View Poll Results: Would you continue your pregnancy if...?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

74 37.95%
  • no

85 43.59%
  • other

36 18.46%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Df and i have bothed discussed this and can't answer for sure if we would or wouldn't until we were in this position.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    it really depends on the type of disability to me. I have worked with people with different types of disability, and with different degrees of severity, and I think I would be able to make some kind of judgment in the situation, based on what the doctor told me, of whether or not the baby would have a quality of life, and whether we could cater to the child's needs. I have come across so many families where very severe disabilities have caused marriage breakdown and poverty, and I guess it would come down to whether or not I felt equipped to handle whatever may come.
    It would be such a hard decision to make.

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    I think I would continue with a pregnancy - but I don't know for sure. It would very much depend on what the disability was, how sure that I was that the diagnosis was correct, how accurate the tests were, and whether I thought I had the capacity (in all senses of the word) to raise a child with a disability of that nature.

However, you can never tell what you're going to do in such situations - so I don't know for sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do not know...
    with the first child we had no nt scan as we decided that we do not want to terminate no matter what and I am very anti abortion when it comes to me and we were very firm on it ...
    now I am 35 and I am thinking what if a bub might suffer as a result? I mean if something would cause him/her a constant suffering and pain when born? how would I live with such a choice that we made on his/her behave? I hope that we would never find out...We also have our DD to consider now...so I do not know what we do if we have a second child and also not sure if my hubby's attitude changed (we did not discuss it yet) but mine did since we had a DD as now I am taking very close to heart children illnesses and before I just thought that our love would be enough no matter what was wrong with a bub...now I am afraid that it is not always enough...
    I wish no woman has to decide on that
    I do not know honestly...

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaBear03 View Post
    I would not terminate a pregnancy unless it was life-threatening, and only then I would because I have another child to take into consideration. I would not feel good about it even if it was a matter of life and death.
    I agree and this is what we did (and DD is perfect, as the tests were wrong)

Thanks
    Reviews

Wink hmmmm...

honestly, we thought about doing it during the early stage of the pregnancy coz I took Roaccutane (causes fetal abnormalities and serious damages to the organs) w/c is a X drug months before I became pregnant.. BUT, with support and prayers that the baby's okay, we didn't do it and did some scans and turns out bub is okay.. And we're expecting her by the end of the month..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oops I accidently said no but I mean yes.. I would never terminate

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i'm like, 90+% positive i would continue a pregnancy - just cause i'm not planning to have those particular tests done (so i wouldn't know), and the "disabilities" that i'm actually worried about, can't be screened for anyway

i'm not sure if i would terminate if i found out there were major (non-chromosomal) issues that made the fetus not-compatible with life, and were visible on a normal ultra-sound. i think it would depend on a LOT of other factors (partner, financial situation, support base, older siblings etc).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm like you, and would continue regardless. I also prefer not to get the scans because feel that they just induce worry. However some people that would continue regardless would still prefer to get the scans to be forewarned about what they might be in for. And of course there are others that would choose to get the scans and discontinue the flawed pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd like to think that everyone, no matter what, has a purpose.
    Ideally,I'd go through with the pregnancy.
    Last edited by petalwings; 01-07-2010 at 13:21.