View Poll Results: Would you continue your pregnancy if...?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

74 37.95%
  • no

85 43.59%
  • other

36 18.46%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    pregnancy is a gamble. even falling pregnant is a gamble, it's a huge stroke of luck. i won't give up a child for anything. cos the child i'm given is the child i'm meant to have and it's a miracle that they're there in the first place.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeee For This Useful Post:

LoveyDovey  (25-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oops. I answered no because I *think* I wouldn't terminate. I meant yes because I would continue the pregnancy.

I hope to God I never have to make the decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm feeling a bit nervous replying to this thread because I have my NT scan tomorrow

Theoretically, maybe I would terminate if there was a severe disability... But realistically, I don't know if I could actually go through with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I would continue the pregnancy. We were offered a termination with ds when we found out about his Spina Bifida & we both said no straight away. He is a gorgeous little boy with the best nature, he just can't walk, use the toilet & has development delays. We couldn't imagine life without him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I voted other as how can anyone possibly know what they would do unless they were in a specific situation that forced them to decide?

As far as the NT is concerned, I had this scan with both DD's as I don't think I would have aborted but I wanted the chance to try and prepare myself and my family for a child with a disability to become part of our family. I would have found it harder to deal with a 'surprise'.

TrulyBlessed is offline Winner 2009 - Member you would most like to meet in Real Life
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We have been in this situation only in Aug/Sept last year.

Our 12 week NT scan results came back drastic. 5.9mm fold in the back of the neck (anything under 2mm is classed as low risk). Our odds for severe downs was reduced to 1:2 & for trisomy 13 & 18 were 1:4.

The radiologist advised for immediate termination. We were against that. We were only having this scan to prepare ourselves if we were to have a disabled child. We weren't terminating on odds. Our thoughts were to let nature take its course.

Instead we opted to go for a cvs to find out what was wrong exactly to know if we needed to prepare to say good bye or to start researching on what we should expect etc. Unfortunately we weren't able to have the CVS done as the placenta was posterior & bub was in the way. We were due to go for an amnio but unfortunately nature did take its course a few days before we were due to be in Brissy for the amnio & our little boy passed away in utero.

I was induced the next day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my view is it depends on the severity of the abnormality and its impact on quality of life, your families situation and support network, and your own personal views.

and may i take this chance to remind everyone that the nt scan is only a risk assessment for 3 of the most common chromosomal abnormalities, and that it is actually the morphology scan (20 weeks) that checks for physical congential abnormalites, brain, eye, heart, spinal, kidney etc etc. and that congential heart defects are the most common birth defects with only 20% being related to a genetic condition.

sorry for the tangent, just a subject close to home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrulyBlessed View Post
    We have been in this situation only in Aug/Sept last year.

Our 12 week NT scan results came back drastic. 5.9mm fold in the back of the neck (anything under 2mm is classed as low risk). Our odds for severe downs was reduced to 1:2 & for trisomy 13 & 18 were 1:4.

The radiologist advised for immediate termination. We were against that. We were only having this scan to prepare ourselves if we were to have a disabled child. We weren't terminating on odds. Our thoughts were to let nature take its course.

Instead we opted to go for a cvs to find out what was wrong exactly to know if we needed to prepare to say good bye or to start researching on what we should expect etc. Unfortunately we weren't able to have the CVS done as the placenta was posterior & bub was in the way. We were due to go for an amnio but unfortunately nature did take its course a few days before we were due to be in Brissy for the amnio & our little boy passed away in utero.

I was induced the next day.
    I'm sorry for your loss.

TrulyBlessed is offline Winner 2009 - Member you would most like to meet in Real Life
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaBear03 View Post
    I'm sorry for your loss.
    Thanks hun.

We are both young, healthy & no family history of any genetic defect. Just goes to show you how much of a lottery it really is.

Turns out he did infact have none of the trisomy they thought he did (13,18 or 21). He was missing his whole X chromosome.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It depends. If bub had down syndrom or medical conditions that could be fixed to a degree allowing the child to live a relatively normal life then yes I would definately keep it, however if the problems were to the point that the child would be in constant pain and suffering for life then no. I wouldn't see it fair in alot of ways not only on that child but the children I would already have. But I would need to know that it was that bad 100% before termination.