+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You are very right it is our body and what it is doing is amazing but damn it's hard.

I also tend to think that I will not forget any of it like 50 million people tell me. They are not me and are not experiencing it. Some of those women have forgotten what It is like too as it has been a long time. Sometimes I get the feeling ppl push the guilt trip on me because they went down a different path and expect me to follow and are somewhat regretful of their own decisions.

My dh and I are the type of ppl who will be very involved in their childs life. Why would you have kids if you didn't want to be a part of their life? Being a lobe child does not mean the child will be lonely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know this post was a while back but I just wanted to let you know that I grew up as an only child and it was a very positive experience. I was able to communicate on a very mature level because i spoke to adults regularly, was very independant, had no trouble making friends, despite what many think about only children I was a good sharer. In fact It use to amaze me when I was a kid and stayed at my friends houses how much other kids fought over toys, food etc and how much rivarly there was between them.... I never had trouble sharing my toys cause I knew eventually my friends would go home and they'd be all mine again There is alot of negative stuff out there about only's and it always amazes me that people often felt sorry for me growing up.... dont know why.... I loved it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yay Kobiesmum thanks SO much for sharing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree! Thanks for sharing your positive experiences all the onlies i know are actually better at sharing and very independent... I think the stereotypes placed on onlies is silly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumof3furbabies View Post
    I agree! Thanks for sharing your positive experiences all the onlies i know are actually better at sharing and very independent... I think the stereotypes placed on onlies is silly.
    Too true mumof3furbabies.. I have known probably 10 only children that I can think of (through school etc) and only ONE of them stands out as the steriotyped only child.. he came accross as up him self, loud, obnoxious.. but then later came his REAL diagnosis, ADHD.. not from the fact that he was an only child at all! All the others have been poilte, generous well adjusted people. After all.. dont we want children to grow up to be adults who can function in the world.. only children I feel sometimes have an advantage as adults because the have been dealing with alot of adults all their lives

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got asked the day after leaving hospital "when are having the next one?" *rolls eyes*

if it happens it happens. those sort of things can't be forced, no matter hard you try.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default ...Oh man, I feel better already...

Hi all.

I thought I'd swing by this area and take a bit of a read. Wow! I'm glad I did. I now feel my wifey and I aren't the only ones under enormous pressure to have more little ones. Our attempts to conceive were perilous with IVF, all dignity out the window for both of us...the pregnancy was rather good with only a tad of morning sickness wifey suffered. And that's about when the wheels fell off. The delivery was near tragic for both bubs and wifey. But now, almost 10 months down the track, both bubs and wifey are going gangbusters.

I have no desire for another child what-so-ever. Our little girl is perfect and that is such a bonus for us both. I'm about to turn 47 and wifey will be 41 this year. I figure we pour all our resources into this one little bub and give her all the best things in life. Schooling, nutrition, holidays, the arts, sports and eventually, higher education.

There is a little PND here but it's being dealt with well and things are working out for the better over time and with good counselling. Our sex life is still non-existent from the traumatic birth but we're working on that very slowly.

All our friends and family were asking for years, "when will you have a child", now that we do, now all they ask is "when will you have another". Every time I need to clench my teeth to stop from saying what I feel I need to say to them....or rather what I want to say to them. It wouldn't be productive but it would sure make me feel a whole lot better. Family hey...you can't pick'em. In the very near future I think I'm going to need to tell them how we feel in very certain terms and let them deal with their own reactions, otherwise I will eventually explode and totally over react in the worst possible way.

God I feel better now. Sorry for going on, but just getting this down in writing has made me feel so much better and knowing you all are going through the same thing and fully understand is pure gold....Thankyou.

Paul
    SA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kstar23 View Post
    My own sister told me last night (she has 2 teenagers) that she has never known a nice only child and that they are normally less smart than children with siblings! I mean FFS, come on!!!

Haven't read the thread yet but just wanted to say something about this. I was an only child (well up until 18 lol) and I was ALWAYS the most intelligent out of all my friends and the most advanced. Mainly because I was around adults more and absorbed more. A sibling wouldn't have allowed this. I was also a darn sight nicer than alot of my friends, always thinking of others etc. I was a very thoughtful child. None of it has anything to do with whether you have siblings or not, it's in the parenting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Emzluvbub

Thanks for your input. I'm glad to have read your post. At last, a little empirical evidence. Nicely said.

Paul
    SA

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's because it's rare for people to only have one by choice rather than not being able to. Still, it's none of anyone's bl00dy business why you only have one child!
    It's a bit like people choosing not to have kids or people that have a preference for kids of the same sex or people that don't keep trying for a child of the opposite sex.
    Why people care so much is beyond me.
    Bugger 'em and enjoy your fake family