+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Darwin public hospital?

Has anyone had their baby in Darwin and how was the experience?

So far I've only heard bad reviews and have been recommended to have the baby somewhere else but options are limited here.

I'm hoping to have a Vbac but depends on if my blood pressure behaves it's self and also I'm measuring 3 weeks ahead so it's going to be a big one.

I'm thinking of flying back to the Gold Coast to have my baby at Tweed but I only have two weeks to decide, can anyone help?

[/url][/center][/IMG]
    Last edited by Melina; 23-07-2010 at 12:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hey Melina I was going to have DS in the Darwin Public and had the initial midwife care there until 30 weeks when I went to Brisbane as we were unsure if DH was going to be home (he is in the Navy) so I wanted my Mum there for the birth and my Dad or MIL to look after DD. As it turned out DH was home but I am glad I had DS in Brisbane.

I Think on of the girls on here had her bub in RDH a few months ago so hopefully she sees this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Melina View Post
    Has anyone had their baby in Darwin and how was the experience?

So far I've only heard bad reviews and have been recommended to have the baby somewhere else but options are limited here.

I'm hoping to have a Vbac but depends on if my blood pressure behaves it's self and also I'm measuring 3 weeks ahead so it's going to be a big one.

I'm thinking of flying back to the Gold Coast to have my baby at Tweed but I only have two weeks to decide, can anyone help?

[/url][/center][/IMG]
    You will hear so many different stories about Darwin Public Hospital. I worked in the Maternity clinic for 2.5 years and know all the good and bad stories.

I had my DS over at the Darwin Private hospital and would never have even thought about going public in Darwin.

I am currently living in the Tweed area and have heard so many good and positive stories about the Tweed Hospital. I am currently preg but will be going to John Flynn.

If your family are over here then I suggest coming back to the Tweed over Darwin.

Sheer Bliss is offline new username time?? this is toooo friggin hard, and NOT Bliss!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have only heard bad things. Is Stephen O'Callaghan at the public hospital? I know he left Newcastle to work in Darwin somewhere, and he is fantastic (not that great in his bedside manner, but really lovely and a great dr).

If I couldn't get him, i'd fly elsewhere if possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Melina,

I live in Darwin and gave birth to DS in the Darwin Private Hospital in 2008, I am currently due to have my second bub in August and am going through the private hospital again. I had a positive experience and am happy how it all went.
    I am glad I have private cover as I would not like to give birth in the public hospital.
    If you have private cover then see if you can get into an OB at the private although you may have trouble getting into one as you are due in September (I think?). There are only 3 OB's at the private to chose from and two of them book up really fast, not sure about the third one who is Stephen O'Callaghan (as mentioned by Sheer Bliss, he works at the private not public).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tweed was fantastic last time, I've also heard good things about John Flynn and know a very good midwife that works there. All the best, not long to go now

Thanks
    Reviews
    I gave birth at the private, and will do so agin for this bub. This was only really because I had private insurance. The only thing that would put me off going public is sharing rooms with others.

DS had to spend 1 week in the hospital there & the care he got was phenomenal, but that was in the childrens ward. The staff I have had experience with, both in emergency & in the kids ward were professional & very caring. I could not have asked for any better!

No idea about the maternity wards though!

Sheer Bliss - O'Callaghan is at the Private & is my ob. He has been fantastic so far & very professional. I'd rather have someone that knows what they're doing than someone who is great to have an idle chat with!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well it's good to know the private care in Darwin is excellent, we have insurance now so if I decide to have a third at least I know I'll be looked after. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm moving to NT soon, and we have no PHI. I'm thinking we'll have to go to Royal Darwin Hospital. Any advice on a dr? Any advice at all?
    I'm 6 weeks along now...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie5 View Post
    I'm moving to NT soon, and we have no PHI. I'm thinking we'll have to go to Royal Darwin Hospital. Any advice on a dr? Any advice at all?
    I'm 6 weeks along now...
    If you don't have private health insurance, then you don't get to choose your doctor. See a GP wherever you are now and get your scans and bloods done. Call Darwin Hospital, tell them what dates you're moving and make an appointment to see a midwife and get booked into the hospital shortly after you arrive. Make sure you take along any copies of blood tests and scans you get done beforehand.