+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Trying to get by,

I just wanted to let you know that there are 2 compounding chemists in Canberra, so there is a choice. Bluebell Pharmacy in Ainslie and Macquarie Discount Pharmacy (but you could probably put your script in at any of their other pharmacies). I am sure I had similar issues with DHEA initially, but it did go away.

I really hope things start looking better for you soon.

Amabel

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi ladies, just preparing myself for a BFN.. Were you prescribed DHEA from your FS or did you decide to try it after reading online? Just wondering if it can help me and if I should mention it to FS. Sorry if it's been discussed earlier.
    Last edited by Rachael3; 05-07-2012 at 18:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rachael – I wasn’t prescribed DHEA I had to ask my FS to give me a prescription after reading about it online. She was reluctant at first saying there is no evidence, but reading the experiences of the ladies on BH as well as doing some Googling, I really wanted to try it as it is good for improving egg quality, which is part of my infertility. Anyway, it worked well for me (even though no pregnancy yet) so I’m glad I persisted in asking for it. Can’t wait to see if it’s helped in my current cycle too. BTW, I really hope you’re not having a BFN, when will you know for sure?

Wanabemum – I have also heard that you need to take DHEA for 3-4 months but haven’t heard about overdosing on it, although it makes sense if you take it long term. Have you done an IVF cycle whilst taking it? If you do go off it, it would be good to try and do a cycle within 3 months of coming off before it goes out of your system and all the good work it should have done won’t be a waste of time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read on-line and asked. My first FS was more than happy to support me and prescribe it. Second hasnt been and has now wrecked my build-up of it. I would ensure if you do get a script and your FS is reluctant that you lay in supplies and ask for any repeats well before you run out, ie a couple of months before. Then if they don't want to keep prescribing it or you are with a new FS that isn't supportive, you have time to find someone else to prescribe it for you. It needs to build up in your system and be sustained to work. Also ask for 75mg. The studies that confirmed its effectiveness were all done on 75mg daily, FS often want to prescribe 50mg and that is not as effective.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi girls!
    Firstlytrying; I would possible go down to 25 mg of dhea so your body get used to the hormones and then up it to 50 after two weeks or so, then up again to 75mg. Then the side effects might not be so very strong.
    I started dhea 2 months ago after reading about it and several on my bub hub friends had good results from it. It was a bit nerve-wrecking to start it, but after I failed my FET cycle (which was 2 year old eggs as I had my son inJanuray2011 = 5 ivf's), so after that failed cycle I wanted to start taking dhea as we were doing fresh cycle rather soonish.
    Well, who know what happen, but after 2 months of taking it I fell pregnant naturally
    mind you, very early still, I am 5 weeks today. This is after 6 ivfs in total and we started trying for a baby in 2006!!!!!! I am now 40 and I just cant believe how lucky I am, I did coQ10 at the same time plus baby aspirin...if anyone is interested in that info.....
    To me it seems like a miracle...
    wishing everyone a cracker of a cycle and hopefully some very good news....
    Last edited by swedeendie; 22-07-2012 at 14:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    hi

just to add....its useful to be monitored while on dhea as it can disrupt several things that i know of such as your FSH levels and can raise your progesterone (which can ruin your IVF cycle if too high)...if your FS is dead against it i would ask them why as the research suggests that while it doesnt work for everyone it does w0rk for about 1 in 3 women

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rachael my first FS wouldn't prescribe DHEA as he checked my levels and they were good. After a lot of failure I was desperate and specifically changed my FS so that I could go to an FS who I found out was a real advocate of DHEA. I was immediately put on a high dose of 75. Unfortunately my hormone levels were not tested by this second FS even though I was prescribed DHEA and they have not been specifically monitored for DHEA at all since. I was on this high dose for 8 months. I found my oestrogen levels became too high for me to be able to even start IVF in this time! I also experienced a bit of depression, lethargy and sore breasts - all signs of high oestrogen levels. I made the difficult decision to go off the dhea a few weeks ago and all my levels have almost gone back to normal and I feel much better. There is not conclusive proof that the DHEA caused the high oestrogen but apparently if there is an excessive amount of this in your body it can convert to other hormones like oestrogen or progesterone (I am just a lay person but that is what I understand). When I went to my GP complaining of my symptoms he gave me a blood test and advised that my high oestrogen levels were probably caused by the DHeA and he almost begged me to go off this. High oestrogen as well as making you infertile can also give you cancer. My only advice is to make sure your hormones are measured before and during the time you are on DHEA.
    Last edited by wanabemum; 23-07-2012 at 12:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    swedeendie I am interested in baby aspirin. What is it exactly? how much did you take? Why didn't you take normal aspirin? I would love to give this a try.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi mumtochris sorry it has taken so long for me to answer this post! MY DHEA levels made my oestrogen levels too high so I had my ivf cycles cancelled during the months that i was on DHEa. If you go off DHEA apparently it can also unbalance your hormones for a few months afterwards so if you have an overdose of this like I did it is better to wait a few months before it is completely out of your system. I didn't do this and was told by my fs that going off the DHEA weeks before could have been the reason why my body wouldn't react to the IVF drugs and ended up needing to be cancelled It really is a very delicate hormone that needs to be closely monitored if it is to work effectively.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies,

I am new to this thread. I am preparing for my 3rd IVF/ICSI and this time was prescribed DHEA 75mg.
    I have been taking 50mg for a month (October) then increased the dose to 75mg since beginning of November.. On top of experiencing a few side effects , my period completely disappeared, no period for the last 10 weeks!
    I am planning to stop taking it, but was wondering how long it would take for my period to come back?

Any feedback much appreciated.

Cheers
    Flaussie