View Poll Results: Would you continue your pregnancy if...?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

74 37.95%
  • no

85 43.59%
  • other

36 18.46%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Not far from brisbane but not as close as I want to be
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would continue I have a disease that may affect all my children I have two dd without it(it could show up later I have been told) but they are still carriers of the gene so it is on going and may affect their children and so on.

I refused the tests despite pressure from the doctors. I did not care as I have known many people who were told to abort as their children would not have a good life, my neighbour from 3 years ago had a granddaughter who was only meant to survive 3 weeks max and is now in her 20's she is disabled mentally and chair bound but a very lively "child".

I guess it depends on the individual as a lo of people I have met see people with Autism as someone they need to feel sorry for, I love my DD and would not change my choice even though I have heard of a few people who broke down over not having a normal child

ETA.. if I had a choice now and my life was in danger yes Id abort but only for the sake of my other children

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haven't read all posts but to the OP..... I was actually put in this situation where I had a high risk result from a test and prospectively had to prepare myself for the worst outcome. Before it happened I would have 100% had a termination. However, in being put In that situation everything completely changed and in the end I could not go through with it.

It's a whole other ball game when it actually happens to you and all speculation on the "what if's" goes right out the window.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No, I'm not strong enough and I couldn't add that stress to my family...

Were it my first pregnancy/ child it probably wouldn't matter but I'm stretched thin with my two and their appointments as is so it wouldn't be fair on anyone for me to add still more to that load.. I do admire those mums who do do it and do it so well

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dunno.. I think it's something nobody can really know for sure until they're in the position where they HAVE to decide..

A good friend of mine had a very high risk result for downs syndrome with her DD, and had it not been for a prior m/c (and the thought that it may be her last chance at a 2nd bub), she said she would have terminated so as not to take too much away from her DS (who was about 18 months at the time). Turns out she now has the most perfect, healthy little almost 3 year old..
    For this reason I'd probably be inclined to let nature take it's course. But like I said, I really can't say how I'd feel if faced with the situation. I guess it would also depend on the severity of the problem and whether it was a "risk" or a "definite"..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nope.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did. With my youngest daughter I caught chicken pox, when I was pregnant, from my son. Doctors urged me to terminate as she "could" have been born blind, deaf and/or missing any or all of her limbs but I couldn't do it. Besides having epilepsy, she is a happy, healthy almost 6 year old! I know it doesn't always work out and some disabilities can be worse than others but I'm very glad I didn't listen to those doctors! They can be wrong!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends on the severity... Extreme cases I would consider terminating.

For down syndrome no! My brother has DS and it really sh*ts me when people say they don't have a good quality of life! My brother has an awesome life! He works, studies, drinks, has mates etc like any other normal 24 year old

Thanks
    Reviews
    And also as a few PPs have said doctors can be wrong! My DSD4 was "meant" to have DS and came out completely normal!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Downs/CP/another issue like this- no.

Something physical that could be operated on and they had a good chance of survival- yes.

Something physical that could not be operated on and they would die soon after birth- yes.

Something that would affect them severely mentally for the rest of their life- no.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow old thread.

Yes I would keep the baby I KNOW that 100%. I don't have early testing the only test I have is the 20week scan because I can never hold out to know the gender so I can go shopping..lol. I have the GD test also for my health and the babies but that's it.