaction consultant on the southside of brisbane, please PM me the details - I went to the baby clinic at the hospital and I got a list but a recommendation would really help, as I'm thinking I may need to see one if I can't resolve all this on my own.

Still determined to continue breastfeeding, despite the above. Zenifa
    Me 35 DH 34
    DD 16th Aug 2005
    DD 1st Oct 2007

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would advise ringing the ABA helpline ASAP - Qld - 38448977, or 3844 8166.
    They would help with all of your queries, and are very well trained, and i'm sure could point you in the direction of an LC if you wanted more one on one assistance.

all the best

Angie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep ABA sounds like a good idea. With nipple shield I found the Medala ones to be much softer, thinner and more flexible than Avent shields. Good luck
    DS the big bro
    DD the lil sister

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Zenifa!
    Hang in there - I am PMing you the details of the lactation consultant who saved my breastfeeding relationship!
    The four of us now appearing live in NSW

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have also PM's you the details of the lactation consultant who saved my sanity (will be very amused if it is the same one) in case you have any dramas with the referral from Nickster.
    They are lifesavers so make the call!

Thanks
    Reviews
    After also going through the excruciating pain and tears and stress of breastfeeding problems in the early days, I can definately understand what you are going through and sympathise wholeheartedly but it really does all settle down if you can manage to work through it with some good help. The ABA were fantastic with me as was my local midwife - I think the hospital that you give birth in have a responsibilty to help you up to about six weeks also.

Cabbage leaves worked for engorgement but for sore and cracked nipples I found that expressing a little breast milk onto the nipple area and letting it air dry several times daily as well as using Lansinoh did the trick. It took a little while (and lots of tears) but it really did all settle down. I thought (and argued with my husband) about expressing and going to a bottle but I was worried about confusing my little boy's sucking action but apparently that wouldn't happen if using the correct teat.

It is well worth trying to stick with it and get some help and talk to a professional at length (for your own sanity). Best of Luck.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Lasinoh is the best!

I can totally sympathise with you Zenifa! I went through this with DS1 for months using cabbage leaves, help from lactation nurse and expressing, until finally they cleared up.
    With DS2 I found the miracle cream "Lasinoh", it was quick, effective and has no effect on breastmilk or bub if you follow instructions! It was only weeks that I endured the pain of cracked nipples and I won't look back if we have another bub!!!
    Good luck and enjoy your beautiful baby!
    Our little Family - ME, DH, DS (1/2/03), DS (17/4/04)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Zenifa

Well it looks like you have already been given some good advice here, and some helpful contacts, so my info at this stage will probably be superfluous!! but if you do need to express and feed bub EBM, just to rest the nipples for a while, there is always cup feeding. Babies [even premmies] do this surprisingly well - but it has to be done PROPERLY, so once again contact the ABA or a LC for the details. I have some information here if you want it, but I am guessing by now that you will have plenty of great help and it won't be needed.

Good on you for being so determined and I hope the breastfeeding soon settles down to be an enjoyable experience for you!!!!!
    Last edited by mimi; 01-09-2005 at 21:18.

Thanks
    Reviews

Smile Thank you to all the bubhub mums

I just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU to everyone who replied to my post, it really means a lot to me, as I was definately on a downer about the painful nipples and was getting worried about nipple confusion with the nipple shields and bottlefeeds. I haven't tried the cabbage leaves, so I'm leaving that for now. Thanks to the mums (Nickster, Theresa and Bess) who Pmed me with details of lactation consultants, I'm certainly going to follow up on that and later get in touch with ABA. I will let you know how it all goes. Your support has been great.
    Zenifa
    Me 35 DH 34
    DD 16th Aug 2005
    DD 1st Oct 2007

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Zenifa, I'm not sure why the midwife told you 10 days before being able to express. I was able to express milk pretty much straight away (when my milk came in that is) and dd fed this way for months. She loved her bottle!!
    Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body.