+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Lightbulb Nappy free from birth. Newborn toilet training

Not sure if I should have put this in the toilet training section, but wanted to talk more specifically about newborns.

Have people heard about not using nappies at all? Toilet training from birth. Most things I have read have called it "Elimination Communication" but some things seem a little over the top. I first read about it in a book by James Woodford, it was a tiny little sentence about one of his many life-style changes. But it caught my interest.

Anyway I have read about it, it is possible and I'm perhaps more than a little keen to try. I'd like to know if anyone else has read much on it, has opinions or even better knows anyone that has tried it.

I'm not doing it to be all hippy, save the environment. It just seems to make sense to me, that if you start learning from day 1 surely it'll make sense eventually? And the earlier bubs is toilet trained the happier all round...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow.. I'd be Interested to hear how its supposed to work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by chickenandfrog View Post
    Wow.. I'd be Interested to hear how its supposed to work?

Same here. Cant see how it would TBH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    A friend did it successfully part time with her newborn! He's 19 months now and still in nappies but can tell her (as he's also got very advanced language) he needs to go to the loo.

He doesn't have control yet though, so while he can use a potty a nappy is still needed.

I don't know how it works but it's doable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can I assume you don't intend co-sleeping? If DS had been nappy free from birth it would have meant he'd be lying in a pile of his own poop at least once or twice a day unless I had been able to watch him absolutely 24/7 day and night.

I don't like the thought of that at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So if the baby slept 12 hours straight what would happen? You couldn't stand by the cot waiting for a sign and there is no way a baby could hold on 12 hours ......

Curious too!

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    http://www.tribalbaby.org/ECindex.html

The idea is to improve communication between babies and mothers. Most ECers DO co-sleep, Nonny, as they mostly believe in total attachment parenting.

It's not for me and my family at this juncture in time, but I have a great deal of respect for people who do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i know several people who do/did EC their children it does work, although it takes a few weeks/months to really get in the swing of it - one friend was celebrating @ 7months b/c the baby was completely reliably dry by that point in time. (however, she was relatively dry the previous few months, but at 7months mum felt comfortable to go out all day without needing to bring cloth nappies etc to mop up spills)

its not that weird really - i think the whole 'lets let them sit in their own cr@p' mentality is a lot weirder TBH (but thats just me - and i'm a hippy freak )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My girlfriend did the EC thing for a while with her first child as she had a close friend who's Japanese and from what I can gather, that's just what you do in Japan -- it's the norm. It wouldn't surprise me because we took an 18 month old to Japan once and it was incredibly hard to buy her some nappies. We had to hunt them down and the ones we bought were from the US. My girlfriend got quite good at recognising her son's 'signs' (that he was about to go, needed to go etc.), but gave up as they didn't want to co-sleep long-term. She showed me what he would do (scrunching face, nose and so on). Of course looked like nothing to me, not being his mum!

One of my grandmothers told me once that it used to be quite common with toddlers in Australia too, that the mother would 'hold them out', sort of held out, knees tucked in and up, so a child could go. This is pre-washing machines etc. of course, so much easier to hold a child out and save a nappy.
    Last edited by mum_I'm_hungry; 06-07-2010 at 21:38. Reason: typo

Guest Guest
    I've read about it, apparently it works while they're newborns as opposed to starting at 6 months, its doable but harder. I think also you still have to use a nappy, especially overnight, but its about learning their ques and signs and them communicating back. Like when they need a wee, its a sound you make like shh (or something like that) When it was explained to me it made sense how its done, and also when you think about it, nappies haven't been around for that long, so I do think babies were toilet trained younger than they are today.
    Personally I'm lazy and don't have the time to do it, but I think if I really tried even now, we'd have some success as I know his toilet times (unless he's teething and then he's poopoing all day)