+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all,

Thanks for linking the two threads 1st for Jess.

To answer your questions -
    >How old are your bubbas? 5 weeks old

>- Would you start trying to incorporate EC from newborn age (like day 1)? A few weeks, a month..?
    I'd start as soon as possible - we started at 2 weeks after I'd recovered enough from the emerg c/s and had the hang of breastfeeding. Mind you, it did actually help breastfeeding because he was needing to toilet and popping on and off, falling asleep or wriggling (his signs) and once I'd realised it made feeding him much easier.

>- Have you told people you are doing EC? What have their reactions been?
    I've told my parents and in laws - mum is from Hong Kong so has heard of it before and thinks it's great - thinks DS is so clever! And the in laws have been interested but never heard of it before - and encouraging.
    I've discussed with a friend who has an 8 month old who was already thinking of starting to toilet her little one (but thought it was too early) as she knows when she needs to go - she just hasn't heard of 'EC'.

>- Have you been using a toilet at all? Basin? Potty?
    We've been using all three - I bought a little potty which is great from thepottyshop.com?.au, however he goes in all three - just needs to be put in the position. I haven't needed to cue for a week or so now.

>- Do you use EC when you're out and about or just at home for now?
    I haven't been out so much - but have toiletted him at my parent's house. Will see how we go in the future - Mum's already bought me a foldable potty! (mothercare)

Cheers,

M

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's great Melly. you sound like you are doing really well.

Have you looked at the tribal baby site? It's really good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I joined the tribal baby site while still pregnant - but thanks for the reminder to re-read the 7 steps now - now that I actually have a baby to try it out on!

how old is your little one, Korfire? how is it all going?

I've bought the book (from thepottyshop.com.au) 'infant potty training' by laurie boucke a great read. It does emphasise that it should all be a positive, not stressful experience and to do what you can - it is more about the COMMUNICATION than the ELIMINATION.

We're not co-sleeping so I do the EC around feeds, and during the day when I hear him stir. I've just purchased a hugabub so it should be delivered next week - i plan to try baby wearing to see if i can pick up some more cues with him during the day.

1st for Jess -
    We don't 'catch' every time - far from it! I don't find that we have reduced our nappy use yet - although he sometimes wakes up with a dry nappy, he is sometimes tooooo hungry to want to pee first. I have spent some time observing and writing down the times he pees/poos/burps etc, particularly around feeding time, and when he stirs he can sometimes go from fast asleep to crying for a feed in an instant - and gets too distressed on the potty as his main concern is the feed.
    However, I am getting better at 'knowing' that he'll need to pee and/or poo around that feed and try my best to give him time before he's ready to do this. This means offering a 'pottytunity' (potty opportunity!) between sides of the feed, when he falls asleep between sides and when he squirms. I usually try burping first as that is the easiest! We have been trying day feeds (and some night feeds) with the nappy off - i take it off gently while he's feeding - and have a prefold around him and towels under him to try and catch any misses...although we did miss a poo and wee at 4am today and all i could do was laugh (quietly)! At least he missed the carpet. :0) He often does 2 wees and 3 poos each feed! I might not catch all of these- and therefore we haven't managed to reduce the number of nappies really, but that's not why we're doing it at the moment.

I also sing to him while he's on the potty - to relax him - sometimes he starts crying when on it (even though i made a fleece potty cover so the 'seat' isn't cold!) but settles very quickly when I distract him and he goes. Sometimes when he doesn't want to go he arches his back so i take him off. It used to be easier to tell that he was doing a poo - he would grunt - but now he grunts if he doesn't want to be on the potty! Apparently signals change!

Hope this helps you in your EC journey - with knowing what we're trying!

You also might consider joining the OZNF (OZ nappy free) yahoo group - some helpful discussions there as well, like here.

M

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks girls.
    I'm sure I'll be re-reading this entire thread once I have a baby and that all your hints, tips and advice will be much appreciated!
    Thanks for sharing all your successes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi All, hope all is going well.

Have any of you heard of this? http://www.3daypottytraining.com/

I just had a quick read and it doesn't sound like it would be a suitable thing for newborns/young babies. But was wondering if anyone has read more and can tell me if it has some similar principles...

Any new triumphs to share?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi 1st for Jess,
    Haven't heard of that 3 day training and although not sure exactly how it works, the similarities in it sound like the positive encouragement - EC is not about any negative connotations or pressure - it is about the positive communication.
    Hope all is going well with the end of your pregnancy - you must be due soon? Enjoy it all and good luck!

M

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies, hope you don't mind me popping in, I have just today stumbled across EC..... never heard of it before!
    I can't believe that this practice hasn't caught on in Western Society.... it makes sense to me, and I would consider myself fairly 'traditional'.
    I am currently TTC #2, after DS was stillborn last year. During that pregnancy I was sure I was going to use disposables, hadn't even heard of MCN's at that point. So today started checking out MCN's and found EC!

This thread is great, I hope it continues
    Has anyone attempted it with twins? Would this be impossible?

Good luck & well done on your efforts so far... I look forward to following this thread and learning more about EC.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been meaning to post in here for the last week or so!
    Hi All

So bubs is finally here yah! A little girl who is now 6weeks old
    We definitely know how poo look but have yet to do anything about it. We're still getting used to exactly what to do with a baby and the world of MCN's. I do feel like if we don't get started with the ECing soon then it won't happen. But I'm not quite sure how to get started.... Help?

We don't have a potty or anything and she doesn't like nudey time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    PA80 - welcome! If you're interested in learning more there's a great yahoo group you can join - OZNF (oz nappy free) which has lots of advice (and questions) on EC and all things related. Good luck with TTC # 2, I can't imagine what you went through with Austin.
    I would definitely think you could do it with twins. You'd potentially have separate times for nappy free times so you could watch one at a time and learn their cues separately. It would obviously be more to juggle, but with partners helping and not taking it too seriously, then it would be possible.

Jess - Congratulations!! What did you name your little girl?
    I bought a little potty off thepottyshop.com.au but that didn't last long because DS grew very quickly. You could use a bucket, the sink, the shower, the garden...etc!
    Re: Nappy free time - maybe it's too cold? Google noonee wilga. She sells wrap fleece skirts which keep bub warm without wearing a nappy. You could of course make your own, or fashion one from some fleece. I had DS in legwarmers when not in a nappy. Don't stress too much about it, maybe just keep the nappy free time short - maybe 10 minutes here and there? Watch for cues just before she eliminates and go from there!

I also started with pottying over the loo/over the bath straight after DS woke. Also straight after a feed. Take note of when she goes, even in her nappy, and then start trying to offer the potty (or bucket or whatever you choose!) at these times. I was so amazed and excited after the first catch!

Good luck! And consider joining the OZNF group, there's lots of discussion and lots of advice.

Cheers

Melissa

Check out: http://www.naturalbirthandbabycare.c...positions.html
    which shows different ways to support bub while she goes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi guys, I am really interested in this and am just subscribing. Great to see you are all doing well!