+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Looking at Swings and Bouncers now
    I'm trying to decide which would be better, a Swing or a Bouncer/Rocker?
    The FP ones get pretty good write ups but just can't decide which one i want. I'm going to ask my Mum to buy it as a gift as she has been looking for ideas.
    Any recs girls?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    lissy - I have acutally got both! we got a bouncer/rocker with handles so we can take it to friends places ect as it folds flat its just a childcare brand from Big W and we got the Fisher Price Papisan swing and I swear if it was bigger Id curl up in it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lissy - I have both too, L has just outgrown his swing and is now using an upright bouncer. The swing was great for distracting him while he was little so I could do things now the bouncer works the same way. Both were FP but one was a gift and the other a lend because they do get pricey.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought i was a bit silly thinking i might need both but it appears i am normal
    Nikki - So the swings don't last very long then?
    What about the Bouncers?

Petals - if only they made an adult version. I like the look of the Papasan swing, thats not the plus in one is it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    L is 5 months old now and is on the move (shuffling and rolling across the floor) so the swing only really works if he is half asleep otherwise he tries to escape it. I probably stopped using it regularly when he was around 3.5 months old and by 4 months he was using the bouncer. Every child is different though. I suspect the bouncer will entertain him for a few more months maybe until 7-8 months if I'm lucky, depends how fast he is on the move crawling and pulling himself up to stand. He also has a walker which is loves more than the bouncer because he can chase us around the house and chase the dog too

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't believe L is 5 months old already, time flies!! Those walkers are great, i'll def be getting one of those when required.

2girls&1angelboy is offline Has 3 very special people in my life my 2 girls & my angel baby boy xxx
    Thanks
    Reviews
    i have a swing the one that is lower to the ground for this bub i had the higher ones for my girls anyway DDis 2.5 and she feel asleep in it last night and it still swings her i think they last awhile especially the lower ones. I am getting both

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EarthAngel75 View Post
    Emma: I don't know why the nurse/midwife would have said that about grobags. If they are the quality ones that are TOG rated these are what SIDS recommends parents to use OVER blankets/wraps as there is no way baby can get the head stuck underneath/inside them and with the TOG ratings you know what bag to use in what temp.
    Just relaying what the NICU nurses have said

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lissy: We also have bother a swing and a bouncer. to be honest we havent needed to use the swing much this time around as ds is a very happy, rarely unsettled bub and doesnt have reflux (we use it purely around dinnertime to try and get him to have a catnap and at 5,5mths old when we go o/s it will be getting packed away. We had a swing with dd as she had reflux and had to be kept upright after every feed for 30mins so if you wanted to get anything done you had to have somewhere to put her that was upright and the swing was perfect!

As for bouncers/rockers. Ive heard most people say bouncers are better as young babies can easily bounce themselves but it's hard for them to rock themselves at a young age. Also how long your baby will be able to use the bouncer for will depend on what bouncer you buy and how big your bub is. We cheaped out on the bouncer and got the bright starts one (you can often find it on sale for $30-40 but it's seat area is smaller that quite a few of the FP ones) and ds is a reasonably big baby (was 54cm at birth) and he will be too small for it by the time we go o/s so it too will be getting packed away. If you're in a big city I'd personally try and get a swing used (the cradle swings are awsome as they swing side to side and back and forth but are like $260 new but can often be had for $150 or less used and then go and buy a nice new bouncer (then either buy or set money aside to buy an activity saucer to start to use from 4-5mths old which allows bubs to be upright which many prefer around that age).

Another thing I highly recommend is a specific tummy time mat. You can get them on sale for $20 from big W often (made by bright starts) as if you have a baby who doesnt naturally like tummy time one of these will probably help as the foam pillow thing for their tummies to lie on is quite firm (unlike rolling up towels or blankets which is what a lot of people tell you to do) which props them up better. I reckon for $20 you cant go wrong lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Earth I've suggested that my Mum buy me the Swing as her gift and my Sister has a bouncer she is going to give me so i'll see what that is one is like.
    Is the Tummy mat different to the activity mats, the ones with mirrors and toys hanging down? Sounds like a great idea.