+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    A very interesting thread. When do you know when to take DHEA?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Others may correct me if I am wrong..... but DHEA is used for low ovarian reserve (AMH), high CD2 FSH and poor egg / embryo quality.

Thanks
    Reviews
    PinkB, I think you're spot on that the research shows improvement for some with DOR and improving egg quality.

Anemone, that is so interesting about those with an increasing AMH likely deriving most benefit. I have a reasonable AMH level (10.2) but have been concerned about my egg quality (see my sig). I have no idea if it will help me, but I am willing to try and luckily have an FS willing to prescribe. TBH at this point there is very lttle I wouldn't be willing to try!

Helenmac, I'm sorry that DHEA did not bring you the results were you were after. I find it is such a lottery much of this IVF caper! I wish you all the best for you ED cycle and hope this is your time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Starf1sh.

Apart from DHEA, there is some evidence that high dose CoQ10 (300 mg twice a day) can improve egg quality - in mice anyway! That sort of dose is hard to do with tabs available in Oz - I bought some 300 mg tabs online from the States (from an Ebay seller that *looked* reputable, but of course it's buyer beware).

Another thing is melatonin - but that is also hard to get hold of in Aus. I didn't take this...and I never got round to getting our bedroom better blinds (apparently our melatonin production is better if we sleep in a completely dark environment).

Here is a link about the study (on humans but v small numbers)

http://www.news-medical.net/news/201...VF.aspx?page=2

Cannotgiveup - Id completely agree with PB. Some women start thinking about DHEA after a few cycles with not-so-great egg numbers or quality. In my case my AMH (and antral follie count) was found to be low before I started IVF so I was able to start DHEA before cycling. The difficulty is convincing many FSs to do this, they usually want a few poor-response cycles before prescribing, if they agree to prescribe at all...

PB - Good luck for tomorrow, will be thinking of you...
    Last edited by anemone; 14-10-2010 at 11:30. Reason: forgot

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Anemone (my fellow sea creature ) for all the info and the link. I had been on CoQ10 150mg for a while, upped it to 300mg daily a couple of mnths ago at my insistence and naturopath commented I should have lots of energy on that dose...Any known side effects of being on 600mg?

I also read the melatonin study, how the h3ll do they retrieve ooyctes from mice....seriously!! I guess that makes gals like us the 'real' guinea pigs when all the published clinical trials you mentioned have only been done with mice. Will ask FS more about his study when I meet with him next, I think it was more looking at outcomes for women on 75mg DHEA.

TBH I think I must rattle when I walk with all the supplements I am on and now with DHEA in the mix too. I counted them up the other day, 14 tablets!!
    Last edited by Starf1sh; 14-10-2010 at 20:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies,
    Have been doing some really interesting reading on DHEA and thought I would share. I am particularly interested in the idea the DHEA likely reduces chromosomal abnormalities in embryos as this is what my FS thinks is causing my repeated chem pregs.

http://www.centerforhumanreprod.com/dhea.html

As for the symptoms, I think the greasy hair/skin is settling down for me, perhaps the body is adjusting?? Have been on it for just on 2 months now. However (a giggle for you!) recently for the 1st time EVER my waxing lady asked me if she could wax my upper lip! Hmm, unwanted hair anyone??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Starfish,

I just tweezed two hairs from my neck today - yikes!

I spoke to soon and still have the pimples - seem to get whiteheads - usually one a day. And hair is a bit greasier.

My weight and boob size seem to have stayed up since my last cycle so watching that too.

I hope it works for us!

Will you wait til DHEA has kicked in further before cycling? I plan to ask this tomorro when seeing FS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey PinkB!

I am now having a break till Jan/Feb, so will have been on it at least 4 months before I cycle again. Didn't really plan it, just worked out that way. (BTW FS didn't seem to think it was necessary to wait )

Are you seeing your usual FS or Dr S tomorrow? I have a review with him next week.

Hope you're on the mend from your lap

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Starfish,

Seeing Dr S tomorro - he did the lap. Very interested in results and working out a plan from here.

To do a long cycle it would at least be another month anyway as AF is due soon - although whether the surgery disrupts this I am not sure.

I am keen to find out if he has had any patients with natural miracles on the DHEA as you do hear of that (its nice to dream!!!)

Yes on the mend, still bloated and uncomfy but the terrible gas and referred pain finally settled today.

will let u know how i get on

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ladies on or who have been on DHEA I'm hoping you might be able to help me.

Have been on DHEA 75mg for 3 months now, mostly things have been good, had really greasy hair in the early days but that seems to have settled down and have def noticed an increase in hair growth on my body! No major issues with spots until now... In the last couple of weeks the spots have really increased and I am wondering if others noticed this as time went on?? Also wondering if anyone has noticed it is worse leading up to AF and ovulation which seems to be the case for me. Have them on my neck and chest mainly

Will be a very small price to pay if it gets me a sticky BFP!