Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ivf # 1 failed

Hi,

We have just completed our 1st ivf cycle. Classic text book from beginning to end. Out of 13, 10 made it to blast, 3 being AA and remaining AB.

I have a DD who just turned 3 and suffered 2 m/c from sept 08 to may 09.

I tested negative to APS, and all bloods showed normal.

At time of implant, uterus lining was 11mm. I am 34, hubby is 32 and no known cause (although I failed the PCT hence the 3 iui's )

Our 1st ivf failed.

While I appreciate ivf is not 100% success, what could have been the reason for the embie to not implant? Was the zona (?) layer to thick? Would the RE know this? What is the likelyhood of the embie arresting? What could be other reasons?

Most of all, how can these be tested? Does an u/s guiding the ET increase results?

Does taking a baby asprin per day help with fertility?

So basically, how can the perfect embie not stick?

Any answers will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to let you know, my DD was conceived naturally as well as the 2 m/c.

Thank you DR.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Mya,

The most recent trials suggest aspirin has no benefit; hence I no longer use it routinely.

I believe ultrasound guidance of embryo transfer is fantastic; you can see exactly where you are placing the embryo and can curve the transfer catheter more accurately along the line of the uterus so minimal damage occurs to the lining.

If ten of your thirteen embryos made it to blastocyst, you have done very well for the cycle. Have you been checked for increased levels of endometrium natural killer cells? If high levels of NK cells are present, there is some evidence that prednisone 20mg a day improves pregnancy outcomes (google Gavin Sacks, Sydney who does most of the research in this area).

Have all the other recurrent miscarriage tests been looked at? Karyotype? Thyroid tests? Etc.

You have had a baby naturally before, which means you are very likely to have another baby. Give it time. You have an excellent chance of one of the embryos doing very well.

Good Luck,

Sonya.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Sonya, thanks for that info. Not sure if you reply twice.

1. Should the NK cells test be done by biopsy or blood test? And if my blood test, which cycle day is best?

2. My doc said I didn't need to be tested for NK cells. Should I press this subject with him?
    3. Are you able to provide me a list of immune system blood tests to rule out these cells?

I just feel given my history of a natural conception & top grade embryos I feel there is an underlying problem. Is it possible to not implant and still be medically fine?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default NK cells

Hi Mya.

To check endometrial NK cells, this needs to be done at about day24 of your cycle. Regarding the blood test, this is equally as good but needs to be done in Sydney ( I suspect in the luteal phase, but not being in Sydney, I have not used the blood tests) . Associate Prof. Gavin Sacks is the expert in this area - google search his articles for more expansive information on immune abnormalities of the endometrium. Sonya