+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had DS2 at the public hospital, thru the birth centre (cmp) and in early pregnancy went they the early pregnancy unit (due to a previous ectopic pregnancy). I couldn't fault them, though be prepared to wait, which I think is standard for all appointments anywhere really.

The birth suites are brand new (my son was born in October and the new ward haven't been opened yet).

I attended my best friends birth directly thru the hospital and they were amazing, she had a fantastic midwife.

Like I said, you do spend sometime in waiting rooms (but then I did that going private with DS1 too) and you don't get to pick your doctors but overall I couldn't fault the care, though I transferred to cmp from my 22 week appointment onward.

I didn't stay in the maternity ward, there are no single rooms and I know some friends who got unpleasant neighbours and others who didn't have any issues.

I would call the hospital and ask what's best re: referrals but I would say they are going to tell you to get your current GP to fax they a referral. I believe they see you at around 10 weeks for your first appt (as I went thru the early pregnancy unit I seem them from very early - like 5 weeks early!).

Also unless you pay to go private, or have a home birth your only other option is the public hospital, through the public you can then go on the list for the birth centre (cmp). The bc is very sought after, and they accept 30 ( I think!) pregnancies per month. At one if your initial appts at the hospital they will discuss the bc with you and if that's the model of care you would like.
    Last edited by Uh-Oh; 17-06-2013 at 23:46.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Uh-Oh For This Useful Post:

FruitBowl  (18-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dbl post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dbl post
    Last edited by Marepoppin; 18-06-2013 at 00:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Delivered my son in the RDH 4 years ago. He was prem so I laboured and birthed in the actual maternity delivery ward instead of the CMP birth suite but I had my CMP midwife with me. To be honest; I didn't like the doctors or most of the midwives I had and without my CMP midwife I would have had a much different and less satisfying birth. As it was, my delivery was drug and intervention free.
    So Id stay if I was in the CMP. Don't know of I'd stay if I was a regular patient in the hospital obstetric system. Up to you

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a great vbac at RDH. An amazing midwife and overall it was awesome. Couldn't fault it. The wait times at antenatal clinic were a little long but as far as delivery & maternity-- fantastic.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default thanks all

Thanks so much.
    That's very reassuring. My DH is from Darwin, not me. So he's sort of scared me with stories of the RDH.
    Thanks for the upbeat reports!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It does get a bit of a bad rap, especially a&e. but they dealt with my ectopic pregnancy extremely quickly & I got excellent care and my dad has had 2 heart attacks and there care has been exceptional.

The are understaffed and extremely busy but I'm almost sure that's a nationwide problem!

The only thing I do hate is actually walking in and past some of the less desirable patients who hang out the front. Get beyond that and it's fine!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have had three children at RDH and i have also worked there as a nurse and at DPH as a nurse.

I had no problems what so ever and would not hesitate to recommend it. I never considered having my children at DPH. My first two where with the birth center and I could not fault it at all. My third was with the birth center midwives but I had to deliver in the main hospital as DS was measuring very big so it was considered too risky. I was very anxious about this at the time but I could not fault the staff at all and in fact - had i not delivered in the main hospital lots of things would have gone wrong. DS was 4.52kg and everything that was predicted to go wrong with a big baby did and it was handled very well ( shoulder dystocia - him, PPH - me, low apgars - him, retained placenta - me). I stayed in for 4 nights and only because I insisted I could go by then!
    I know lots of people who have had babies at DPH with no complaints however a few things worth considering...
    If anything does seriously wrong you or bub will end up in RDH anyway ( they are joined by a tunnel).
    The staff at RDH are used to unexpected emergencies due to the number of high-risk deliveries they attend - young mothers ( very young), undiagnosed pregnancies, pregnancies with no antenatal care, premature births, mother with very poor health. At the private the general patient will be a healthy, middle-class , woman who has done everything she's been told by her midwives. Most deliveries will be text-book.
    Also - just on a side note. My friend is having hers there and she was advised to have an early induction as her last child was considered big at around 4kg and her current bub is measuring big in the abdo ( indication of shoulders). I was facing this exact same issue with my last bub and I researched the hell out of what my options would be. Everything I found said that induction INCREASES the risk should dystocia and i am very puzzled as to why the private OB told my friend she should have an induction to avoid this.
    RDH is not the nicest hospital to look at and you might not get the room-mate you want but personally - I would chose RDH ideally the birth-centre over DPH ( and I did - three times).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    I had dd there had my appendics out there at 32 weeks pregnant and was in there for a month after a major car accident. Noting but good words and excellent care
    Last edited by bpac; 26-06-2013 at 22:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Oops sorry when I was 32 weeks pregnant I mean